Click Able Map

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by engrpat, Dec 29, 2007.

1. engrpat

engrpat
    Expand Collapse

I am on a new computer and no longer find the RV map with the locations of campgrounds where you can just click and the campgrounds in the area come up. Can someone tell what I may be doing wrong? Looked in FAQ's but nothing there.

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(engrpat @ Dec 29 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]9685[/snapback]

I am on a new computer and no longer find the RV map with the locations of campgrounds where you can just click and the campgrounds in the area come up. Can someone tell what I may be doing wrong? Looked in FAQ's but nothing there.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/

That gives me the clickable map.

JJ

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

engrpat,

I am not clear as to which map you are referring to. Are you talking about the US map that appears on this site's home page? If you click on a state it gives you a list of cities in that state. Then you choose a city and it gives you a list of campgrounds in that city. Is this the map you can't see anymore?

4. engrpat

engrpat
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 29 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]9690[/snapback]

engrpat,

I am not clear as to which map you are referring to. Are you talking about the US map that appears on this site's home page? If you click on a state it gives you a list of cities in that state. Then you choose a city and it gives you a list of campgrounds in that city. Is this the map you can't see any?

Yes you are correct. The campgrounds just don't show where you can click on them. Any help will be appreciated.
    Pat

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Ok, let me see if I'm understanding you. You can see the US map, but you cannot see any campgrounds shown ON THE MAP as opposed to the LIST that I mentioned earlier. If this is the case there never have been campgrounds actually shown on the map as far as I know. The only way you can get to a campground listing is by clicking on the state and then on the city.

Now a while back someone posted a link to a website that did put campgrounds on a map. This sounds like what you are talking about except that site did not have reviews--just the location. Even if it is not the site you were thinking of, you should check it out. It is a "google earth" format and shows both roads and satellite photos. It also indicates where campgrounds are although I have found a few of the locations to be a bit off. The best part is that you can zoom in close enough on some places to actually see the RV sites with RV's sitting on them. The URL is www.epgsoft.com/CampgroundMap/

Hope this helps.

6. engrpat

engrpat
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 29 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]9693[/snapback]

Ok, let me see if I'm understanding you. You can see the US map, but you cannot see any campgrounds shown ON THE MAP as opposed to the LIST that I mentioned earlier. If this is the case there never have been campgrounds actually shown on the map as far as I know. The only way you can get to a campground listing is by clicking on the state and then on the city.

Now a while back someone posted a link to a website that did put campgrounds on a map. This sounds like what you are talking about except that site did not have reviews--just the location. Even if it is not the site you were thinking of, you should check it out. It is a "google earth" format and shows both roads and satellite photos. It also indicates where campgrounds are although I have found a few of the locations to be a bit off. The best part is that you can zoom in close enough on some places to actually see the RV sites with RV's sitting on them. The URL is www.epgsoft.com/CampgroundMap/

Hope this helps.

I think I may have the answer as to why the campgrounds fail to show on the map; this new computer is running Vista as its OS. From what I have read in the last day and today there are some sites that won't load properly. Not the site's fault just that Vista has problems with some coding.
    Thank you all. Guess I will just use my computer that runs XP.

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(engrpat @ Dec 30 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]9697[/snapback]

I think I may have the answer as to why the campgrounds fail to show on the map; this new computer is running Vista as its OS. From what I have read in the last day and today there are some sites that won't load properly. Not the site's fault just that Vista has problems with some coding.
    Thank you all. Guess I will just use my computer that runs XP.

I haven't heard anything good about VISTA. Avoid VISTA. Keep your XP as long as you can. My mom has VISTA. Problems.

JJ

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Engrpat,

I owe you an apology. I really thought you were confusing this site’s map with another one when you said it was supposed to have clickable locations for campgrounds. I answered your problem by saying that this map has never had clickable locations, but I may stand corrected. It seems another member is having the same problem. See his post titled “Campground Dots.” As I told him I have never seen clickable dots on the map I get, but apparently they do appear on some people’s computers. If that is the case (and apparently it is) I have no idea why the dots appear on the map on some computers and not others—including mine. Sorry if I confused the issue even more. And by the way I have XP not Vista, so in my case that is not the problem. Maybe someone else can tell all of us how to get the dots to show. It sounds like a great feature.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I get the clickable maps. Each state (not the US map) has them. You click on the area and a box pops up with the town you can click on to go to those reviews. I have Vista.

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

The link below works for me and it gives you a link to this site's reviews. We have used it a lot. You must zero in to an area before seeing the actual flags popup. You can drag it around with your mouse also. Very nice. I have XP.

http://www.epgsoft.com/CampgroundMap/

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks Lindsay, the website you mentioned is good. I had talked about it above. But this still doesn't explain why some of us have clickable dots on this site's US map and some of us don't. Being one that "don't" I would like to find out why and how I can get them because they sound like a really good feature to have.

Also I checked out Cheryl's statement about having clickable dots on the states' maps. I don't have them there either. All I can do is click on a state which gives me a drop down menu of towns. After I choose a town I get the reviews for the capmgrounds that are there. This is the only way that this site has worked for me. Until now I didn't know some people had clicking capabilities. Now isn't that discrimination!?:lol:

12. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

The site Lindsay posted doesn't list *all* the campgrounds at campgroundreviews.com For example do a search on Minot at the other site--it shows two campgrounds--but not the Casa Motel and RV park. It also will not accept "input" for Canadian locations--which is very sad.

I don't get a map with dots to click either. I tried Firefox and IE.

13. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We do not have the maps with clickable dots either, but we have an old computer system, going to have to update soon. I guess it's our loss.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Here's how it works on my computer:
    On the state map, it shows a hand. When the hand is "open" (all fingers up) then you can move the map to get different areas, you can also zoom in and out. When you move the hand over a clickable spot, it turns into a pointing hand, one finger up. When you click, it gives you the town name, you click on it and it takes you to the reviews for the campgrounds in that town. I don't know why it doesn't work for everybody. Maybe you need some kind of extra added download on your computer, such as Java or something like that.

15. engrpat

engrpat
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 31 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]9713[/snapback]

Engrpat,

I owe you an apology. I really thought you were confusing this site’s map with another one when you said it was supposed to have clickable locations for campgrounds. I answered your problem by saying that this map has never had clickable locations, but I may stand corrected. It seems another member is having the same problem. See his post titled “Campground Dots.” As I told him I have never seen clickable dots on the map I get, but apparently they do appear on some people’s computers. If that is the case (and apparently it is) I have no idea why the dots appear on the map on some computers and not others—including mine. Sorry if I confused the issue even more. And by the way I have XP not Vista, so in my case that is not the problem. Maybe someone else can tell all of us how to get the dots to show. It sounds like a great feature.

No problem l understand. I have talked with a couple of geeks that I know and all I get is a blank look......so when I need to zero in I will use my XP machine with Firefox althou it would be nice to be able to use the little dots on the laptop while traveling.
    Thanks to all who took the time and interest to answer, much apprecated.
    Pat

16. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

17. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Happiest Camper,

I use Firefox and the clickable map feature does not work for me. Windows XP Media Edition 64 bit. Any suggestions as to how to make it work?

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Jan 6 2008, 07:05 PM) [snapback]9803[/snapback]

Okay, looking through the web page code, this site is using a google maps api. There is a section at google's support that addresses problem when using Internet Explorer. The page is http://local.google.com/support/bin/answer...mp;answer=21849

Just another reason why I prefer Firefox.

18. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jan 6 2008, 08:42 PM) [snapback]9805[/snapback]

Hi Happiest Camper,

I use Firefox and the clickable map feature does not work for me. Windows XP Media Edition 64 bit. Any suggestions as to how to make it work?

Beats me.

19. rzbztpa

rzbztpa
    Expand Collapse

I'm so excited that you shared this link. We're fairly new to RV camping and I've yet to find a lot of campgrounds. This is going to help.
    Thanks.

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jan 1 2008, 08:25 PM) [snapback]9735[/snapback]

The link below works for me and it gives you a link to this site's reviews. We have used it a lot. You must zero in to an area before seeing the actual flags popup. You can drag it around with your mouse also. Very nice. I have XP.

http://www.epgsoft.com/CampgroundMap/

20. engrpat

engrpat
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(engrpat @ Jan 6 2008, 05:21 PM) [snapback]9802[/snapback]

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 31 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]9713[/snapback]

Engrpat,

No problem l understand. I have talked with a couple of geeks that I know and all I get is a blank look......so when I need to zero in I will use my XP machine with Firefox althou it would be nice to be able to use the little dots on the laptop while traveling.
    Thanks to all who took the time and interest to answer, much apprecated.
    Pat