Escondido, Ca Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Mollet, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mollet

Mollet
    Expand Collapse

We are newbies planning a trip to the Escondido area in March. We would appreciate any feedback/suggestions on campgrounds (including any State parks) in this area. Thanks.

2. mso

mso
    Expand Collapse

There are a few parks in Escondido. The nicest in regards to cleanliness, paved sites, centrally located and amentities is Sunland Park on El Norte Parkway. There are two others north of the city approximately 6-10 miles, however, not as nice. One is called Champange Lakes RV Resort and the I think the other one is called Season RV Resort. The second one is located right next to the I15. If you something more "rustic" check out the county park at Lake Dixon. Enjoy the Escondido area.

3. Mollet

Mollet
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We find it difficult to sipher through what the website says about a campground versus the reality of what it's really like. We'll definitely check out the ones you suggested.

4. RVonthego

RVonthego
    Expand Collapse

If you don't mind traveling over to the coast, there are a couple of State campgrounds that we really enjoy. South Carlsbad or San Elijo. If you book one of these, try for a bluff site. Gorgeous sunsets and you can watch the surfers all day (especially at San Elijo). There are no hookups but the restroom and shower facilities are very good and clean.

5. janmcn

janmcn
    Expand Collapse

We're at the Escondido RV Resort now and have been here several times over the last 5 years. The "lower level" is older and tight spaces for anything larger than 36' or so with little space for any slideouts. HOWEVER, we were able to squeeze our 40' with 2 slides in a site several years ago before they built the 'upper level" which has larger (longer and wider) spaces which is where we always go now. It's got a great dog area (if that is necessary for you). Heated (90+ degree!) pool (small, but great for arthritis), spa, clean rest rooms and laundry. Nice livingroom area with local papers and coffee. It's conveniently just off I-15 at the El Norte exit. A mile or so in either direction are groceries, Ihop, pharmacy, dry cleaners, theater, etc.
    I'd recommend it. The other campgrounds further north are less convenient, and not as nice overall. Everything here in the San Diego area is expensive, so be prepared. We're paying a monthly rate plus electric.
    jan