Cross County Trip

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Baby Sister, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Baby Sister

Baby Sister
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I are planning a 4+/- month trip across the US from West to East. The first part of the trip will be following (somewhat) the Oregon Trail. The return portion will be along (somewhat) old Route 66. What we don't know is what we'd like to see in between, mostly New England. We are not into big cities or theme parks, more historical sistes. What I need is advise on where to stay in places like Vermont, Maine, up-state New York, Virginia. I know places I'd like to see in most states but have had a hard time trying to find out what RV parks are like. Being from California I'm really surprised at the lack of parks and the expensive nature of what is there in some states. Any help/advise would be appreciated.

2. Herb

Herb
    Expand Collapse

One stop should be Baker City,OR.Oregon Trail Interpretive Center is there and is excellent.The town is also great!Good park is
    Mtn.View RV Park Trailer life rating10-9.5-8.For route 66 stay in Flagstaff,AZ.Town is at 7000 ft.and cool in summer.Lots to see.Grand Canyon about 1 and half hours.

3. Baby Sister

Baby Sister
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Herb. We've been to the Center at Baker but will not be stopping there on this trip - we're making a side trip to visit friends that have recently moved. Our first stop will be at the End of the Trail in Oregon City, Oregon.

We are planning on stopping at Flagstaff, do you know of any RV parks there? I haven't been to that area in over 20 years.

4. LarryAck

LarryAck
    Expand Collapse

In Vermont
    Classic Vermont town is Woodstock. A nice trip is to take Route 100 North which runs the length of the state. About 5 miles east of Woodstock is a state park - Quechee nice stop over. I wouldn't miss Stowe Vermont, Ben & Jerrys Ice Cream factory. In Burlington on Route 7 The Shelburne Museum, and Vermont Teddy Bear Factory are interesting. Lake Champlain in Burlington is also a great stop over. Have a great time

5. Baby Sister

Baby Sister
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Larry, I've been looking at Stowe as one place I want to see. I was also thinking about trying to get to the Vermont Country Store. Do you know anything about that area?
    Baby Sister

6. LarryAck

LarryAck
    Expand Collapse

Yes, on route 100 you will find the Vermont Country store in the town of Weston (South central VT). They are open Monday - Saturday. Be aware that Sundays they are closed. Weston is a nice Vermont town with some other interesting shops. If you like that town, as I posted previously you'll love Woodstock, which is about 45 minutes further north. Feel free to ask any additional questions or you can email me at repeatagain@msn.com

7. newmarbeastdriver

newmarbeastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely, positively, if you are going to stay in Flagstaff, you gotta stay at the J&B RV Park there. Nicest place and nicest people I've every met. And a restaurant just across the street is truly outstanding. We just finished a six-month jaunt all across the U. S. and this was, by far, the best small RV park we visited. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. SafeTrek

SafeTrek
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(newmarbeastdriver @ Nov 9 2003, 01:52 PM)
    Absolutely, positively, if you are going to stay in Flagstaff, you gotta stay at the J&B RV Park there. Nicest place and nicest people I've every met. And a restaurant just across the street is truly outstanding. We just finished a six-month jaunt all across the U. S. and this was, by far, the best small RV park we visited. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Are you sure of the RV park name, all I could find was J&H RV Park. COuld it be possible that J&H has not been reviewed yet?? :unsure:

9. beastdriver

beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

J&H is the correct name of the park in Flagstaff and I agree: They are a couple of fine human beings. I also agree that the restaurant across the street is probably one of the best in the country. Try this place: You will like it!

10. gloria4241

gloria4241
    Expand Collapse

Jamestown Beach Campgrounds is a nice campground in Jamestown, VA. It is just across the street from the Jamestown Settlement and just a short distance from Williamsburg, Va. We are going there in a few weeks with the Good Sam Club we belong and I will be writing a review after our stay. If you like history, I certainly would suggest this area as it is just full of it! Hope you have a great time, we are planning to do the same in a few years. After your trip, please return here and let us know how everything went. HAVE FUN! :rolleyes:

11. Guest

Expand Collapse

In Virginia, try Newport News City Park. Ten mikes to Williamsburg and the price is great ($18.00, electric and water only) Also any state park in Virginia.(again only electrtic and water). They are great. Beware though. Many of the campgrounds located in the eastern portion of Virginia are suffering from the aftermath of Hurricane Isabel.

12. Snapdragon

Snapdragon
    Expand Collapse

Flagstaff: Stay at Black Bart's RV Park! He operates Black Barts Saloon which has great steak dinners and "singing waiters and waitresses" who are all Univ Phoenix college students working toward their future Broadway careers. They sing, they dance and they entertain inbetween serving you an excellent dinner. The campground is very nice and in a good location. Don't miss Black Bart's!!! A real best kept secret in campgrounds.... :lol:

13. Chalet

Chalet
    Expand Collapse

A great trip you have planned. We were fulltimers having spent 62 years in New England but have now retired to northern AZ. `The big question is are you mainly interested in state, national or resort type parks?

14. gloria4241

gloria4241
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at the Jamestown Beach Campground across from the Jamestown Settlement and I was going to write a review, but have not been able to do so. Anyway, the campground is across from the settlement as stated, but I would rate the campground a 5. The spaces for large campers are out in the open, no trees and the grass was way too tall. It should have been mowed before we came on Friday, but they started mowing after we got there so our area did not get mowed at all and after it rained...tall wet grass. I don't know if it is too early, but there really wasn't much to do there. Great place if you just want to sightsee, but a little pricey I think.