Computer Stuff: Antivirus 2009

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Jul 6, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Well, I just spent all day clearing out this lovely thing that hit my computer. This lovely thing disguises itself to look like Windows XP Security Center, but once it gets on your computer it "nags" you every three minutes to "update" your Windows Security Center. Here's the rub: IF you do, you will be directed to a "rogue" site. And you know how you have to have a "key" to install software? Well, this one says, "if you don't have your key, don't worry, just give us your email address." That's the "red flag." Another "red flag" is that the words on the screens will be slightly misspelled, I think the word "realised" was used, it's supposed to be spelled "realized." Oh yeah. It comes with an "uninstall" feature, but the feature is completely BOGUS, it doesn't "uninstall." When you attempt an "uninstall," the icon will disappear from your start menu, but it's still there, nagging you do "download" the update, for which you need the license key, but don't worry, if you don't have it, just give your email address........

If you are a computer geek and know where to find the files, you will discover you can't delete them because the program is "running."

You have to do this:

CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager.
    Find either AV2009 or Antivirus2009 and tell it to STOP RIGHT NOW.

Then you will be able to delete all the files. Just do a manual delete. Then, if you are really a guru, you have to use the Windows regedit.exe program to find the registry keys that need deleted.

There are a couple of "Free" spyware detectors that you can use, one is Spyware Hunter, the other (which I used) is XoftSpySE. What these programs will do on the "free" version is locate the registry keys for you. Then you will have to manually delete them using regedit. If you want the software to delete them, you have to pay for the software.

When you are all done, you MUST reboot.

JJ

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Buy an Apple system and you will never see any of this stuff. Never, never every! :p

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi John,

That may have once been true--but no longer. It's still not much of an issue--after all in real terms Mac has only about 4% market share--far less than linux--which is really what the current mac OS is based on--so why *pay* for an OS--just jump right to linux.

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jul 7 2008, 08:00 PM) [snapback]12184[/snapback]

Buy an Apple system and you will never see any of this stuff. Never, never every! :p

Hi JJ,

How did you get this little "present" in the first place? A bad web site? or?

I'm glad you got it fixed.

Regards,
    Don

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jul 7 2008, 07:59 PM) [snapback]12186[/snapback]

Hi JJ,

How did you get this little "present" in the first place? A bad web site? or?

I'm glad you got it fixed.

Regards,
    Don

I was googling some information and it happened. I forgot what I was "googling." I think I was googling an RV park to see if it had a web site, forgot the name of the RV Park.

JJ

5. boater

boater
    Expand Collapse

I got this bug on my laptop. my daughter in law was looking up something after borrowing the use of my laptop while visiting. i couldnt get rid of it completely. glad to have the heads up. not a geek so i guess ill have to take it to a computetr guy to get it fixed. bumme4

6. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

I worked at staples in Park City, Utah a few years back and the town and a bunch of people bought mac from some sales man who came thru. When they started haveing problems they had to buy new pcs from others because the nearest mac store was two states away. I have also seen this in some schools that bought macs and found that they had to send the macs back to manufactures for repairs cuz no one within 1000 miles to repair them.
    So thanks for the offer John but no thanks and like Don said they are not protected against viruses and problems if you go to anti virus programs and put in Mac you with find 1000s of problems and viruses.

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jul 7 2008, 08:24 PM) [snapback]12187[/snapback]

I was googling some information and it happened. JJ

JJ...do you have Norton loaded on your computer by any chance? Just curious. :huh:

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Jul 12 2008, 12:40 PM) [snapback]12238[/snapback]

JJ...do you have Norton loaded on your computer by any chance? Just curious. :huh:

Nope. Last time I had Norton, it slowed my Laptop way way down, I had to get rid of it. I use PC Tools, and PC Tools didn't detect it.

JJ

9. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

JJ
    Have you looked at getting a free antivirus program like AVG? Or a utility program like Crap Cleaner? I've used both for years and other than a batch of spam awhile ago (had to reset my preferences on the ISP server for that one)never had a problem with viruses or worms. Not that I haven't had problems with my PC. I can't count the number of times I've had to use the Ctrl Alt Delete keys to end a frozen program due to Microsoft's "wonderful" software.

10. boater

boater
    Expand Collapse

that thing is not exactly a virus. its more like a maicious program that gets installed on your computter. i finally got rid of it on mine i hope. i used my rescue disk to remove the operating system( but not the programs and files), the i reinstalled the os and used the second disk to reinstall the programs that came on the second disk. this got things working ok again. big pain. there ought to be a way to sue the people who put these things out.

11. Dave-and-Ellen

Dave-and-Ellen
    Expand Collapse

Once you tell it to stop running, use REVO Uninstaller. It is FREE and removes the program, data and any keys in reg...it prompts for the keys. I always use this to get rid of programs I try and do not want. It is also good to remove all traces of programs that are better off upgraded without the old version on the system.