Changes At Free Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by pianotuna, Sep 21, 2008.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I've wondered why the number of campgrounds listed has dropped by about 400 over the past week. Here is why.

"Due to many requests from FreeCampgrounds.com readers, we have done away with listings for Wal-Mart stores as freebie overnight stops for RVs. The fact is, most Wal-Marts allow free overnight stays, and those that don't have signs that say so, or are listed in our "No Park Wal-Mart" directory available for a minimal charge at RVbookstore.com. FreeCampgrounds.com will continue to list other places where RVers can spend the night in an RV for $10 or less."

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Didn't realize the numbers had dropped. But there are still lots of campgrounds on here. I can understand the conflict with "FreeCampgrounds.com "

JJ

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

I'm very happy they have removed the Walmarts. I would rather stay in a cheap to free campground any day of the week than in a Walmart lot. That is not to say I've not stayed at one when it is convenient and I'm trying to get from point A to point B with the minimum of fuss and expense. I've been known to be a "driving fool" and do 857 miles in a day @ 50 miles per hour.

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Sep 21 2008, 06:16 PM) [snapback]13263[/snapback]

Didn't realize the numbers had dropped. But there are still lots of campgrounds on here. I can understand the conflict with "FreeCampgrounds.com "

JJ

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Sep 21 2008, 09:10 PM) [snapback]13269[/snapback]

Hi JJ,

I'm very happy they have removed the Walmarts. I would rather stay in a cheap to free campground any day of the week than in a Walmart lot. That is not to say I've not stayed at one when it is convenient and I'm trying to get from point A to point B with the minimum of fuss and expense. I've been known to be a "driving fool" and do 857 miles in a day @ 50 miles per hour.

I haven't yet done a "Wal-Mart." I'm leary of doing that. I did boondock at some BLM land along Interstate 84 near Rufus, OR. I only stay there if there are at least 3 RV's there.

JJ

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm sorry, but this thread has me totally confused. Are you talking about this website when you say campground listings have dropped? I wasn't aware there were any Wal-Marts listed on here in the first place. What am I not understanding?

6. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Sep 22 2008, 04:28 PM) [snapback]13274[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but this thread has me totally confused. Are you talking about this website when you say campground listings have dropped? I wasn't aware there were any Wal-Marts listed on here in the first place. What am I not understanding?

They're talking about FreeCampgrounds.com

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but like TexasRVers said, I wasn't aware that Wal Marts were even on here.

Also, I hadn't noticed that campground numbers had dropped.

JJ

8. DRS

DRS
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Sep 22 2008, 08:31 PM) [snapback]13277[/snapback]

Yeah, but like TexasRVers said, I wasn't aware that Wal Marts were even on here.

Also, I hadn't noticed that campground numbers had dropped.

JJ

JJ if you notice the title of the OP, He is referring to the web site " freecampgrounds.com" NOT this forum.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DRS @ Sep 22 2008, 10:54 PM) [snapback]13279[/snapback]

JJ if you notice the title of the OP, He is referring to the web site " freecampgrounds.com" NOT this forum.

OH! Silly me, I just re-read the title of this thread, yes, the OP was referring to Free Campgrounds, not this web site. Ok, now it makes sense. Yes, FreeCampgrounds did have way too many Wal-Marts listed, in my opinion, not "real" campgrounds.

JJ

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks everyone for your explanations. I wasn't even aware of a website for free campgrounds. This now makes sense to me.