Crossing Into Canada

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Farmerswife, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Farmerswife

Farmerswife
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone else experienced rude behavior at Canadian border crossings? We took a 3 month trip to Alaska summer of 2009 and crossed the Canadian border a total of 5 times. We found some of the staff (Canadian) to be---well---condescending and snappish. I got the impression some would have preferred we'd stayed in the US. We answered all questions politely, had proper documentation and papers for our dogs (which no one was interested in seeing anyhow.)
    Just wondering if we were too sensitive.

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I guess it happens the other way too! I once crossed into USA from Manitoba. I was "invited" to sit in hot sun for 45 minutes while they went through my RV with a fine toothed comb.

When I asked if I might move into the air conditioned office, I got a flat out "NO".

It is the only time this has happened.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Same thing happen three months ago at I-5. As we crossed into US the border guard ask me "well what is your story". I had our US passport in hand and he could see them. We are seniors. I told him we had come off a cruise ship in Vancouver and our plans were to drive down into WA and OR for one week and then return back to Vancouver to fly back home. I could see by look on this face we were nut cases. Long lines on each side of border and may have been part of the problem.

On return back up I-5 on Canadian side the young border guard ask what was our plans to visit Canada. We told him about the ship and returning back home. He ask did we have a good time in states, yes. Told wife and I to enjoy our time in Canada and we were off to Vancouver. He was a nice person!

We did see the US border people looking into all non US cars and equipment. As soon as I showed our passports he routed our car into a different line. At that point we had our experience with our unhappy guard.

4. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

We just went to Niagara Falls last month, stayed on the Canadian side. No problems crossing border. I guess the Canadian guard was a little "cool", but not rude at all, just business like and efficient.

I had never crossed a border "on the ground" (only by plane in the past), so I read up a little about it. We kept necessary paperwork organized and at hand if needed (at least, we thought!), had our passports with us (my understanding is that it is now necessary to have a passport to cross the Canada/US border?). We only answered the border guards questions, only used "yes" or "no" if that was appropriate, and didn't try to make "small talk".

Speaking of paperwork, when the Canadian guard asked for our truck's license plate number, we could't find the registration for the truck (!). No problem, though, being as the truck was less than a year old, the registration was a card, not a sheet of paper - we eventually did find it. I hadn't gotten the truck and trailer registration out of the folder in the glove compartment where I always keep it to check on it because I knew it was there... next time I will get it out just to double check!

We don't cross the border regularly, so it was all new and interesting for us.

5. Farmerswife

Farmerswife
    Expand Collapse

I am basing my question on some very negative experiences:

Pulled up to the border from Alaska into B.C. and no one was at the window. We remained at the window for 10 minutes--could see activity in the office. Then a very unpleasant woman came to the window, looked annoyed and asked us for our documentation, all the questions (guns, bear spray, etc.) and then wordlessly nodded to move on.

Later that day in B.C. we encountered a roadblock. When we reached the front of the line a conservation warden asked if we had any fish or wildlife with us. We said "Salmon from AK in our freezer." He then directed us into a truck weigh station which was mostly crowded with enormous logging trucks. Very little direction. Saw a guy waving and we pulled up. He was polite but inquired about fish and game. We said, again, salmon in our freezer we caught in Alaska. He asked for proof it was caught in Alaska and indicated he might want to enter and see it. We happened to have--quite by accident--our temporary AK fishing licenses--he needed to see both! He said that was satisfactory proof and waved us out. The whole experience took
    45 minutes. No one had ever suggested we keep our expired licenses, and how that piece of paper proved anything I have no idea. Nor do I understand how his looking at frozen zip lock bags with salmon fillets would have demonstrated that we weren't poachers?

An RV'er next to us in an AK park told us that she was asked the question about guns, of course. And then she was asked if she had any guns "at home." Can't verify for her, but ?????

6. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Just came back from 1000 Islands, NY area. Saw various signs directing Canadian residents to go to immigration and show proof of residency when docking a boat. No way for anybody to really enforce that. I'm sure it is the same on the Canadian side. You can rent a boat, zip across the St. Lawrence Seaway, and be in a foreign country with no passport and who is going to know?

7. winnebago99

winnebago99
    Expand Collapse

There are jerks in uniform on both sides of the border and this minority influences peoples opinions about all of the customs/border officials.
    We recently came back from a two week trip into Canada and frankly felt the professionalism and simple courtesy of the Canadian border people to be lacking. We were well aware of the border regulations, had all our documents including passports, and answered all of the questions they asked. It seems that if you are crossing into Canada from a state that's not your home state then apparently you become suspect of something. Add to that having the misfortune to list your occupation as self-employed and apparently the threat level rises to red. I have been in and out of Canada many times and never had to deal with some rude and frankly outrageous questions. In what possible way is it relevant if I own a gun when I already answered I had none in my possession? I don't know if it's the post 9/11 environment or just the luck of the draw but my recent experience convinces I don't want to go back.

8. danny5002

danny5002
    Expand Collapse

What a hoot!! I thought I was the only one that had problems at the Canadian/U.S. border. I'm a gringo but the people that gave me the most problems were other gringos. We thought staying on the Canandian side of Niagara would be fun and different. Different yes, fun no. The Canadians were pretty nice and consistant. The U.S. border people were rude and had a constantly changing interpretation of the rules. We walked accross one day and the US guy said "do you have any contraband"? Now to me "contraband" is something illegal or not permissable. I said "no just t-shirts and souveniers. He said "oh we don't care about that kind of stuff". Done deal. Came to the US one day and was met by a guard with his campain hat pulled down over his eyes and wearing a half-glove on one hand. That should have been a warning to me. He didn't like one of my political signs and started grilling me as to wheather I was a veteran or not. By the way the political sign had nothing to do with war, veterans or anything he was pursuing. I told him as a matter of fact I was. He went back to the back of the truck to check the plate comparing our registration. I expected him to throw a gun on us at anytime. One other time we pulled into the path and had to wait for the female guard to finish her argument with the guard next door before she could let us through. THEN, when we were leaving the country we pulled in one of the check points and a guard asked "do you have any contraband"? I knew the answser to that now. I said no, just souveniers. He began raising his voice and explained to me "that IS contraband". Crap,, and all the time I thought i had figured out the answer to one of the questions. We won't be staying on the Canadian side again. Walking accross is a lot easier.

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We left Florida about 3 weeks ago and are now in Travares City, MI and considering going up into Canada. I surely don't need any hassles in my life. I will probably just go West after crossing the bridge. It is very cold up here and is down into the 40's at night. I guess I missed the two weeks of summer.

10. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We are currently on Prince Edward Island in Canada, and will be leaving PEI for New Brunswick tomorrow and will be making a border crossing at St. Stephens, NB and Calais, Maine. Our crossing into Canada at the same crossing point was not uneventful, they, Canadian Border Guards checked our motorhome and our tow vehicle and held us up about 45 minutes to an hour. Now I would like to know what in heck are they looking for !!! We have the new "enhanced" drive licenses and do not need passports. Had all important paperwork, and was very aware of the Canadian rules governing entrance, but were still held for an inspection. Myself at 70 years old and my wife in her 60's, I repeat, what could they be looking for ???? I guess we look guilty or something. As we will be crossing back into our own country tomorrow.....this should be an enlightening experience. This same thing happened a few years back and vowed to never cross out of the USA again. But we wanted to go to PEI, and we are certainly not getting any younger, so this was the year.... Will give an update on the crossing into the USA........ great fun......

11. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We are in Sault Ste. Marie now and will be taking the toad into Canada tomorrow. I will report what happens.

12. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Lindsay,

Welcome to Canada! By the way does a "Lindsay Pole" qualify as a deadly weapon? *grin*

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Aug 31 2009, 07:32 PM) [snapback]18712[/snapback]

We are in Sault Ste. Marie now and will be taking the toad into Canada tomorrow. I will report what happens.

13. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Yes, welcome to Canada Lindsay! Hope you have a great time, and don't forget to end all your sentences with "eh?"....
    ;-)

14. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We actually strayed into Canada yesterday when we took the Lock Tour. Very nice. I am taking the big boat tour down from the Lock tour site in a few minutes. The wife isn't coming. One of of my Lindsay Pole ued to qualify as a deadly weapon, but now is only a cncealed weapon. EH

15. Bobby Will

Bobby Will
    Expand Collapse

We crossed over into Canada a few weeks ago and I was surprised at the cool, almost rude, behavior of the border guard. He asked us three times if we were carrying a gun just because we were from Texas. That was his reason for asking. Each time we answered no. Then he spouted some comment about there being over 2300 gun shops in Texas (have no idea where he got that number) and then asked us again. I very nearly gave him a lecture on American constitutional law but didn't.

The Border Patrol guard when we crossed back was just the nicest young man you could meet. We were done in less than five minutes.

16. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Our boarder guard was very nice and gave us no problems. Hedid ask me if I had a "sidearm". I told him yes, but we left it back at the campground (We went in the toad.). We are going back tomorrow for the train ride which should be very nice. People in Canada couldn't be nicer to us.

17. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We went across today and they were very nice.

18. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

There are obvious restrictions for border crossings. Guns would be one. Not so obvious are food and plants. As an example, if the meat in your freezer isn’t wrapped in the original container that validates it was US store bought; it may be subject to confiscation. There are some fresh vegetables that may not make it past the crossing. Potatoes and corn are two. House plants are subject on a case by case basis. There’s a limit on alcohol and tobacco products. All of these issues affect those RVers because a stocked rig is something we tend to take for granted. So do the research. It changes daily.

Canadian/US border crossing are not the time for chit-chat. I’ve found that having your documents ready and respond to questions with short, impersonal answers seem to work best. Like Tom, I favor yes or no.

19. 2beagles

2beagles
    Expand Collapse

We crossed into Quebec and back at Derby Line Vermont a couple of weeks ago and had zero problems. The border guards on both sides were business like and wasted no time at all. The Canadian guards asked about firearms, firewood, animals, etc., and the American guard a week later just asked our home town, occupations, places traveled, and if we had any goods to declare, and we were on our way.
    Very efficient.
    We did find out from the other four families in our group who crossed at different times and places that the proceedures were very different each time.

20. JRBI

JRBI
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Farmerswife @ Aug 22 2009, 09:12 PM) [snapback]18553[/snapback]

Has anyone else experienced rude behavior at Canadian border crossings? We took a 3 month trip to Alaska summer of 2009 and crossed the Canadian border a total of 5 times. We found some of the staff (Canadian) to be---well---condescending and snappish. I got the impression some would have preferred we'd stayed in the US. We answered all questions politely, had proper documentation and papers for our dogs (which no one was interested in seeing anyhow.)
    Just wondering if we were too sensitive.

No, you weren't too sensitive. I've been crossing the borders for 10 years and basically it boils down to luck of the draw. I've found the US side has gotten better in some cases but many times I've experienced some of the most rude behavior from the Canadian side. It's just hit and miss I guess. I live in Canada due to my wife being Canadian and I can tell you there were times when I would be crossing back into Canada that I would have just have said to hell with them and went back on the US side. While I've never been searched, I've encountered long delays. I know this may sound cliche, but they want our money but would prefer we not come up. As a permanent resident now, I usually (highlight usually) experience less difficulty. But, you always run into that one person who wants to exert his authority and it's usually some 20 year old who doesn't have a clue how to handle people.