East Coast Destination Ideas

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by FLProfessor, Apr 22, 2011.

1. FLProfessor

FLProfessor
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

New member here, although, I've used the reviews for some time now to help find new places to camp.

We're looking to go to the mountains next year. (We're in Florida) I'm thinking NC, SC, TN, maybe VA, W.VA areas? Somewhere around a day's drive from the Orlando area give or take.

What we're really looking for is a river side campground. (or near enough to walk/short drive) However, some touristy things are fun as well. I really like the Lookout Mountain area near Chattanooga, but, I'm open for ideas.

I spent my youth camping at Buffalo River in Arkansas and remember being able to literally walk from the campsite and get in the water. On a few occasions, we camped right next to the river itself. Mainly, I remember how crystal clear the water always was, the Mrs. is insisting she won't swim unless she can see what's in the water with her. :rolleyes:

I can find a number of mountain campgrounds, but, none that seem to fit what I'm looking for. We're looking for that clear mountain stream/river for swimming, maybe some tubing, fishing.

Also, advice on best time of year to go would be appreciated. Not too hot/cold. Warm enough to swim, but, cool enough to enjoy. Oh yea, and low mosquito count would be nice.

Are we dreaming?

Thanks.

Jeff

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to research campgound info.

I have lived in VA, SC, & GA and have RV’d thru out the SE US. I too enjoy the mountains in the states you listed. But your problem is that they aren’t a “days” drive from Orlando. The closest that you are going to get to that goal is most likely NE Georgia - although there are some high “hills” in NE Alabama.

One particular campground that comes to mind is Mountain Stream in Marion, NC. The stream is only deep enough to wade or sit in. Access to the Blue Ridge Parkway is convenient plus Marion is a nice town to visit. I don't fish so can't help you there. Their website has a few pictures that may be of interest. http://www.mountainstreamrvpark.com/

As you have realized, all your wishes and wants are hard to find in one package. May I suggest that you look into the Smoky Mountain area in TN. And I am not talking about the tourist area, but rather something on the fringe of that region. You will not get there in one day, but all of the things you’d like to experience are available within a short distance by toad or tow vehicle.

Yeah, you are dreaming about a low mosquito count if you expect not to have any during warm weather. It’s sorta like wishing that there weren’t any love bugs in FL in May. Take some bug spray and learn to live with it.

3. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ May 3 2011, 08:59 PM) [snapback]26001[/snapback]

Yeah, you are dreaming about a low mosquito count if you expect not to have any during warm weather. It’s sorta like wishing that there weren’t any love bugs in FL in May. Take some bug spray and learn to live with it.

As far as I know, inland fishing & bugs go together! :)