Cork Flooring

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Lee and Jacque, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Lee and Jacque

Lee and Jacque
    Expand Collapse

We are considering replacing the carpet in the living area of our motorhome with cork flooring. Have any of you done this? If so, have you been pleased with the results and how has it worn?
    Thanks, J Davis

2. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lee & Jacque @ Nov 3 2007, 11:30 AM) [snapback]9003[/snapback]

We are considering replacing the carpet in the living area of our motorhome with cork flooring. Have any of you done this? If so, have you been pleased with the results and how has it worn?
    Thanks, J Davis

I don't know if this will help or not, but I have cork flooring in the kitchen of my home and it's alright except the smell that I was told would go away in time hasn't gone away...smells like linseed oil if you're familiar with that smell and the first few days after installation I did become nauseated from the smell, but I got used to it and it doesn't cause me to be nauseated any longer, but the smell is still there and noticeable and it's been almost three years.

And, if you have pets, their claws will scratch into the surface of the finished cork which will require you to polish and wax the flooring practically on a monthly basis if you want to keep the noticeable scratches to a minimum.

You'll also have to mop or vacuum a lot more with cork flooring to keep the dirt and grit from gouging the surface, probably moreso in a motorhome than in a home depending on the type of terrain you're at, i.e., dirt, gravel, sand, etc...will build up and gouge quickly.

I do like how the cork flooring is soft and comfortable to walk on and if you drop something on it like a glass it won't shatter. Also, I like the insulation it provides...even in the dead of winter, you can walk on it in barefeet and it's warm.

But, honestly, if I'd have to do it over again, I'd choose something more pet friendly and easier to maintain and something minus the odor than the cork flooring, but that's just me. :)