Durango KOA North in Durango, CO

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by gammy05, May 21, 2004.

1. gammy05

gammy05
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone camped at the Durango KOA North? If so, do you recommend it? We welcome comments on RV parks in Durango. We plan on spending part of July & all of August in Durango & want a very nice park. We have a 31' 5th wheel with 2 slides. We want to have a space large enough to put out the awning & to have some space. Any comments/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    gammy

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

gammy05

Look at United Camground four miles north of Durango on Hwy 550. You will love this place. Park is very nice, has a lot of large trees, a 31 foot is no problem here, river next to park, Durango& Silverton railroad runs thur park, people who own park are very nice. Lot of kids in park about four weeks ago. Ride the old steam train and have great time. KOA park is back up in the hills and hard to get to. Down side is park is full this time of year. Call and set up a space. Kids and older people love to see the train come thru park on way to Silverton.

Town of Durango and Silverton are a great place to viist.

Have fun.

3. Arizonian

Arizonian
    Expand Collapse

;) I last stayed at the Durango North KOA in 1973. It was great then. I suspect that it may be a mite changed since then!

4. Rarintogo

Rarintogo
    Expand Collapse

We too love the United Campground. Have been going there for years. A few weeks ago we decided to try something new and stayed at the Alpen Rose, which is about 3 miles from the United. We really liked it there too. We stayed in the newer part of the campground. The spots were good sized and the whole park is great. They have a great pancake breakfast every morning that was great. The older part of the campground has lots of trees and those spots looked nice too, but might not have been quite as large. They also have Wi-Fi which is the main reason we decided to try it. I would love to stay at either campground for a month or so and re-explore the area.

5. Dixiechick

Dixiechick
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at the Alpen Rose campground last summer. It is in the same area as the United but on the other side of the road. There is a stocked pond on the premises and the workcampers prepared breakfast for us every day. Any day I don't have to cook is a wonderful day! The campground is shaded and very clean-we highly recommend it!

6. wingnut60

wingnut60
    Expand Collapse

We were in the United CG last Sept for 5 days--it is an excellent place. Will stay there again when in the area.

7. ngreen

ngreen
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at the Durango North KOA last year - it was about as great as a KOA can get - clean, lots of nice services - but close together sites - try to get one on the river - they have nice views

Be sure and go to Honeyville and buy some flavored honey for me!