Completed The Lower 48

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Florida Native, May 18, 2011.

1. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Glacier National Park was closed due to snow, so we decided to go to Yellowstone instead and discovered that it is 2/3's closed due to snow. We came down to Mount Rushmore area for a while to let things thaw out. We have now completed the lower 48 states since our retirement 4 years ago. They were all great and not a one doesn't deserve a second visit. I hope Glacier and Yellowstone thaw soon. The area around Mount Rushmore is loaded with interesting sites and lots of Passport America discounted sites. Now that we picked up the last 4 states, I need to complete my visited states map.

2. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Congrats! Any plans to make it 49 (I guess 50 is out of the question)?

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ May 19 2011, 07:43 AM) [snapback]26136[/snapback]

Congrats! Any plans to make it 49 (I guess 50 is out of the question)?

Unless gas prices come way down, our plan is to fly to Alaska, rent a Class C in Alaska for a month. It would be a lots cheaper and less wear and tear on our coach. It's a long way from central Florida to Alaska. My cousin did it and had a ball. We are thinking next year about zipping straight up to Canada and slowly doing Prince Edward Island and working our way West until it gets to cold.

4. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Woo-hoo! I think it'll take us a few years more to hit that level. We're hitting Glacier in September, so hope it won't be snowing by then. Snowed today in New Mexico. We're going to do the same as you are next year....work our way slowly up to Maine and Canada and then meander back to Florida for the winter.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

It took us 3 months to get to Bangor, MA and 4 1/2 days back due to sick daughter. Life is good.

6. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

Congratulations! If you want something less familiar, there are some great cruises to Hawaii. You could tell who had an RV on the last cruise I was on. The non RV owners were complaining about the size of the bathrooms in their staterooms. The RV owners were saying, "wow, nice roomy showers"

I now think anyone going to Yellowstone this time of year needs to check conditions daily. I "almost" visited a few days ago. I thought mid-May would be an ideal time of year, after the worst winter conditions, yet before all the tourists arrive for the peak season. A couple of the roads were still closed for the winter, but I was planning on coming in through Wyoming. I spent the night at an RV park between Thermopolis and Cody and the manager gave me the news that they had also closed both Wyoming entrances due to rock-slides. I decided to continue on up to Montana, but save the park for later. Perhaps I will try again just after the summer season.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We are holed up for a week at a very nice Passport America park in Sturgis, SD and seeing the sites. We wlll be checking with the park before moving on. We plan to do Glacier National park afterwards. America is such a great country.

8. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jim crowl @ May 20 2011, 10:59 PM) [snapback]26156[/snapback]

I now think anyone going to Yellowstone this time of year needs to check conditions daily. I "almost" visited a few days ago. I thought mid-May would be an ideal time of year, after the worst winter conditions, yet before all the tourists arrive for the peak season. A couple of the roads were still closed for the winter, but I was planning on coming in through Wyoming. I spent the night at an RV park between Thermopolis and Cody and the manager gave me the news that they had also closed both Wyoming entrances due to rock-slides. I decided to continue on up to Montana, but save the park for later. Perhaps I will try again just after the summer season.

We spent two weeks in Cody early in September and the weather was delightful on the whole. It's a long drive into Yellowstone from Cody (50 miles to the gate, 102 miles to Old Faithful), but the park was almost deserted (well, relatively). Hardly any traffic, even in the popular areas; lots of bison and elk to see. We went into Yellowstone through both the East entrance and the North entrance.