Engine Batteries In Rv - When To Change???

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Mar 9, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

My experience on cars is that right at three years, the engine battery goes POOF and you have to replace it.

Well, my current RV was purchased in Oct 2005 (it's a 2006 model), I'm coming up on three years next October, will I need to replace the engine battery? I called my FORD dealer (I have a FORD chasis) and they said RV's usually have "heavy duty five year" batteries. Ok, but I am still going to get the dang thing tested before I attempt my Shanksville, PA trip this summer! (Gas prices willing......)

JJ

2. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Mar 9 2008, 10:41 PM) [snapback]10627[/snapback]

My experience on cars is that right at three years, the engine battery goes POOF and you have to replace it.

Well, my current RV was purchased in Oct 2005 (it's a 2006 model), I'm coming up on three years next October, will I need to replace the engine battery? I called my FORD dealer (I have a FORD chasis) and they said RV's usually have "heavy duty five year" batteries. Ok, but I am still going to get the dang thing tested before I attempt my Shanksville, PA trip this summer! (Gas prices willing......)

JJ

Having been a Ford Dealership Parts Mgr, retired since 2001, the premium batteries sold at that time were 7year/84 month, and were pro-rated as to the time used compared to months left on the factory warranty. To replace this battery before completion of the warranty would cost you more money. Original equipment batteries used in chassis may not be in this classification as the purchasing specification for that chassis, by the coach manufacturer, may contain a lessor valued battery. The Ford owners manual information pack should indicate your battery warranty. At the time of retirement, the profit margin was about a ten dollar bill per battery, we sold them at five dollar profit, the service dept made more money than us with the installation, but we sold a large number of batteries due to the pricing.