Columbia River RV Park

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by compokel, Aug 10, 2004.

1. compokel

compokel
    Expand Collapse

We stayed here for 5 months while working in the area. The campground is nice for an overnighter, however there is no refund, no way, no how, even in medical emergencies. If you overpaid for anything, you won't be told. And you will be nickel and dimed for everything. There is no working phone booth (you will be told to walk 1/2 mile to the corner store), no store, the restrooms were frequently dirty and there are no accomodations for children. Plus, the hours for the rec room and laundry room seem to change weekly and the single modem hookup is in the rec/workout room. During a recent ice storm last winter, the management did NOTHING to help clear sites, clear walkways, or thaw park pipes. Campers were slipping and falling all over the park. It was a disgrace.

This is a very noisy park with little to no privacy. Being so close to Portland Airport there are commercial planes flying over from 6 am to midnight, including fighter jets that will knock you out of your seat. Plus there are new homes going up at the south end of park. There is only a chain link fence separating the park from the new development where construction workers can watch you enjoy your BBQ.

Customer service at this park is non-existant. Their only concern here is to get your money & write new rules. If you like customer service...don't stay here, because the customer is never right.

2. Lance-a-Lot

Lance-a-Lot
    Expand Collapse

Just curious. Were there no other campgrounds nearby that you could have moved to? I wouldn't have stayed 5 months in the conditions described.

3. compokel

compokel
    Expand Collapse

There was one other park close by, Jantzen Beach, but it stayed full & was at the mercy of bridge traffic. Unfortunately Columbia River was the closest to my job site and I could avoid major highways. Believe me, I looked around. You'd be amazed at what you'll put up with after weighing all the pros & cons.

4. cathyvee

cathyvee
    Expand Collapse

We go to the Portland area at least once a year to visit family. Portland does seem to have a major shortage of good RV parks. We found one nice little place that worked well for us, and it was a surprise since it's right on SE 82nd Avenue. It's the Town & Country RV Park, and we chose it because it's very near my sister's house. Having grown up near Portland, we knew that 82nd Avenue's reputation sure wasn't great. But it was a nice little spot -- not much for recreational activities, since it has no pool or anything like that. But it has a nice laundry room, nice rest rooms and showers, and the office people couldn't be nicer. Full hookups on level sites within Portland for a reasonable price was all we needed.

A few miles south of Portland in Gladstone is Clackamette Park, right on the river. Nothing fancy either, but reasonable rates for full hookups. Farther out of Portland near Estacada, is the Milo McIver State Park and it's just lovely. We'll be heading that direction next week, in fact, so we'll see if we can check out a few more parks and let everyone know!

5. compokel

compokel
    Expand Collapse

That would be great CathyVee because I'd love to go back sometime. We started off at a park in Tualatin. It was nice but the sites were really narrow (awnings touching others pop-outs). Real cozy. But the management was really nice & even gave us a refund when we had to move further north.

Look forward to more suggestions!