Connecticut Camping Opinions

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by onemantwokids, Apr 23, 2007.

1. onemantwokids

onemantwokids
    Expand Collapse

We've finally upgraded from tenting to a hybrid trailer....meaning I have my own bathroom and shower...YEAH!!! :D

Now....What I'm looking for is a GREAT local campground in Connecticut with greywater or sewer hook ups where you're not packed in like sardines. Also must have a nice clean swimming hole or pool.

All opinions valued!! Thanks!

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Hi there. Sorry, I can't help but I have never been to CT. I see you have been a member for almost 3 years, but don't post much. Hope to see you posting more often and hope you get the information you are seeking. Hey, you joined on my birthday......

3. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Oneman: Connecticutt has always been tough for us in that it seems that there are not that many RV parks (at least compared to other states). We just spent a night at Sunset View Farm RV Park just over the Mass border in Monson. It is a pretty good park with a large (Olympic sized) swimming pool, as well as a small swimming pond with a sand beach. They had just opened when we came through last week but it seemed like a pretty well run place. The sites on the hill and towards the back of the park afford more privacy. They have separate areas for teenagers to gather, which is a nice feature.

The other place we stay in Conn iteself is MooseMeadows RV Park, outside of Willington. We've found this to be a fine place, but check the ratings and comments on the Review Section. Some people have not liked it (too crowded, etc.) . We have only been there mid-week on out way to or from Maine, so have not seen it on a weekend in July. This is an okay place, at least for a stop over.

4. onemantwokids

onemantwokids
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I know I haven't posted much but being a tenter kind of left me out of the mix.

Connecticut is a difficult state for camping...not alot of choices here but we've narrowed it down to a few to try. Now that I have my very own shower a greywater hookup is totally necessary for me.

MaineDon, have you been to Papoose Pond? That's always been a favorite of ours.... I see they've added a new pool and new mini golf there. I think it usually takes us like 5 hours to get there though so it's a long trip for us.

5. onemantwokids

onemantwokids
    Expand Collapse

MaineDon, Forgot to thank you for the suggestion in Monson. I just checked their website and it looks really nice. I especially like that they disclose their seasonal sites on their map. It's on my definate try it list. I'm also going to try Salem Farms in CT too. Here's their website if you're interested.... http://www.salemfarmscampground.com/index.html

6. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Oneman: No we have never tried Papoose Pond. I have seen it in Trailer Life, etc., but have never stayed there. We may check it ouy on our way home from the Carolinas in June. Thanks also for the other website. I'll check it out now. Good camping.....

7. dmsscs

dmsscs
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(onemantwokids @ Apr 23 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]6911[/snapback]

We've finally upgraded from tenting to a hybrid trailer....meaning I have my own bathroom and shower...YEAH!!! :D

Now....What I'm looking for is a GREAT local campground in Connecticut with greywater or sewer hook ups where you're not packed in like sardines. Also must have a nice clean swimming hole or pool.

We camp alot in Ct. There is nothin in Fairfield County. We like Lone Oaks, Nelson's, River Bend, Deer Haven, Circle C and Ross Hill. There is a Free Connecticut Camping Guide available, I think you can order it on line. I think the initials are CCOA, but if you put in camping in Conn. you should get there. There are a lot of places in Ct. when you consider the size of the state. I can't speak for all of them, but for the most part they are nice. River Bend has a lot of activities for kids and they do have grey water and sewers on some sites. We find that if there is a dump station on the way out, it is uusually good enough for a few day stay, but if we are spending a week, we look for a sewer hook-up or at the very least grey water. We have been camping for many years and started to go to a different park every weekend marking them off as we went. Most places are what you make of it, we are pretty adaptable and can have fun most anywhere. :p

8. toyhauler

toyhauler
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dmsscs @ May 16 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]7074[/snapback]

QUOTE(onemantwokids @ Apr 23 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]6911[/snapback]

We camp alot in Ct. There is nothin in Fairfield County. We like Lone Oaks, Nelson's, River Bend, Deer Haven, Circle C and Ross Hill. There is a Free Connecticut Camping Guide available, I think you can order it on line. I think the initials are CCOA, but if you put in camping in Conn. you should get there. There are a lot of places in Ct. when you consider the size of the state. I can't speak for all of them, but for the most part they are nice. River Bend has a lot of activities for kids and they do have grey water and sewers on some sites. We find that if there is a dump station on the way out, it is uusually good enough for a few day stay, but if we are spending a week, we look for a sewer hook-up or at the very least grey water. We have been camping for many years and started to go to a different park every weekend marking them off as we went. Most places are what you make of it, we are pretty adaptable and can have fun most anywhere. :p

9. J59T

J59T
    Expand Collapse

When I was a child, we camped at Witch Meadow Campground in Salem.

It has quite a lot of things to do this time of the year.

Happy camping,
    Jeri

10. shewolf_06340

shewolf_06340
    Expand Collapse

Are you still looking?

If so - try:

Odetah Campground in Bozrah, CT (off Rt 2)

Witch Meadow and Salem Farms are both nice (been to both).
    You could also look into River Bend campground in Oneco, CT but I am not sure about the swimming.

There is another up in Barkhamstead...White Pines Campground. I don't quite remember the pool but this was a nice campground and was family oriented.

There are others, but those are the ones that come to mind first. Sunsetview up in Mass is very nice too - we've been there a couple of times. However, once Labor Day rolls around, they close up the pool.

Strawberry Park is extremely, ungodly expensive and you really don't get your money's worth unless you go off-season (and again, pools might be closed) but they honestly have a lot going on there for families and it IS very nice. Make sure you do not stay in one of the sites up near the office that BAKE in the sun, nor on one of the sites in the rear near the road (those flood out in the rain).

Hope this helps!!!

11. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(onemantwokids @ Apr 23 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]6911[/snapback]

You may want to try "Aces High Camp Resort" in East Lyme, CT near Mystic. We stayed over 3 days and were very pleased. Nice spacious sites, full hook-ups, extremely clean and we found mgmt to be pleasant. This resort is a cut above. We would absolutely return and use as a destination and/or overnighter.

12. btcardcomic

btcardcomic
    Expand Collapse

Odetah is awesome in CT and as for the campground in Monson, MA....Sunset View - YES - Partridge Hallow in Monson - NOOOOOOO!!! Those people who own that are terrible and need to take classes in how to talk to their campers!!!

I'm actually very fond of Hammonasett State Park. They don't have sewer hook ups but electric and water and you can always dump on the way out and you're right on the beach too! Book now for next year though because it fills up fast.

Good luck with the upgrade!!!! I've reverted back to the old tent for a little while!

13. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

With all due respect to TLynn, we've stayed at Aces High and would never go back because of management. You might want to check out the reviews on this site if you are considering this park.