Dust In The Attic Fan Screens.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by RL36, May 7, 2008.

1. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

:D Ive accumulated dust on my attic fan screens and was wondering if anyone had a good solution to getting it out.With the fan in the way is there a good way to remove it? Thank you!!!! :D

2. Webmaster

Webmaster
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RL36 @ May 7 2008, 03:09 PM) [snapback]11418[/snapback]

:D Ive accumulated dust on my attic fan screens and was wondering if anyone had a good solution to getting it out.With the fan in the way is there a good way to remove it? Thank you!!!! :D

I'm assuming you have something like a max-air over your fan, almost every rig I see these days have them now?

That's the way mine is setup too, and I have recently noticed both screens need cleaning too.

I'd also like to hear about the best solution for cleening the inside screen. Neither lint roller nor vacuum work, a wet cloth does get it clean eventually, but the rest of the room usually ends up a mess.

As for the attic screen, I plan to remove the inside screen and see if I can get my hand or one of the kids smaller hands up through the fan to clean the attic screen.

3. jojolima

jojolima
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Webmaster @ May 7 2008, 10:16 PM) [snapback]11422[/snapback]

I'm assuming you have something like a max-air over your fan, almost every rig I see these days have them now?

That's the way mine is setup too, and I have recently noticed both screens need cleaning too.

I'd also like to hear about the best solution for cleening the inside screen. Neither lint roller nor vacuum work, a wet cloth does get it clean eventually, but the rest of the room usually ends up a mess.

As for the attic screen, I plan to remove the inside screen and see if I can get my hand or one of the kids smaller hands up through the fan to clean the attic screen.

4. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

I have 2 fans,one in bathroom and one in the livingroom.Its the kind you set to a temperature

and it also has a rain sensor in it. B)

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have the Fan-Tastic in bathroom like most RV's and I found if you have some dust on screen, it works to run fan at full speed then brush screen. This will clean up the light stuff. One problem is the cover over fan on roof.

I called Fan-Tastic (800-521-0298) and talked to Bob Beretta over a missing part. Bob sent me the part free plus no shipping cost. Bob also said the covers over fan cut down on air flow and may build up more dust due to slow air flow. No cover over open fan= rain inside.

If you have a Fan-Tastic and most are, remove the row of screws on screen. Next remove one screw in center of crank. This will let you remove screen. Next you will see four more screws, remove them. Fan will drop down, remove fan blade, clean it plus now you can clean inside parts with little problems. Fan blade spins off with nut in center. You can unplug one 12 volt wire and out comes the unit. Also remove cover on roof top and wash it out. Before you put cover back on clean any parts you could not get to from inside. You can get to everything with very little trouble.

Fan-Tastic name and phone # is on fan blade. Bob will be happy to help you or e-mail me for more information. :p

6. jojolima

jojolima
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RL36 @ May 8 2008, 06:13 AM) [snapback]11424[/snapback]

I have 2 fans,one in bathroom and one in the livingroom.Its the kind you set to a temperature
    and it also has a rain sensor in it. B)

Sorry my original post did not make the forum.

A Magic Eraser will remove all of the lint and dust. Make certain that it is wet. Wipe in both directions. I also run my fan in both directions to remove any remaining "stuff".

Happy Trails.

7. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

I usually just remove the screens and clean them in the sink. Wash down the fan area as best I can and run with that.

8. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

to John Blue:

Thanks John for your information, as I knew there had to be an easier way to clean in an around the fan assemblies. Thanks again......

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This tip probably wouldn't work for caked on dust, dirt or grime, but if there is debris--bugs, leaves, etc.--on the screens you can use a hair dryer on the inside to blow them up and out. Just my $0.02.

10. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

:D Thank to everyone. I used a wet paper towel and wiped the screen and all the dust rolled up into wet dust balls and came right out. It was a trip,that really workes well.No screens to remove or anything. Hope this helps anyone! :D