Driving Nj To Florida Where To Stay Along The Way

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by freelander, Nov 8, 2008.

1. freelander

freelander
    Expand Collapse

Hi Everyone
    I am planning a trip in Dec going from NJ to Florida I need suggestions where to spend the night on the way.. I have 3 children so I am afraid of ending up someplace unsafe.. any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thank You
    Chris :)

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Please provide a bit more detailed info. What's your intended destination and by what route?

3. freelander

freelander
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Nov 9 2008, 12:49 AM) [snapback]13824[/snapback]

Please provide a bit more detailed info. What's your intended destination and by what route?

We will be taking NJ turnpike.. drive about hrs first day. we will be leaving about 10AM
    I have not planned a route yet..I95 all the way.. Do you have a betterway? this is our 2nd driveto fl.. the first time we ended up in some pretty shady places..our destination is somewher e south west. not exactly sure yet. I would like an rv park close to beach.. I am not familiar so any advice is appreciated.

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have made this similar trip several times and in December, I don't think you need any reservations. Just drive until you get ready to stop and have the navigator be keeping track of what is up ahead via the Trailerlife, Woodalls, and Passport America. IF you make a regis schedule, you might end up stopping earlier or later that you might want to. December shouldn't be a problem and we are noticing a lots few RVs on the road here in Florida also. Can't imagine you would have any problems. Wal-Mart is another option and most have 24 hour security. We feel just as safe there as anywhere else. Have a great trip and remember to keep the kids buckled up.

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Some places I've stayed. Most won't be cheap, but you will not need to be concerned with the "shady" thing. Americamp just north of Richmond at I-95 & 64. Yogi Berry exit 17 at Emporia, VA. KOA in Fayetteville, NC. Lake Harmony in Townsend, GA. Flamingo Lake RV Resort NW side of Jacksonville on I-295. You can look them all up on this website.

Can't help from there down. I usually travel I-75 when in that area. You did say you wanted to end up in southwest FL. If so, you'll have to transistion off I-95 somewhere south of Jacksonville.

6. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

I've stayed at all three KOA's along 95 in NC, they are all far enough away from the interstate for a good night's sleep without being too far. I've also stayed in Savannah Oaks, same story there. I've never used them, but South of the Border in SC and Santee state park in SC seem to be reasonable alternatives. But then I prefer to drive 10 minutes out of my way and have a good nights sleep, as I'm not able to sleep next to the interstate.

7. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

We've always stayed at South of the Border. That's approximately the half way point from PA to Florida. Super convenient and never had a problem with the interstate noise since it sits back a little from the road. Yes, South of the Border itself is a tourist trap (although kind of neat), but the campground is really nice.

8. freelander

freelander
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Nov 11 2008, 03:14 PM) [snapback]13841[/snapback]

We've always stayed at South of the Border. That's approximately the half way point from PA to Florida. Super convenient and never had a problem with the interstate noise since it sits back a little from the road. Yes, South of the Border itself is a tourist trap (although kind of neat), but the campground is really nice.

thanks for all the advice, please keep it coming :D