Complains About Rvpr

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Desertthorn, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Desertthorn

Desertthorn
    Expand Collapse

I have always used this as my go-to site to check reviews, but there are some complaints on other forums that reviews are being rejected suddenly. I would hate to think the policy has changed but if it has, is there someplace where we can read them?

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

As one of the site admins I can state without reservation that there have been no policy changes on this website. This site has always tried to make sure that posted reviews contain content which will help other RVers decide if a park is suitable for them. Some websites choose to publish completely unedited reviews and it is their right to manage their sites in that manner.

Our admins don't edit submitted reviews for content but we reserve the right to ask that reviews include more than just a recounting of an unpleasant event or situation. For example, if a review focuses entirely on something such as a poor interaction with a staff member that review may have little value to someone who reads it a year later when that same person may no longer even work at the park. There's nothing wrong with noting that "the person at the front desk was unfriendly" but, if you chose to stay at the park hopefully there will be other things to say about it.

The same can be said of reviews that focus on other occurrences such as being given a site that didn't match the one that was requested. It's one thing to write a review that notes that "the site we were given didn't match what we had reserved" and another thing altogether to devote the majority of a review to that situation.

We regret that some people feel their freedom of speech is being restricted if they aren't permitted to write lengthy accounts of unpleasant situations. We strive to ensure that our reviews are useful to the greatest number of users.

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Paraphrasing good ole Abe Lincoln: "... you can never please all of the people all of the time.â€￾

The Rules for Submitting a review, which everyone must acknowledge by checking a box, state: In the comments section, write 2-3 sentences which contain information about the facilities, services, and amenities provided at the park.

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Would it be a good idea if the rules were also posted at the beginning of the submit review page? bold print even maybe?
    Might clear up at least some of the confusion.

Mike

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The rules are displayed on the page that comes up when you start a review. Everyone has to acknowledge seeing them by checking the box at the bottom. If people don't read them, I don't know what can be done about it.

6. dodge guy

dodge guy
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but something has changed in the past 6 months or so, and there are alot of us that have noticed! Yes the rules are always there, but sometimes they are followed and still no posted review shows up. I hope this isn't a sign of the future. I like to read unedited reviews even if they are a year old because it shows te background of a campground. There are campgrounds that continuously have the same complaint over a couple of years. If it is going to be a trend i want me to be the one to decide. Not someone who doesn't know what i am looking for.

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I think the admins need more help. They are being spread too thin.

8. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I guess if you want to look a gift horse in the mouth do it. I personally am grateful this site is here. Some people can always find something to complain about.

9. dodge guy

dodge guy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Oct 27 2013, 09:15 AM) [snapback]35128[/snapback]

I guess if you want to look a gift horse in the mouth do it. I personally am grateful this site is here. Some people can always find something to complain about.

Untill you show up at a campground and it is completely different than the reviews here! Not that this site should be used as the bible, but it should be fairly accurate. And yes we will complain when something doesn't work as designed!

10. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

How can the admins know if a review is accurate? They do not visit the campgrounds--the folks submitting the reviews are assumed to make honest, valid comments.

I've heard the same comments about the Woodhall's ratings--and they, in theory, do onsite inspections.

Dodge Guy, if you have a solution--please share it with us.

QUOTE(dodge guy @ Oct 27 2013, 08:44 AM) [snapback]35129[/snapback]

Untill you show up at a campground and it is completely different than the reviews here! Not that this site should be used as the bible, but it should be fairly accurate. And yes we will complain when something doesn't work as designed!

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(dodge guy @ Oct 26 2013, 09:35 PM) [snapback]35126[/snapback]

I like to read unedited reviews

OK, here are some for you. These reviews are exactly how we received them.

“dont know what your all talking about your probably mad about something but this was a great campground. family friendly and with great clean restrooms. don't listen to these people because the camping experience was fenominal best trip ever and there is shade in tent sites and there are pullthroughs i saw them when i talked to the owner. who was a very nice manâ€

“Side by side hook ups way to close together WiFI was tengo but was not working tree seemed to block the signal staff friendly and took you to the sites probably because there was no clear its just field with hookups"

“i red your rewiews about the resort and went anyway. me and my wife had a wonderful time there. the people were very friendly . it was paradise. its what your looking for. camped by the river and it was great! you and natureâ€

Then we also get reviews like the following that give no useful information for other travelers.

“A great little surprise on our trip north, stayed 2 nights, will come again when in the area.â€

“Very good RV parkâ€

“I enjoyed it very muchâ€

“AVOID"

At the opposite end of the scale are these:

“I am sharing a letter below that we had to write to the campground's Manager. We also sent a copy to the corporate office. We found their address online, however, they never contact us. We were promised by the manger to get 1/2 our money back, but did not receive all of it (it was short $20). We finally gave up trying to contact the manager. Letter to the Manager: We stayed at the [name removed] Campground on the above-referenced dates and endured many problems during our stay. Minutes before we packed up to leave the campground, you advised that a follow up would be made with us regarding these matters. We have not heard from you to date. This letter is to summarize the problems we had so that we can come to a resolution. Attached are copies of the three confirmations we received after making our reservation (electric and water sites). Note: each confirmation has a different price on it. When we contacted your facility to question the prices, we were told that the campground closed in 10 minutes. When I notified the person from your office that my friend would be calling immediately to resolve this issue, he stated he would pick up the phone and said not to worry he will be by the phone. But when my friend called back, nobody answered the phone and we had to wait until the next day for a resolution. We arrived at your campground Friday afternoon. The line to get into the park was so disorganized. Some of the vehicles in our group received car tags, park information, garbage bags, etc. and others did not. That night started the long weekend of no electricity. We have never been to a campground that offered 1 electricity pole for 4 camping vehicles. We paid for the site with electricity (which we believed was expensive to begin with) and should have had our own pole. I understand that it was a holiday weekend, but even your workers stated that this issue happens constantly through the camping season and that the campground was overbooked. One of your maintenance workers attempted to resolve this issue by taking an extension cord and running one of the camping vehicles electricity to another pole. This only worked for a few hours and we continued to be without electricity until the last night of camping. The campsite next to us started having the same problems. So the same maintenance person on your staff decided to run their electricity to our pole knowing very well we were already having the same issue. We were just getting back from the pool when we noticed we were without power yet again and our dogs had been in our camper without air conditioning. It was at least 100 degrees in our camper. This disturbed me more than anything along with the fact that we could not use our fridge and spent an incredible amount of money to purchase ice in order to keep our food cold. This was all on top of the disgustingly dirty shower rooms, campers blowing off fireworks, golf carts that drove too fast, extremely loud neighbors till at least 2 a.m. and the fact that when we first talked to you you were a security guard then the next time we talked to you you were thee general manager. You admitted doing this and stated the reason was to control certain calls. It was very apparent that rules listed on our website are not enforced by your campground. We tried to contact you on multiple occasions and even left our cell phone numbers. On one visit to the office, we were told that you were not in the park then heard your voice over the radio speaking to a female campground worker. It is really disappointing that we are having to contact you for resolution to these matters. It is astonishing that you knew of all these problems but choose to ignore them. We will not be camping at your campground again and do not wish to receive a credit to do so. At this time, we would like a refund of at least 50%.â€

“my first introduction to the park was coming around the blind corner of south [name removed] and finding a 12'3" railroad underpass. see, i was looking for any port in a storm; i had planned to stay overnight at any walmart i could find since i would be leaving early the next day and i wasn't going to stay overnight in the motorhome anyway--i was meeting my wife in one of the downtown hotels (long story). anyway, screech. had to stop the motorhome--pulling a toad, of course--in the middle of the street while i called the cops to block traffic so i could unhook the cr-v and extricate myself from the position i had put myself in. longer story short, they never showed up and i had to do it without any assistance--unhook the toad, drive it to a side street, back the motorhome around a blind corner hoping no one was going to hit me in the process. it all worked out. so i get to the park well after closing, find an empty site from the list they post for the after-hours arrivals like me, and navigate myself down airstream drive to the site--which was the only pull-through left. the first thing you notice is how tight all the turns are. that's also the second and third thing you notice, too. the site was ok--gravel but level, narrow but wide enough, trees not cut back very much but just enough to barely scrape the top of the coach, and water pressure way too high but manageable with a pressure reducer. i hooked up as quickly as i could and went to meet my wife in town. got back the next morning and began securing for the short ride home--we live only about 35 miles northwest of [name removed]. the site i had chosen looked pretty good on paper--but i wasn't parked on a paper site. the turn out of the site was tight. we have a 34' FRED--i'm not sure a 40' coach would be able to make the turn but would have to back out instead. interesting idea, backing ut of a pull-through site. for a brief moment i suspected i was going to have to unhook the cr-v again to back up. anyhow, just made the turn and headed for the office to pay up. they take passport america so i got half off. nice people in the office. i didn't use any of the facilities during my stay--including my own motorhome. i would probably stay there again if i had a reason to--but i can't for the life of me think what it would be. they key ideas here are that the sites are pretty close together and the streets are narrow with some very sharp curves; don't take [name removed] street unless you have a short rv--or really want one; and make sure you have your own water pressure reducer--because they charge $17 for the one you can buy at walmart for $5.â€

Are any of these the type of reviews you want to see on this site? I’ll bet you didn’t even try to read all the way through those long ones, and neither will anyone else.

We are strict with our guidelines for a reason--it makes our reviews readable, and therefore, useful. I would like nothing better than to post reviews just like they come in. That would be less work for all of us, but if we posted reviews like the previous examples we would not be providing a very good service to our members.

12. dodge guy

dodge guy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Oct 27 2013, 12:20 PM) [snapback]35131[/snapback]

Hi,

How can the admins know if a review is accurate? They do not visit the campgrounds--the folks submitting the reviews are assumed to make honest, valid comments.

I've heard the same comments about the Woodhall's ratings--and they, in theory, do onsite inspections.

Dodge Guy, if you have a solution--please share it with us.

I thought i did! Keep them unedited like it used to be.

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(dodge guy @ Oct 27 2013, 09:36 PM) [snapback]35137[/snapback]

Keep them unedited like it used to be.

Just out of curiosity, at what period of time were the reviews here unedited?

14. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

After reading those unedited reviews that Texasrvers posted I am thankful that the admins take the time to edit them. They don't take out the pertinent information, just the chatter, and poor spelling and grammar when they can. Those that were so poorly written are some I would totally disregard if I was looking for advice about a campground. I have seen no changes at all in the way reviews are done and certainly nothing in the last 6 months. I have a feeling that those that complained to you, Dodge guy, are some of those that did a review that was either not legible or not truly informative. I, for one, am thankful for every minute of work the admins put in keeping this site running. Perhaps your complainers should start their own site and post totally unedited reviews if that makes them happy.

15. dodge guy

dodge guy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Oct 27 2013, 11:31 PM) [snapback]35140[/snapback]

After reading those unedited reviews that Texasrvers posted I am thankful that the admins take the time to edit them. They don't take out the pertinent information, just the chatter, and poor spelling and grammar when they can. Those that were so poorly written are some I would totally disregard if I was looking for advice about a campground. I have seen no changes at all in the way reviews are done and certainly nothing in the last 6 months. I have a feeling that those that complained to you, Dodge guy, are some of those that did a review that was either not legible or not truly informative. I, for one, am thankful for every minute of work the admins put in keeping this site running. Perhaps your complainers should start their own site and post totally unedited reviews if that makes them happy.

Completely missing the point!

I`m done

16. dodge guy

dodge guy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 27 2013, 07:54 PM) [snapback]35134[/snapback]

OK, here are some for you. These reviews are exactly how we received them.

“dont know what your all talking about your probably mad about something but this was a great campground. family friendly and with great clean restrooms. don't listen to these people because the camping experience was fenominal best trip ever and there is shade in tent sites and there are pullthroughs i saw them when i talked to the owner. who was a very nice manâ€

“Side by side hook ups way to close together WiFI was tengo but was not working tree seemed to block the signal staff friendly and took you to the sites probably because there was no clear its just field with hookups"

“i red your rewiews about the resort and went anyway. me and my wife had a wonderful time there. the people were very friendly . it was paradise. its what your looking for. camped by the river and it was great! you and natureâ€
    Then we also get reviews like the following that give no useful information for other travelers.

“A great little surprise on our trip north, stayed 2 nights, will come again when in the area.â€

“Very good RV parkâ€

“I enjoyed it very muchâ€

“AVOID"
    At the opposite end of the scale are these:

“I am sharing a letter below that we had to write to the campground's Manager. We also sent a copy to the corporate office. We found their address online, however, they never contact us. We were promised by the manger to get 1/2 our money back, but did not receive all of it (it was short $20). We finally gave up trying to contact the manager. Letter to the Manager: We stayed at the [name removed] Campground on the above-referenced dates and endured many problems during our stay. Minutes before we packed up to leave the campground, you advised that a follow up would be made with us regarding these matters. We have not heard from you to date. This letter is to summarize the problems we had so that we can come to a resolution. Attached are copies of the three confirmations we received after making our reservation (electric and water sites). Note: each confirmation has a different price on it. When we contacted your facility to question the prices, we were told that the campground closed in 10 minutes. When I notified the person from your office that my friend would be calling immediately to resolve this issue, he stated he would pick up the phone and said not to worry he will be by the phone. But when my friend called back, nobody answered the phone and we had to wait until the next day for a resolution. We arrived at your campground Friday afternoon. The line to get into the park was so disorganized. Some of the vehicles in our group received car tags, park information, garbage bags, etc. and others did not. That night started the long weekend of no electricity. We have never been to a campground that offered 1 electricity pole for 4 camping vehicles. We paid for the site with electricity (which we believed was expensive to begin with) and should have had our own pole. I understand that it was a holiday weekend, but even your workers stated that this issue happens constantly through the camping season and that the campground was overbooked. One of your maintenance workers attempted to resolve this issue by taking an extension cord and running one of the camping vehicles electricity to another pole. This only worked for a few hours and we continued to be without electricity until the last night of camping. The campsite next to us started having the same problems. So the same maintenance person on your staff decided to run their electricity to our pole knowing very well we were already having the same issue. We were just getting back from the pool when we noticed we were without power yet again and our dogs had been in our camper without air conditioning. It was at least 100 degrees in our camper. This disturbed me more than anything along with the fact that we could not use our fridge and spent an incredible amount of money to purchase ice in order to keep our food cold. This was all on top of the disgustingly dirty shower rooms, campers blowing off fireworks, golf carts that drove too fast, extremely loud neighbors till at least 2 a.m. and the fact that when we first talked to you you were a security guard then the next time we talked to you you were thee general manager. You admitted doing this and stated the reason was to control certain calls. It was very apparent that rules listed on our website are not enforced by your campground. We tried to contact you on multiple occasions and even left our cell phone numbers. On one visit to the office, we were told that you were not in the park then heard your voice over the radio speaking to a female campground worker. It is really disappointing that we are having to contact you for resolution to these matters. It is astonishing that you knew of all these problems but choose to ignore them. We will not be camping at your campground again and do not wish to receive a credit to do so. At this time, we would like a refund of at least 50%.â€
    “my first introduction to the park was coming around the blind corner of south [name removed] and finding a 12'3" railroad underpass. see, i was looking for any port in a storm; i had planned to stay overnight at any walmart i could find since i would be leaving early the next day and i wasn't going to stay overnight in the motorhome anyway--i was meeting my wife in one of the downtown hotels (long story). anyway, screech. had to stop the motorhome--pulling a toad, of course--in the middle of the street while i called the cops to block traffic so i could unhook the cr-v and extricate myself from the position i had put myself in. longer story short, they never showed up and i had to do it without any assistance--unhook the toad, drive it to a side street, back the motorhome around a blind corner hoping no one was going to hit me in the process. it all worked out. so i get to the park well after closing, find an empty site from the list they post for the after-hours arrivals like me, and navigate myself down airstream drive to the site--which was the only pull-through left. the first thing you notice is how tight all the turns are. that's also the second and third thing you notice, too. the site was ok--gravel but level, narrow but wide enough, trees not cut back very much but just enough to barely scrape the top of the coach, and water pressure way too high but manageable with a pressure reducer. i hooked up as quickly as i could and went to meet my wife in town. got back the next morning and began securing for the short ride home--we live only about 35 miles northwest of [name removed]. the site i had chosen looked pretty good on paper--but i wasn't parked on a paper site. the turn out of the site was tight. we have a 34' FRED--i'm not sure a 40' coach would be able to make the turn but would have to back out instead. interesting idea, backing ut of a pull-through site. for a brief moment i suspected i was going to have to unhook the cr-v again to back up. anyhow, just made the turn and headed for the office to pay up. they take passport america so i got half off. nice people in the office. i didn't use any of the facilities during my stay--including my own motorhome. i would probably stay there again if i had a reason to--but i can't for the life of me think what it would be. they key ideas here are that the sites are pretty close together and the streets are narrow with some very sharp curves; don't take [name removed] street unless you have a short rv--or really want one; and make sure you have your own water pressure reducer--because they charge $17 for the one you can buy at walmart for $5.â€
    Are any of these the type of reviews you want to see on this site? I’ll bet you didn’t even try to read all the way through those long ones, and neither will anyone else.

We are strict with our guidelines for a reason--it makes our reviews readable, and therefore, useful. I would like nothing better than to post reviews just like they come in. That would be less work for all of us, but if we posted reviews like the previous examples we would not be providing a very good service to our members.

There is a difference between the type of editing your talking about, and the type of editing that has gone on recently where someone has not excepted a negative post.

17. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I doubt very seriously that the admins ever go in and change a review. How about showing us a review or two to support your claim that they have falsified someone's review?

18. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

In rereading all the posts here it seems only Dodge Guy with a whole 24 posts is the only one with a problem and all of us seem to be the problem.

19. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dodge guy @ Oct 28 2013, 08:37 AM) [snapback]35144[/snapback]

There is a difference between the type of editing your talking about, and the type of editing that has gone on recently where someone has not excepted a negative post.

If they have not "excepted" a negative review, then it would be posted. If they have not "accepted" a negative review, then it would not be posted.

Sound like Texasrvers's point has been accepted without exception.

20. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dodge guy @ Oct 27 2013, 11:34 PM) [snapback]35143[/snapback]

Completely missing the point!

I`m done

I agree, the reviews should be posted exactly as they are submitted. Using the examples provided by texasrvers I would be able to avoid several parks where the customers are obviously illiterate idiots. Who wants a neighbor who couldn't pass a 3rd grade English class? :D