Denali Ntl Pk Campground Restrictions

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by admiralshelper, Mar 25, 2006.

1. admiralshelper

admiralshelper
    Expand Collapse

Hi - We are renting a 30' RV in Anchorage to tour Alaska and visit Denali. I am having trouble getting info on the restrictions for RV's in the park. Any folks experienced with staying in the park campgrounds?

I guess I would also like advice and opinions on campgrounds in the Fairbanks area.

2. PappaDee

PappaDee
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes: Admiral, not sure of information you are requesting. If your concern is size of sites, you will have no problem getting a 30 footer into most any of the campgrounds in Alaska. We were there 4 years ago and will be returning this summer also. Be aware that some campgrounds use large generators to provide electricity to their sites and many do not have sewer hookups, but do have dump stations.

Lots of free information is available and you have time to request either by snail mail or online. Have a great time!

3. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Not sure what you are asking for. The park is run by ARAMARK and all resevations are handled through them.
    You are very limited on where you can drive in the park. If you are lucky enough to get a camp site you are only allowed to drive to that site and back out when your resevation is over. This is the site for reservations denali@aramark.com
    It has been 2 years since we where there but things are very crowded and it is wise to make reservations.

4. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

We spent over a month in Alaska in 2004. We were very disappointed in the Denali area. It was very, very busy with hundreds of tour buses,etc. We only spent one night then moved on. Later found out from several others that the STATE PARK is much less crowded, more wildlife,great hiking, and easier to get reservations. Be sure to take advantage of the 'pull over areas' along the main highway--great scenery and cost is '0', just have to self contained. Most RV park/campgrounds are gravel lots. We stayed in Santaland RV Park in North Pole. It was tight, but clean, nice people, and Santa's House is a shopper's dream, especially for us grandmas! Most of the park close the entrance of Denali were packed very tight and the most expensive at least $35/night!!! Check out the reviews on this site for parks, etc. We found some great parks on the Kenai Penns. after we were booked for week in Soldotna. Have a great time, but try to go in the early summer. As I said before, Alaska gets very, very come July 10th or so.

5. admiralshelper

admiralshelper
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your responses. Found out through a Trip Advisor website response that Denali NP will allow up to 40' rigs. I had read in a book about a restriction to 20' size and that was my concern. We have reservations at Savage River.

6. Sonic

Sonic
    Expand Collapse

I also have questions about the "40 foot rule" at Denali National Park. The reservation service (which someone said is in New York!) says that your OVERALL length (trailer and tow vehicle) has to be 40 feet or less for Savage River Campground. However, I've seen at least one review on this site from someone who camped there with a 35' fifth wheel (which is what I have). The combined length of my 5th wheel and dually crewcab truck is over 40 feet. Is this really a problem at Savage River?? Some personal experience comments would be greatly appreciated.

7. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

We were in AK a few yrs ago and couldn't get in campgrounds at the National Park. Later found out the the State Park was almost empty and wasn't near as busy or crowded with lots of wildlife to be seen in the area. You might check it out. It is just south of the National Park if I remember correctly. Good luck!

8. Sonic

Sonic
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(stonybirch @ Apr 10 2011, 05:19 PM) [snapback]25809[/snapback]

We were in AK a few yrs ago and couldn't get in campgrounds at the National Park. Later found out the the State Park was almost empty and wasn't near as busy or crowded with lots of wildlife to be seen in the area. You might check it out. It is just south of the National Park if I remember correctly. Good luck!

I'll certainly check out the State Park. It's a shame that it's so hard to get reliable info from the National Park itself. I got a person on the phone at Denali, but she was an intern (sounded like a Valley Girl) working her first year and had no idea about the campgrounds. She asked "somebody that was here last year" and his only advice was "call the reservation service toll free number". They just took the easiest answer that came to mind - "no". Sigh.

Thanks for your response.

9. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

My experience with ARAMARK's reservtion system was terribly disappointing three years ago. A friend and I rented an RV for a week thinking we'd have two days at one of the interior camping areas of the park during the early summer, which was limited to hard side vehicles due to the wildlife that had been frequenting the area at night (and during the day in some cases.) I made reservtions using ARAMARK's web site, but unfortunately did not take a copy of the reservtion with me (dumb, dumb, dumb !) Upon arriving (close to the deadline for our reservation expiring), ARAMARK insisted that I had no reservtion and that only the general camping area was available. :angry:

When I got back I sent them a scathing e-mail and proof of my reservtion.....their apologies & the refund were hardly worth my effort. In my opinion, it was inexcuseable, and I have to wonder whose friend took our place.

I CAN recommend the 12 hour bus trip that goes to the end of the road and back if you are looking for wildlife, as long as you realize that you will be sitting on a school bus seat on a very bouncy road, with dust coming thru the windows. Saw several bears and moose, even a fox.