Electrical issues from poor hookups at campsite

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Dawn626, Jul 26, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn626

Dawn626
    Expand Collapse

My husband need some legal advice after a terrible experience at a Sun Outdoors in Cape Charles Virginia. We arrived at the campsite on a Sunday afternoon. Only a few hrs after hooking everything up the campgrounds experienced a power outage. We use a surge protector every trip and it was hooked up at this site. During the outage we tried to switch over to our on board generator. We then noticed power couldn't be restored to most of our electronics even with the generator on. My husband is very handy and works with electrical equipment regularly for his job as an elevator mechanic. Many of our electronics haven't been about to work since the surge. We have am rv mechanic we work with at home and will have him assess the situation but I don't want to be held responsible for the damage caused by their electrical issues. Can anyone help point us in the right direction? I posted a picture of the electrical box which flooded the second night of our stay with only a few hrs worth of rain.

Attached Files:

2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Dawn626, Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that your rig experienced an electrical surge that the surge protector was unable to mitigate. Power spikes after a power outage are very common occurrences. That's why it is adviseable, when a power outage occurs, unplugged the power cord from the power pedestal. Once power has been restored and is stable then reconnect the power cord to the pedestal. In your case, I suspect several circuit breakers were tripped. I would check the power distribution panel to ensure all breakers/fuses are functional. Legal advise is best obtained from an attorney who deals with RV damage mediation.

#2 Paythebill, Jul 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
    Fitzjohnfan likes this.
  3. Dawn626

Dawn626
    Expand Collapse

Thanks so much for your reply. We did unplug as soon as we knew the power went out. My husband did check all the breakers and fuses but we can't find the source of the problem yet. We will have our rv guy look at it when we get back home. I will try to find an attorney who specializes in rv damages.

4. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Just a guess for what it's worth. I would check the power converter. If you experienced a burning smell the culprit could be the power converter.

Onemoretrail likes this.
  5. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Thread now closed to further replies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.