Class A Newbee Question

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by JackHammr', Jul 25, 2009.

1. JackHammr'

JackHammr'
    Expand Collapse

Been doing it for years , and we're finally seriously considering a Class A coach ..

Have found a couple used ones that are great deals ..

Both are 32 foot Suncruisers ..

Being a trucker , diesel is my obvious first choice , but the expense isnt justified at this time ..

So I know this is subjective but :

I have "heard" that gas engines are only worth 50k-70k miles , seems true likely , but cant say for sure , same for transmissions ..

The two we have narrowed down to are both between 25k and 30k miles , and I doubt we'll put 50 k more on them ..

I wanna buy once and be done with it .. Unless I win the lottery , and then I'll splurge on the $250,000 coaches I lust over .. But alas I dont play the lottery ..

What say ye ?? Will a gas engine maintained see 75k miles ??

TIA
    Jack

2. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JackHammr' @ Jul 25 2009, 06:09 AM) [snapback]17748[/snapback]

Been doing it for years , and we're finally seriously considering a Class A coach ..

Have found a couple used ones that are great deals ..

Both are 32 foot Suncruisers ..

Being a trucker , diesel is my obvious first choice , but the expense isnt justified at this time ..

So I know this is subjective but :

I have "heard" that gas engines are only worth 50k-70k miles , seems true likely , but cant say for sure , same for transmissions ..

The two we have narrowed down to are both between 25k and 30k miles , and I doubt we'll put 50 k more on them ..

I wanna buy once and be done with it .. Unless I win the lottery , and then I'll splurge on the $250,000 coaches I lust over .. But alas I dont play the lottery ..

What say ye ?? Will a gas engine maintained see 75k miles ??

TIA
    Jack

Your last sentence says it all. If the engine is MAINTAINED, it should have no problem lasting 75K. FWIW, I have a five year old Suncruiser with only 23K miles that I'm sure will never see 75K miles as long as I own it. It is well maintained and in excellent shape. If it is ever sold to another person, they will be getting a good deal.

3. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I have a DP and a v10 in a class C. I will say that I doubt my Bornfree will see 75K without some service. I know that you can find a used DP for abut 45K or so that will go 500K or more and have a better ride. I also know that there are different strokes for different folks and how you will use the unit makes the decision for you. Think about an engine being used close to its max rating and maybe over it and the heat it will generate climbing hills. I am not saying you should not get one but know going in the previous use and how you are going to use it.

4. JackHammr'

JackHammr'
    Expand Collapse

Well we did it yesterday , after looking at one for a month or better , sleeping on it , deciding one day for , the next day against , back and forth ..

Clean as a pen , turned 27,800 on the way home with it ..

Like a kid with a new toy ..

Well hey , I am a kid with a new toy ...

5. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JackHammr' @ Jul 28 2009, 02:06 PM) [snapback]17817[/snapback]

...Well hey , I am a kid with a new toy ...

Hurray!!! ;)
    New vistas are in your future! Feel free to keep us all in the loop on your new adventures!
    And...don't be afraid to do a campground/RV park review!
    Cheers!

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We have a Suncruiser 33V and it is a great coach. Good Luck

7. gatordan

gatordan
    Expand Collapse

Jack: Before you commit to gas, and knowing you want a diesel, there are some GREAT buys on lower-end diesel coaches, both new and used. All our diesel coaches have been with Cummins engines coupled with the great Allison transmissions. We have had no powertrain problems with any of the coaches after approximately 300,000 miles of travel

8. JackHammr'

JackHammr'
    Expand Collapse

hey hey now ya tell me ..

Gas will do us just fine for the forseeable future ..

Diesel is in my future somewhere .. Jus cant justify it at the moment ..

Besides this was the steal of the century and it's paid for to boot ..