Diesel Prices

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Beastdriver, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Can someone explain to me why diesel fuel, which is the least expensive for the oil companies to refine, has an octane rating less than half of gasoline, and which has always been less than the cheapest regular fuel and much, much less than mid-grade and premium gasoline, has suddenly become the most expensive fuel out there? While this is painful to RVers, it has gotta be killing truckers and others who depend on diesel for a living. Am I missing something here?

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Beastdriver, did you happen to see the quarterly reports on the profits that oil companies made? Even in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, they had record profits. Even though they deny it, price gouging definitely took place. Can't tell you why diesel is higher, can't understand why gasoline is at the price it is now. I know here in Denver, the powers that be have been looking into that - hopefully congress or some other entity will do the same and bring fuel down to a level that would be more affordable for everyone.

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl:

Thanks. With the best Congress money can buy, I am sure we will get a true, unbiased explanation.

4. rvingwithkids

rvingwithkids
    Expand Collapse

Supposedly, the refineries for diesel were slower to get back online than the ones for Gas, so they were depleting reserves to provide diesel. I think this is true because in many places stations were selling farm diesel (dyed red) rather than regular low-sulfur diesel and giving people EPA waivers in case they were checked. (There are normally pretty stiff penalties for using farm diesel in non-farm vehicles.)

Most of the truckers don't care too much because they bill whoever is paying the shipping fees for the additional fuel expense.

Now as for the oil companies, I think they should be fined for price gouging. The crappy excuses they were giving in the congressional hearing had my blood boiling. Saying how much money they are spending on alternate energy research. (Excactly who put them in charge of finding new energy sources? They choose to do this research, and I don't care how much they spend on it. Just don't steal from me to pay for it.) It's just as likely my next door neighbor or yours would come up with a new energy source as they would.

Ok, enough venting....

5. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Most of the truckers don't care too much because they bill whoever is paying the shipping fees for the additional fuel expense.

And they turn around and bill us "the buying public" to cover their expenses.

6. jojolima

jojolima
    Expand Collapse

Heating oil, jet fuel, etc. are about the same product as diesel fuel. With the increase in natural gas, fuel oil is in demand. They were able to produce gasoline following Katrina.

Diesel is always more in the fall. In the spring, diesel fuel will be cheaper than gasoline. The break usually happens in February.

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Nov 18 2005, 02:18 PM) [snapback]2940[/snapback]

Can someone explain to me why diesel fuel... has suddenly become the most expensive fuel out there? While this is painful to RVers, it has gotta be killing truckers and others who depend on diesel for a living. Am I missing something here?

Ok...since we're remembering the 'not-so-distant-past' in regards to fuel prices.
    Beastdriver could have just as easily posted this yesterday...
    :huh:

8. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

FosterImposters: And I still do not have an answer other than greed!

9. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

Regarding rvwithkids comment,I agree an extreamly high fine would be great but the down side of that unfotunatly is they would raise fuel prices ones again to cover the fine. Now who is going to inforce the fine? Shure wont be Goerge W!!!! Stimulate the economy! Then lets give a check,ooohhh a whole $600. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out,do "one thing" lower fuel and watch what happen's,goods go down,confidence goes up and it gives peaple more money to spend than a stupid check ever would do. We are being lead and governed by "IDIOT'S"

10. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Mar 30 2008, 07:03 AM) [snapback]10965[/snapback]

FosterImposters: And I still do not have an answer other than greed!

Has there been ANY marches, riots, trucker blockades, or ? in regards to the record diesel/fuel prices this spring? Am aware of smaller airline closures...but we seem very quiet as a nation...or did I miss the memo? :unsure: