Deceptive Wifi In Advertising

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by janmcn, Jul 28, 2006.

1. janmcn

janmcn
    Expand Collapse

I'm getting upset at making a point of staying in an RV park that has Wifi listed in their ads as one of their amenities and then finding the site I have, gets no reception...nor do many others! The latest was Orange Grove RV Park in Bakersfield, CA which advertised Wifi in their TL ad, but when I checked in I found it was 5 possible sites. I believe that if a park offers wifi they need to correctly advertise that it is "limited" or "throughout."

I think we need to complain to the campgrounds and TL and Woodalls, etc. about this deception...which not necessarily intentional, makes it inconvenient for those of us who count on periodic opportunities to check in with the 'net.

Jan

2. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

I'm in total agreement with you. Thats get to be a common situation. The park I'm in right now is that way.

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I don't know what to do about this. When I make a reservation, I specifically ask if they have wi-fi and if it reaches through the park. Oftentimes, I am assured they do and that it reaches all sites only to find that they have lied when I arrive. I guess the only solution is to continue to write them up on situations such as this on this site.Trying to get TL or Woodalls to be ojective is like trying to get water to boil when the pot is sitting on ice cubes.

4. Homer

Homer
    Expand Collapse

I totally agree on this situation. The last several parks I tried to use WIFI in were at best non-existant to marginal. Half my mail did not make it out. In fact some were fee based and they were the worst. My thoughts are we can only specifically write those parks up on this site and warn others the WIFI is non existant to marginal. Enough people that care, will not use the park, and maybe they will improve their system.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We see this all the time. In Berlin Ohio park was on top of a hill and number sites were down in a hole. We were 400 feet from office and it would not work, we found that only site number 1 next to office would work. Site number 2 would not work. We talk to people who own park and they said it was my problem. Other people in park has same problem, no WiFi.

In New Mexico we ask at check in would WiFi work at all sites. Yes, we have tested every site. I had to drive to office at night and park under ant. to pick up system.

Down in Arcadia, FL we could not pick up system. We see other people on way to office with laptops, same problem. We ask office staff what was the problem, well it works here. I checked out system, rabbit ears system from Wal-Mart good for couple hundred feet.

In couple KOA parks I carryed the laptop to office and under the outside ant. We could not pick up anything. Worked next day at a Flying-J fuel stop.

The only way WiFi will work correct in a large park is to spent the dollars to put in a multiply base system. The rabbit ear systems are OK in your home, not in an RV park.

I write up this type of information in all reports I sent in to this board. I wish we had a check list on WiFi rating from poor to excellence. I hope webmaster can add this into report. We will be on a new type of system before WiFi is fixed.

6. Homer

Homer
    Expand Collapse

Great idea John. A short rating system for WIFI (free/fee) would help in determining before you get there what your chances of communication is. Might also let the owners know what RVers are saying about their systems. :D

7. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

The greatest service this site could provide to us would be to develop some system where, when we are rating RV parks, the signal and quality of the wi-fi could be included. We are currently staying at the Wanderlust RV Park in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. When I made the reservation weeks ago, I specifically asked if (a) they had wi-fi, and (B) if it could be received throughout the park. I was assured that they did and it worked well throughout the park. A couple of days before we arrived here, I called to confirm the reservation and again asked if they had wi-fi and if it could be received throughout the park. Once again, I was assured that they did and it worked parkwide. Now, I am here, having paid for a week in advance. I am located in the dead center of the park yet can't get even a weak signal except on rare occasions and, even then, it is so weak and slow as to be unusable. I spoke to the management and they told me that "most people usually take their laptops down to the social hall where they can get the signal." This is completely opposite of what they told me before.

What if a park advertised a swimming pool but, when you arrived, it was only a hot tub? What if a park advertised clean restrooms and, when you got there, it was an outhouse? What if they promised cable TV but, when you arrived, it was at only one site? This wi-fi rip-off is becoming ridiculous and I urge the webmaster to modify this site to help us out. I am really frustrated by the whole thing.

8. janmcn

janmcn
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Aug 1 2006, 12:24 PM) [snapback]4705[/snapback]

The greatest service this site could provide to us would be to develop some system where, when we are rating RV parks, the signal and quality of the wi-fi could be included.
    What if a park advertised a swimming pool but, when you arrived, it was only a hot tub? What if a park advertised clean restrooms and, when you got there, it was an outhouse? What if they promised cable TV but, when you arrived, it was at only one site? This wi-fi rip-off is becoming ridiculous and I urge the webmaster to modify this site to help us out. I am really frustrated by the whole thing.

I totally agree with Beastdriver about this. Many of us use wifi to conduct our business on the road, so it can really make things difficult when you plan to stay and conduct your affairs in a park, and then find you can't. I'm glad I began this thread and hope that we all can become motivated enough to really start complaining LOUDLY to the parks when they don't live up to what they advertise. This is one place we can all begin when we review a park...to mention the REAL availability of the wifi...along with cost. Perhaps the questionnaire can be modified to allow us space to rate the wifi on a scale of 1-5 along with the cost. Thanks all for participating. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is beginning to really have an issue with this...along with the poor power issue...but that's a whole other thread.
    Jan

9. dmsscs

dmsscs
    Expand Collapse

I am on a wifi network in a campground right now. It seems to be working fine, last weekend when we were here it didn't work so hot. I asked in the office about it and they explained that there were a lot of variables in getting a good connection, heavily wooded areas were harder to receive a signal in than in the open areas. The park is only 25 acres and they have 6 repeaters in place. They said no one can really promise 100% wifi 100% of the time at 100% of the sites which is why they don't charge for it. They said this is the 3rd. system they have tried to make it work and nothing seems to be a sure thing. What they are using now seems to be working...for now! They have one spot that eveybody can get on at their pavilion and most of the sites around it and in the field get great reception, then they have a few seasonal campers in the woods that put repeaters inside their campers to help boost the signal, too. I don't know if it will ever work 100%, but I would say they are trying!

10. blomquir

blomquir
    Expand Collapse

It's not just wifi guys. I've been to CGs that didn't have cable at every site and been to some that didn't have full hookups at all the sites. Wifi is just another item to be jammed on.

11. troyster

troyster
    Expand Collapse

I agree 100%. The whole WiFi rip-off is just one more of a series of scam and shams that campgrounds use to lure you in. In some markets it's caled bait and switch. One needn't wonder why so few campgrounds are members of the local BBB. For the ones that are, a complaint should be directed to their branch whenever a situation like this is encountered.

I actually had a RV Park in Vernal Utah tell me to come sit in the laundry room to get online. If I wanted to go sit somewhere, I would go to the local Internet Coffee shop. The point is to be able to have the access in my "home".

If they can't provide that, they shouldn't advertise it.

12. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Almost as bad as deceptive wi-fi advertising is when they rip you off. I am currently staying at Jellystone Park (had no choice--no place else) in Frankenmuth, MI. They advertise they have wi-fi and, when I got here, after paying $59.00 PER NIGHT for a space, I find they charge for their wi-fi. Wi-fi is quickly turning into the number one disatisfier of RVers, and I am still hopeful the webmaster of this site will make some change that will allow us to rate and comment on wi-fi at specific parks.

13. Homer

Homer
    Expand Collapse

I question the term "Free Wifi"; the places I stopped in that said Free WIFI were charging $5.00 a more a night than last year before they advertised Free WIFI. Even then the WIFI was only marginally operational. You go to the office and no one has a clue as to how their system works or even where the transponder is. So methinks this is just one more marketing tool primarily. What are you gonna do? Most of us stop because we are too tired to continue driving. I still think a WIFI rating gizmo in the reviews would help.

14. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

The other rip off with "free wi-fi" is that they advertise it for free, but that is only the first hour. Then they try to get 10 dollars plus per day. I also think it would be nice if we had some way to rate the wi-fi.

15. normanj

normanj
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Homer @ Jul 30 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]4696[/snapback]

Great idea John. A short rating system for WIFI (free/fee) would help in determining before you get there what your chances of communication is. Might also let the owners know what RVers are saying about their systems. :D

I am certainly not impressed about the lies told about internet hookup being mostly unavailable and wifi being charged quite expensively at almost every park I visited over the 4 months south this year. I would rate every park I visited in Florida at no higher than a 2 out of 10

It definately is only another gimmick to get you into the park and the expense for 24 hour hookup is rediculous.

The lies told about the "We're trying our best" are soon to be realized when you call the supplier direct to find the problem.The supplier is quick to expain that usually the campground does not call to get problems fixed, and the main reason is they tell the supplier,"why should we worry about it,internet dosen't make us any money,It costs us." That is where the problem lies and I hope it comes back to Kick 'em in the ass.

16. dmsscs

dmsscs
    Expand Collapse

I have asked around about the whole outdoor wifi thing and it seems to me it isn't as cut and dry as you think. There are many variables, how many trees are there or other things that might interfer with the signal, is the camper you're in metal, do you have an N card or a G card in your computer? Is it compatible with the parks internet service? that interfers, too. I think the camping industry is changing too fast for the parks to keep up with it. I don't think the whole wifi thing is perfected for use in a campground situation. It seems to me there are no parks that have 100% coverage, if there are, I haven't found one yet nor has anyone I have spoken to, including the posters here. I am happy with a central location that I might sit at to connect. I have seen parks with modems on the pay phone, or a spot in a field. Just like cell service, you can't get it everywhere. I was recently in a park that didn't have cable tv, no cell service, no interent service and some kid slammed the handset on the pay phone down so hard it broke the ear piece rendering it unusable for at least two days. I will tell you, without the interference of these modern conviences, we had a great time "camping". We went canoeing, went to the dance, sat by a fire with new friends we made. The grand kids played volleyball, we entered the horseshoe tournament and won a hula contest. If wifi, cable and cell service are the things that are important to you in life, maybe you should stay home where you can get all those services all the time. We enjoy camping....roughing it with our dish network, our microwave, our air conditioning.. yeah roughing it, that is what I like!! ;)

17. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Everyone has different priorities. To some, the wi-fi service is the most important thing. My concern is that a campground that is absolutely wonderful in every other way will get a low rating based on their wi-fi service. So, I totally agree that a separate rating in the review is a good thing. It shouldn't be too difficult to change the line that has wi-fi from yes or no to a 1 - 10 numerical rating.

18. PatJ3

PatJ3
    Expand Collapse

JUst a comment: if the campgrounds say they have WIFI and it reaches a minimum of 50% of their park, Trailer Life accepts that and gives them points on their inspection based on that. If the range is less than required, they cannot advertise WIFI or get the points for their rating.

So, if a TL rated park has advertised WIFI and most of the park does not received it due to "obstacles" , you have the right as the consumer to contact TL and report them. If they receive enough reports that are negative, they will be checked.

In some cases, WIFI reception has a bearing on how your computer system/WIFI is configured and the composition of your rig - aluminum or wood frame. I believe there are campgrounds out there who are not trying to con you, but are trying to do the best they can. We have gone to some campgrounds that said Free WIFI - but were unable to get reception until we got to the laundry room. Then we had to pay after the 1st 30 min.

Just my POV. Thanks for listening.

19. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

It needs to be understood that there is not a rv park in the world that cannot provide wi-fi to all the spaces in the park just as long as they are willing to place repeaters and proper antenna throughout the park. I have a MotoSat internet dish atop my coach that feeds down into a wi-fi router inside the coach. I frequently give my access code to coaches as far as ten spaces on either side of me so they can get wi-fi. The world is full of excuses but the bottom line is that, if you are not willing to buy the proper equipment, you cannot serve an rv park. I am tired of hearing these "the dog ate my homework" excuses.

20. dmsscs

dmsscs
    Expand Collapse

I am sure you are right beastdriver, but at what cost to the park? You must remember that everything costs money and those costs are passed on to us the campers. I know for a fact that a park can have 100% service by hardwiring throughout the park, but that means digging ditches, laying lines at a great expense, so if the site rentals go up to cover the cost, will we then be complaining that camping has gotten too expensive? I think the service is free because they can't promise service to all sites and we should be gateful for the service we do get. I am at a park right now and seem to be getting pretty good service. I am in a field, and my dish is working pretty good, too! :)