Cold Weather

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Texasrvers, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I just wanted to ask all our friends in the northern US and Canada to please close the door up there. We have gotten enough cold air here in south Texas, and we would like to return to our normal warm and sunny days. Thanks you for your help. :)

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I think that's a wonderful idea. We love having those Winter Texans here but they could have come without bringing the cold with them.

3. pillaz

pillaz
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Feb 1 2011, 03:34 PM) [snapback]25373[/snapback]

I think that's a wonderful idea. We love having those Winter Texans here but they could have come without bringing the cold with them.

Sorry, Its the darned Kids. They keep leaving the door open. Hey at least you are not shoveling snow. :D

4. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

You could ask homeland security to stop the illegal alien snowflakes at the border, or maybe the agriculture department could do something about this invasive species? How about requiring a visa before allowing the cold weather to enter the US? ;-)

5. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Actually the 1-2' of snow we are expecting tonight and tomorrow in the Chicago area are coming north from Oklahoma. Time to go shovel (and I do mean shovel, not snow-blow) this OK snow again.

6. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I'll trade you inches for degrees. It's supposed to get to -21 tonight. I'll trade you 1-2 degrees for every inch. I prefer shoveling to freezing.

Didn't you hear, the bad weather has been caused by Obamacare. They want everyone to get sick to test the new system.

7. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

When we moved from Michigan to Florida 33 years ago, all our friends asked "how can you stand all that heat and humidity?" My answer to that? "I've never had to shovel two feet of heat and humidity out of my driveway before I can go to work." I've never regretted it. I went to Walmart today in shorts and a t-shirt.

8. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I think it must be "global warming"! In the past I've enjoyed winter camping here in Lubbock TX, as it's usually shirtsleeve weather. Right now it's 2 degrees F, wind chill -16.

I'm not sure how much insulation you need to keep pipes from freezing, but have opted to just disconnect the water supply, and get water from the internal tank. I'm wondering if there is a point that I should dump a little anti-freeze in the system if it continues? I used to fully winterize the trailer when not using it year round, but now I'm full time, and camping in the Southwestern states etc in winter,and did not think I'd have to worry about it.

9. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Feb 2 2011, 12:58 AM) [snapback]25379[/snapback]

When we moved from Michigan to Florida 33 years ago, all our friends asked "how can you stand all that heat and humidity?" My answer to that? "I've never had to shovel two feet of heat and humidity out of my driveway before I can go to work." I've never regretted it. I went to Walmart today in shorts and a t-shirt.

reminds me of this I got a few years ago.

New Yorker in Florida!

April 30th:
    Florida is fantastic! Just got here and love it already. Now this is a state that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings.What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

May 14th:
    Really heating up. Got to 89 today. Not a problem, live in an air conditioned home, drive an air conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sun worshipper.

June 5th:
    Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. NO MORE SHOVELING SNOW EITHER! Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 1st:
    The temperature hasn't been below 90 all week, not even at night. Where are those ocean breezes we heard about, still seems hot. Getting used to it will take a while, I guess. I sure miss my LP collection, though. I'll have
    to remember not to leave anything made out of plastic in my car. Got one of those fuzzy steering wheel covers. Cheaper than the burn ointment for my hands. I always wondered what burnt flesh smelled like.

July 15th:
    Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.) Missed two days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though: got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
    I miss our cat, Tabby. He snuck into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got out to the hot car for lunch, he'd swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and just as I opened the door he exploded all over $2,000 worth of leather upholstery. I told the kids he ran away. The car now smells like Kibbles and poop. No more pets in this heat!

July 25th:
    Ocean breezes, my ass. Hot is hot!! The home air conditioner is on the fritz and AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts. Only hope for a break in the heat would be a hurricane.

July 30th:
    Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. Swatting the swamp mosquitoes that are as big as B-52's. $1,500 in darn house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

Aug 4th:
    100 degrees. Finally got the air conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to about 90. The electric bill is almost as much as the house payment. And two old lady drivers almost ran me off the road.
    I hate this state.

Aug 8th:
    If another jerk cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to tear his head off. Damn heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like roasted Garfield!!

Aug. 10th:
    The weather report might as well be a damn recording: Hot and sunny. It's been too hot two #@*& months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. And who came up with the statement "it maybe hot, but at least you don't have to shovel it" should die from heat exhaustion. Doesn't it ever rain in this God forsaken place??

Aug. 14th:
    Welcome to Hell!!! Temperature got to 102 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the windshield out of the Lincoln. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1,500
    house payment to bail me out of jail.

Aug. 30th:
    Worst day of the summer. I'm not leaving the house. The monsoon rains finally came and all they did is to make it muggier than hell and drove the damned roaches out of the ground. I wasn't aware they could fly! The Lincoln
    is now floating somewhere in the Caribbean with its new $500 windshield. That does it, we're moving back to New York where all you have to worry about is getting mugged, I hope this state breaks in half and floats down to Cuba !

10. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

OK, here's the "other side" - found on the internet. Expletives deleted to get by the censors.

A SOUTHERNER MOVES NORTH:

"Jan.10 - 5:00 P.M. It’s starting to snow. The first of the season and the first one we’ve seen in years. The wife and I took our hot buttered rum and sat by the picture window, watching the soft flakes drift down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It was beautiful!

Jan. 11 - We awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time ever and loved it. I did both our driveway and our sidewalk. Later a city snowplow came along and accidently covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shoveled it again.

Jan. 12 - It snowed an additional 5 inches last night, and the temperature has dropped to around 11 degrees. Several limbs on the trees and shrubs snapped due to the weight of the snow. I shoveled our driveway again. Shortly afterwards, the snowplow came by and did his trick again. Much of the snow is now brownish-gray.

Jan. 13 - Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tires for both cars. Fell on my ass in the driveway. $145 to a chiropractor, but nothing was broken. More snow and ice expected.

Jan. 14 - Still cold. Sold the wife’s car and bought a 4×4 in order to get her to work. Slid into a guardrail anyway and did a considerable amount of damage to the right rear quarter-panel. Had another 8 inches of the white s**t last night. Both vehicles covered in salt and crud. More shoveling in store for me today. That &%#*!$ snowplow came by twice today.

Jan. 15 - 2 degrees outside. More &%#*!$ snow. Not a tree or shrub on our property that hasn’t been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a kerosene heater, which tipped over and nearly burned the house down. I managed to put the flames out, but suffered second degree burns on my hands and lost all my eyelashes and eyebrows. Car slid on ice on way to emergency room and was totalled.

Jan.16 - The &%#*!$ white s**t keeps on coming down. Have to put on all the clothes we own just to get to the &%#*!$ mailbox. If I ever catch the son-of-a-b***h that drives the snowplow, I’ll chew open his chest and rip out his heart. I think he hides around the corner and waits for me to open our driveway again! Power still off. Toilet froze and part of the roof has started to cave in.

Jan.17 - Six &%#*!$ MORE &%#*!$ inches of &%#*!$ snow and &%#*!$ sleet and &%#*!$ ice and God knows what other kind of white &%#*!$ s**t fell last night. I wounded the &%#*!$ snowplow a$$hole with an ice axe, but he got away. Wife left me. Car won’t start. I think I’m going snow blind. I can’t move my toes. I haven’t seen the sun in weeks. More snow predicted. Wind chill -22 &%#*!$ degrees. I’m moving back to Florida!"

Unknown Southerner

11. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Been there/Done that for both sides. That is the reason we head out of Florida in May and return in October - and thank the higher power that we are able to do so. Good luck to all of you dealing with the snow/ice/cold.

12. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Please update the FL post to show the two older ladies had Blue hair and drive very slow in the fast lane.

The two post are super to read. :D

13. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Feb 2 2011, 05:55 PM) [snapback]25385[/snapback]

Please update the FL post to show the two older ladies had Blue hair and drive very slow in the fast lane.

A Florida State cop is patrolling on Highway 19 when he comes up on a car going about 20 miles per hour. As he starts to pass it, he sees four little blue heads barely showing above the seatbacks. Thinking that the elderly ladies might be having car trouble, he pulls them over.

"Oh, Officer. I know why you pulled me over. I was going over the speed limit, wasn't I?"

"No, Ma'am. The speed limit is 55 mph."

"But the sign said 19! I tried to keep to the speed limit, but I have such a lead foot and I know I was doing at least 21."

"No, Ma'am. This is Highway 19. The speed limit is 55, not 19. 19 is the highway number, not the speed limit."

He looks in the back seat and the passengers are trembling and look terrified. Two are weeping softly and one is sniffing her smelling salts.

"Ma'am, what is wrong with the ladies in the back seat?"

"I don't know, Officer. They've been like that since we got on 95!"

14. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I'm camp hosting in one of these "northern" states. It's in a milder area that doesn't get much snow, but it's still cold! Not many campers, so you actually have to do some MANUAL WORK to get your four hours a day! BRRRRR!!!!!

I'm signed up to go to Kentucky again next winter, provided gas doesn't hit $4 a gallon...... Ok, Kentucky won't be like Florida but it will be "south."

JJ