Chicago area campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Ted, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Ted

Ted
    Expand Collapse

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have regarding choosing a campground in the Chicago area.....lets say within 50 miles. I will be in Chicago for about 10 days in late August on vacation, traveling with a 37' fifth wheel pulled by a MDT....so its necessary to get a fairly large site.

Thanks for any recommendations.

2. dgsanders

dgsanders
    Expand Collapse

I live NW of Chicago and know of a couple of campgrounds.

There is a KOA in Union, IL. It's next to Donley's Wild West Town (http://www.wildwesttown.com/) which would be fun especially if you are traveling with young ones.

The other is Lehman's Lakeside Resort in Marengo, IL. I have driven through this campground and it seems to be nice.

Both are just off of 90, West of Elgin.

3. peakcomm

peakcomm
    Expand Collapse

A few other ideas:

Windy City Campground, Tinley Park (south suburbs)--All their pull-thru sites will accommodate your rig quite comfortably. This is no destination park; too much highway noise and too little shade for that. But it's easy in-and-out of the city by expressway or by Metra, and one of the very few RV parks in the area open all year.

Illinois State Beach at Zion (far north suburbs)--It's been a few years since I last visited, but you should be able to find a number of sites here for a big rig. Hook-ups are electric only, you'll track lots of sand into the RV, but the location right on Lake Michigan is quiet and pleasant, and it's easy to jump on the expressway or Metra to run into Chicago.

RockCut State Park in Rockford (an hour west of Chicago)--This is our favorite Chicago-area stop, one of the jewels of the Illinois park system. Lots of sites here that are roomy for our 39' 5er and crew-cab F450, so you should have no trouble. 30amp electric, convenient dump and water station. Beautiful wooded sites with long, level concrete pads.

Sycamore RV Park in Sycamore (about 40 minutes west of Chicago)--This one's a little bit of a mixed bag, quiet, with mature trees and a pretty little lake, with amenities like instant phone hook-ups and easy access for big rigs. But the sites are close and are ENTIRELY gravel, right up the the tree trunks.

4. Sal_Workamper

Sal_Workamper
    Expand Collapse

I recommend Chicago NW in Union, IL. It's right off of the interstate which makes it a short trip to Chitown... we were there not about 3 weeks ago and the owners have done alot of work to imporve the facility... and they offer FREE, in the comfort of your rv WiFi!

S. :D

5. jimisham

jimisham
    Expand Collapse

You might want to consider Indiana Dunes State Park on the south shore of Lake Michigan.
    The campground has been renovated with modern restrooms and 140 campsites.
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/properties/park_dunes.html
    It's located about a mile from the South Shore Commuter train which has frequent runs and very resonable rates. It'll take you to the Randolph Street station in downtown Chicago .