De-winterizing

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by coacbcps, Apr 23, 2010.

1. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    Last summer was the first time my family went camping. At the end of the season we had the camper winterized. Now that the weather is getting warmer, we're ready to hit the road. This might seem like a silly question but how do you de-winterize a camper? :huh: Do I just run water through the system and wait until it runs clear? Is there anything special I need to do? Just wondering. Thanks. :)

2. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

You are likely to get numerous responses to your question but my initial advice is to check your owners manual on how to "de-winterize" your particualr unit. Those of us giving advice have no idea of what kind of RV or plumbing system you have. Then there are other questions: did you use RV anti-freeze to winterize? did you have and use the hot water heater by-pass valve before winterizing?

What kind of RV you have and how it was winterized will determine the answer to your question and the best answer will be in your manual.

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Camper implies Pop up, or travel trailer to me. But Jerry is right--more information about what you have--and how it is equipped would be valuable.

Where to start?

Rinse the onboard fresh water tank. You may wish to sanitize it by adding a small amount of bleach. The drain for it may have been left open, so don't panic if water starts flowing out of the tank.

If the lines had antifreeze in them, use the water pump to clear them--run water through until the water is running clear.

The water pump may have been left disconnected.

The water heater, if it has a by pass kit, needs to have the valves reset so it may be used. There are often three valves. Try to figure out which one is the by pass valve, and close it, then open the other two.

The drain plug may have been left open, so if water starts pouring out..don't be alarmed. Just turn off the pump and find the plug and replace it. Don't overtighten it. It would be good to use some plumbers Teflon tape on the plug.

This is probably enough to get you started--but do post more infomration please.

4. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Apr 24 2010, 12:46 AM) [snapback]21747[/snapback]

Hi,

Camper implies Pop up, or travel trailer to me. But Jerry is right--more information about what you have--and how it is equipped would be valuable.

Where to start?

Rinse the onboard fresh water tank. You may wish to sanitize it by adding a small amount of bleach. The drain for it may have been left open, so don't panic if water starts flowing out of the tank.

If the lines had antifreeze in them, use the water pump to clear them--run water through until the water is running clear.

The water pump may have been left disconnected.

The water heater, if it has a by pass kit, needs to have the valves reset so it may be used. There are often three valves. Try to figure out which one is the by pass valve, and close it, then open the other two.

The drain plug may have been left open, so if water starts pouring out..don't be alarmed. Just turn off the pump and find the plug and replace it. Don't overtighten it. It would be good to use some plumbers Teflon tape on the plug.

This is probably enough to get you started--but do post more infomration please.

Hi Pianotuna,
    Thanks for the info. I'm glad I decided to ask because it sounds a little more complicated than I first thought. Yes, I do have a popup and they did use RV antifreeze. I'm glad you mentioned that the drain might have been left open because when we were taking the camper to be stored I kept noticing water "leaking" from the bottom of our brand new camper and was a little alarmed that something might have broken. I know I would have definitely spazed out if water started flowing out of the tank as I was flushing it or if I thought the water pump wasn't working properly . . . you just saved me a few gray hairs! :p I have another question: Since antifreeze was used, is it easier to flush the systems at the first campground we go to since there will be a sewer line or is this something that is usually done before heading out on the first camp trip of the season? Also, what about the antifreeze that was used in the line for the bathroom toilet . . . sanitize that as well or does it not matter since it is the toilet? :huh:

5. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

It is really not all that bad, don't get yourself intimidated. Just think about being able to get out camping again.
    You can do what needs to be done at home. I would, just in case something is wrong, or go to your campground. Chances are everything will be fine if it was winterized properly.
    Make sure your sewer valves are closed, if you do it at home. Hook up a water line to the trailer. Turn all the faucets off. Turn on the water line going into the trailer. Have someone in the trailer checking for any leaks. If no leaks open the faucets one at a time and just a crack. Sometimes there is air in the lines and if you open them all the way the air blows the water and antifreeze all over. When you get clear water and no air you can open them and clear the lines.
    Next is the hwh. As Pianotuna said, it could have three valves or just one. If it has 3 it is no big deal. Open the 1 that goes in, should be on a blue line or on the line going in at the bottom of the hwh. Open the 1 coming out on the red line. close the last one. It should be on the blue line that connects to the red line. That is the valve that takes the cold water past the hwh and runs it into the hot and cold line for winterizing. If there is only one valve just open that one. You can let some water come out of the hwh from the drain plug. There might be pink stuff in there as well. Turn the water supply off and put the plug in after the pressure goes down. Turn the water back on and open a hot water tap. You will get more air and water til the hwh fills up then you will get just water. Don't turn the hot water heater on til you know there is water in it. If you are getting water out of the faucet there should be water in it. Check by opening the pressure relief valve on the out side of it. just lift up the plunger looking thing and some water will come out with some air. just lift it enough to get water out then let it close back up.
    It is done the same with your pump. Fill the tank, turn the pump on. If your trailer has a valve just before the pump with a line to nowhere, that valve need to be in the position to get the water from the fresh water tank. The line to nowhere is how they pump antifreeze through out the trailer. Your trailer might not have one. You will hear it run a bit then stop. That is a good thing, that means no leaks. If it keeps running look for a leak or an open faucet somewhere. The rest is the same as above.
    If you elect to do it at home, your going to get water in your black and gray holding tanks and have to drive to the campground to dump. Not a lot of water is going to be in there to create a problem. No worries about the toilet, it will take care of itself eventually.
    Don't think I missed anything. That's the way I have been doing it, but if I missed something I'm sure someone will point it out.