Diamond Shield: Bug Stains

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by jchapman, Sep 20, 2009.

1. jchapman

jchapman
    Expand Collapse

Hello All,

I take great pride in keeping our 09 revolution clean as much as possible. However, lately on our last trip home from st. louis the front end got plastered with bugs. We did not get to scrub the front until about 3-4 days later. Most all of the bugs came off very easy, except 2 or 3 large bugs that left a yellow-orange residue or stain. Unfortunately, these stains are on the tan part of the paint scheme. This diamond shield is stained and it is driving me crazy. Does anyone have any tricks--we really didn't want to put a bra on the front. Please help...Brandon and Julie

ps, we have tried scrubbing with wax, rubbing alcohol, and soaps.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

See if fabric softener sheets will help. The ones you use in your dryer at home. Works wet, dry, new, or used.

3. Ohiojude

Ohiojude
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Sep 21 2009, 10:44 AM) [snapback]19089[/snapback]

See if fabric softener sheets will help. The ones you use in your dryer at home. Works wet, dry, new, or used.

And it doesn't matter what brand eithere. Someone over at rv.net showed pictures of a really bad bug trip. He did a before and after, it was awsome the difference and you can't beat the price :)

4. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Ohiojude @ Sep 22 2009, 01:42 PM) [snapback]19116[/snapback]

And it doesn't matter what brand eithere. Someone over at rv.net showed pictures of a really bad bug trip. He did a before and after, it was awsome the difference and you can't beat the price :)

Boy, those dryer sheets are fantastic! I asked about winter storage and how to keep the mice out of my pop up and was told to try the dryer sheets. It keeps the mice out of the camper, keeps the outside clean and neat AND leaves a fresh spring scent . . . you just can't beat that! :lol:

5. jchapman

jchapman
    Expand Collapse

THANKS.....WE ARE NOW HUGE FANS OF SOFTNER SHEETS.....

6. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Sep 21 2009, 07:44 AM) [snapback]19089[/snapback]

OK John Blue.
    Have stopped traveling for a spell. Traveled from the relatively bug-less southern California area (ants not included in this discussion), to the rich, bug ecosystems of the mid-west. Good grief, the front of our rig and towcar are beyond bugs. We've been slimed! (Wings and legs included). :blink:
    As soon as it stops raining, I'm going to put your dryer sheet recommendation to the test.
    More later.

7. James C

James C
    Expand Collapse

Another idea for some tough ones is to use claybar and a detailing fluid. It is friendly to the paint because it is very fine-grained. You can get Mother's Claybar Kit at Autozone that includes the clay bar and detailing fluid. You first spray with the detailing fluid then wipe off the bugs with the claybar. It is also very useful for removing marks from the paint.

If you use the dryer sheets it is better to use wet ones to decrease the chance of scratching the surface.

8. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

I hate to admit I'm currently in such a (very) remote location... there are no Autozones for hundreds of miles. Was feeling blessed to find an electrician that understood the 50amp plug configuration for RV's... :ph34r:

However that claybar kit is something I could use for other minor scuff marks on our paint (tow car also). It on my list for when we route back to civilization and warmer winter weather.

Thanks so much for the great ideas! B)