Fall Colors Are Coming

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by danel-ksc, Aug 18, 2009.

1. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

For anyone that enjoys the colorful change that Fall brings, the area around Blairsville, Hiawassee and Blue Ridge, GA is great. Each town has a TVA Lake that adds tremendously to a ride around the area. Also, Hiawassee has its Fall Festival and Helen has Octoberfest.
    Just some info and food for thought.

2. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

We live in Michigan and the fall colors are SPECTACULAR in the northern part of the state, and even better continuing on into our upper peninsula. I have come to believe that Michigan might be an under-experienced part of the country due to it not being "on the way" anywhere (have to go around the great lakes) unless you are going thru the upper peninsula to get to northern Wisconsin maybe . But if you do a fall trip to Michigan, you will be amazed by the fall colors--don't miss the Leelanau Peninsula, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and all our wonderful little lakeside towns up north as well. I have heard from an experienced snowmobiler (who was not from Michigan) that it is THE best snowmobiling in the country as well. The snowmobiles easily outnumber the cars up north in the winter, and even have their own side roads with signage.

I don't work in the tourism industry, just happen to love my state!!

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

One more nice plan we use is called the leaf run. We go a little east of Lancaster, PA and wait. Soon the leafs with change and we start south. This way we see change over as we slowly move south. Not a bad way to spend your time. Also a big plus is the food from the Amish people. ;)

4. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

ok people. lets not rush the end of summer. :angry: :lol:
    my seasonal is in the lower catskill mountains in ny. sometimes the mountains look like they're on fire when the leaves turn. it is quite a site.
    john, sound to me like you have had some prior planning. getting close to retirement. would like to check that out.
    nicki, the owner of our campground has a few friends that own campgrounds up there. they are open for the winter for the snowmobile people. he has been trying to get us up there for a few years now. not just for the winter, for summer vacations also. retirement is coming.

5. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes to go and look at the Fall colors. I think it's absolutely beautiful.

I live in an area surrounded by "hills" and it is so neat in the Fall to watch the progression of the trees changing in color.

Skyline Drive is a nice drive to go take a peep at the leaves.

But one of my favorite spots is Gettysburg at the height of their color to just stand anywhere on the battlefield and look over the fields to the mountains is absolutely breathtaking.

Nicki, I would agree with you Michigan is a beautiful state. Some of my fondest memories of camping as a child took place in Michigan when we'd go to visit relatives there and embark on some camping trips...loved the Mackinaw Bridge area, especially Wilderness State Park. And, I got my first taste of snowmobiling across a frozen lake in Michigan and an experience I have never forgotten.

6. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Well, I go up and look at the leave all the time but then again I just have to walk out the front door or look out the window., I live a couple miles from the entrance of the SKyline drive. I will take the BOrnfree up there on the weekend or take a day off and run the road and find my favorite overlook and pull in and spend time looking and watching for hours. Of course I have 8 hours or more then I can either spend the night or go home.

7. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

Just keep adding viewing sites! Although there are only 5 or 6 Posts there have been over 70 views most likely from fellow RVers interested in Mother Natures colorful splendor.
    If you get the chance, start your Pennsylvania Fall tour from the top of the Pocono Mts.Don't want to be too prejudicial but my home state does put on a colorful display from the mountains to the rolling hills!

8. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(danel-ksc @ Aug 20 2009, 06:04 PM) [snapback]18499[/snapback]

Just keep adding viewing sites! Although there are only 5 or 6 Posts there have been over 70 views most likely from fellow RVers interested in Mother Natures colorful splendor.
    If you get the chance, start your Pennsylvania Fall tour from the top of the Pocono Mts.Don't want to be too prejudicial but my home state does put on a colorful display from the mountains to the rolling hills!

I agree with you danel-ksc. I'm originally from New York City but now I live in Maryland and we spend most of our time camping in Pennsylvania. We're heading out this weekend. I doubt if there will be a lot of color to see this early but we plan on camping again in October. I am extremely impressed with the amount of campgrounds in Penn! :blink: Maryland seem to only have a handful of campgrounds. Another thing I was surprised about was the immense size of Penn! When you look on the map things seem fairly close to one another but then you try to drive to somewhere and you feel as if you've been driving forever!

9. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

Coachcps,
    PA is my home State and I'm proud of it, but, I love the Eastern Shore, from the Northeast to Sassafras, to Tolchester and on down the line! I spent a LOT of time on the Bay and still really miss it!

10. deanintemp

deanintemp
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nicki @ Aug 19 2009, 08:09 AM) [snapback]18439[/snapback]

We live in Michigan and the fall colors are SPECTACULAR in the northern part of the state, and even better continuing on into our upper peninsula. I have come to believe that Michigan might be an under-experienced part of the country due to it not being "on the way" anywhere (have to go around the great lakes) unless you are going thru the upper peninsula to get to northern Wisconsin maybe . But if you do a fall trip to Michigan, you will be amazed by the fall colors--don't miss the Leelanau Peninsula, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and all our wonderful little lakeside towns up north as well. I have heard from an experienced snowmobiler (who was not from Michigan) that it is THE best snowmobiling in the country as well. The snowmobiles easily outnumber the cars up north in the winter, and even have their own side roads with signage.

I don't work in the tourism industry, just happen to love my state!!

Shhh, as a mutual Wolverine I would like to keep this paradise a secret as long as we can...lol

11. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

Colorado Mountains and the aspens. Northern mountains are in full or slightly past peak. Southwest or 4 corners area just starting.

12. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

In Connecticut, a lot of the state parks are great to visit for fall colors. Gillete Castle state park can be gorgeous. All depends on the weather. I have heard that, supposedly, this will be a very good year for color due to the very, very cool and wet spring and summer.

13. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

Tom,
    If you get off of I93 and go thru Laconia and the White Mountains in New Hampshire you'll also see some beautiful scenery this year.