Digital Tv's - Now I'm Really Confused!

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, May 13, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I was out in my RV last week. I have two digital TV's - one that came with the RV, and one that I bought for the bedroom area. I stayed at an RV park with cable TV. I hooked up both TV's to the cable. Well, guess what. Both TV's scanned different channels. What I mean is...... one TV got channels that the other TV didn't scan, and vice versa. For example, one TV scanned in the USA channel perfectly fine, the other one didn't get it. When I tried to manually add it, the channel was snowy! (Despite the fact that the other TV got it just fine!) ALso, one TV scanned in ONE and only one PBS channel, while the other TV scanned in THREE PBS channels. What the.......??????? Ok, now I'm really confused! This was in Spokane, WA.

Also, one of the TV's scanned audio channels, the other TV didn't.

I can only figure that one of my TV's is digital but not High Def, and the other TV is both Digital and High Def. That's gotta be it.........

21st Century high tech. WHEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JJ

2. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I honestly hate digital TV's...I wish they'd stick to analog. I have the digital TV from hell...it has a mind of it's own...I'll be watching a station and it will automatically turn to another station even though I have nothing programmed .
    I took it back to where I got it and they can't figure out anything with it...and it doesn't do it at the same time all the time it will be different times during the day and evening.

I'm honestly thinking of just ditching TV all together and watch what I can on the computer to save the hassle.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

You and my wife are sisters, everything is a problem, the remote on TV will not work right. What did you do wrong, well I hit the VCR button and the TV will not change channels now. OK now that I have had my fun back to work.

I have worked in radio and TV repair for a long time so see if this will help you.

You have a power amp in the bat wing ant on roof, you need 12 volt power to be on. The cable from bat wing comes down to a panel of switches. You will see TV1, TV2, VCR, DVD, and you may have a sat dish lead in. Set TV1 & TV2 to on. Then scan each TV again and write down channels you can see or pick up off the air waves only. The TV's may have a sig. meter some place. One we have at home will show all green bar, yellow, or red bars. Red you are dead. If the cable from front to rear is correct you will have very little sig. loss. If you do have sig.loss TV's will not see the same information. One more trick is welcome to "made in Chine". If TV is not set up correct it may never work right. If all this failures can you move the two TV sets front to rear and see if you have the same number of channels on each set? You may can set them up inside your home and run same test over with an outside ant. If it is the same then you have sig loss some place in the TV cable wiring, welcome to poor RV workmanship in the good old USA.

High Def is not part of the problem here.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

John, thanks, that makes a lot more sense! FUnny thing was.... the TV that wouldn't get the USA channel was the TV that came with the RV, right under the bat wing! The TV in the bedroom got USA just fine! COnversely, the TV in the front got three PBS, the one in the bedroom, only one.

ONe of my friends said I should run them on Antena before I try cable, kind of like you said. Ok, next trip (scheduled in June), I'll give that a try!

By the way, I switched my travel plans. Some of my friends convinced me it would be a heck of a lot better to go to Pennsylvania in September, avoid the humidity and mosquitos. Ok. So, in July, I'm taking a "dry run" trip to Colorado Springs. MY nephew will graduate from AF Academy in 2011, so I'm going to take a "dry run" trip to figure out the route, what RV park to stay at, where can I rent a car, etc...... ANother RV'r that I know told me to avoid I-70 in an RV.

JJ

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

You do not need to be on a trip to run the test. Fire up the TV sets and test it before you start to roll. We test everything at home before we travel anyplace. On the road is a hard place to run test. If you can not find the problem a good TV shop may can help you as well. If you feed me more formation on TV problem I may be able to help you, but I need information. You did not say you did any of the test in my post.

Colorado Springs is a beautiful place to tour, eat in, camp in. and everything in one. Traffic is not a problems to me and most RV parks were great. The AF Academy was very nice to tour. City is full of great places to eat out. Garden of the Gods is a very large Red rock, very nice to look at. Check out Cog Railway to top of Pikes Peak. On our next trip out we plan to spend more time in C/S. PA is a great place to tour any time of the year, we like fall the best.

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ May 14 2008, 07:57 PM) [snapback]11493[/snapback]

You have a power amp in the bat wing ant on roof, you need 12 volt power to be on. The cable from bat wing comes down to a panel of switches. You will see TV1, TV2, VCR, DVD, and you may have a sat dish lead in. Set TV1 & TV2 to on. Then scan each TV again and write down channels you can see or pick up off the air waves only. The TV's may have a sig. meter some place. One we have at home will show all green bar, yellow, or red bars. Red you are dead. If the cable from front to rear is correct you will have very little sig. loss.

JOhn, my Fleetwood Jamboree (first RV) had what you describe here. My Forest River (past and present) do not have this kind of thing. I have a bat wing antena, with the (i call this a) "cable switcher" (where you press in when on antena, and press out when on cable, or maybe it's the other way around....). The "cable switcher" is inside a cabinet, where the cable goes to the antena.

Where I live, the only stations I can get "over the air" are three Canadian channels. Next time I'm out to the RV storage, I'll try what you describe.

JJ

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

We call this item a switch box. They all work the same way. You will need the 12 volt power on bat wing or you will see very little TV. Boy, you live in the sticks up around 47 degs north.