Fall Foliage tour

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Cheryl Fuller, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone ever done a fall foliage trip in their rig. Of course, it is too late for us to put it together for this year, it is something I was thinking of doing next fall. Was just wondering where is the best place to go and what is the best route.

2. ebdavis

ebdavis
    Expand Collapse

We're certainly not experts, but we did the North East last year, through New York State's Adirondack Mountains, Vermont's Stowe, New Hampshire and Main (Portland) and ending back in Lake Placid. Mid October was absolutely stunning, but you should check the websites for up to date predictions on when the leaves will be at their best. We've just returtned from Old Forge, NY, and the leaves haven't really started yet.

3. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Thanks - what websites can I go to for that info. My in-laws flew to Vermont yesterday and then are going to rent a car and drive form there up to Mass. so I am going to check with them when they get home and see how the colors were. In the high country here in Colorado, the aspens change to gold, but we don't get the beautiful reds and oranges which I love.

4. Lance-a-Lot

Lance-a-Lot
    Expand Collapse

5. Lance-a-Lot

Lance-a-Lot
    Expand Collapse

6. Lance-a-Lot

Lance-a-Lot
    Expand Collapse

7. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Lance - thanks a bunch for all the info. I am sure I will be able to find what I am looking for on the sites you gave me. I have found that you can get just about any information you need from all the friendly people here.

8. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

We live in Southern Ontario, so just a bit south west of Vermont, Maine, etc. - our colours are just beginning to turn now, which is later in the season than normal. I expect within a few weeks the colours will be beautiful.

9. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

We were in Canada 2 weeks ago. On the drive from Calgary up to Banff, we did see some changing leaves. Actually did get to see some of the beautiful reds. I imagine when it is in full swing, it is quite beautiful.

10. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

Hi Cheryl,

How was your Alberta/BC trip? It's gorgeous country, isn't it?

Re the fall colours, the further north you go the more beautiful the scenery, however, in southern Ontario it's still pretty spectacular - especially the Maple trees. IF we are lucky enough to get an early snowfall (yes, I said "lucky to get snow" - my family loves the snowy winters!) the snow looks stunning on the trees that still have their leaves. I have a picture from about 13 years ago when it snowed in mid October (pretty unusual) and the trees in the neighbourhood still had leaves - it's one of my favorite pictures (we had just returned home from a trip to Florida the night before - the temp change was a bit drastic!).

One of the most popular spots for viewing fall colours in Ontario is an area called "Agawa Canyon". They have one day train tours that I've heard are beautiful. Their website is www.agawacanyontourtrain.com - click on "agawa canyon tour train" and it will give you more info. It suggests the best time for fall colour is the last 2 weeks in September and 1st week in October.

I would imagine you'd be best to start in the north and then drive south, as you'd be assured of continuing colour all the way down since the leaves fall sooner in the north than in the south!

The Agawa Canyon would be about an 8 hour drive from Toronto, Ontario or Detroit, Michigan.

Have fun planning your trip. Isn't this site great for that!

11. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Campinggirl, thanks for all the great info. I wil definitely check out that website. Okay, I do question that "lucky enough to get snow"...I hate winter. I love in Colorado and today it was 82 degrees and we are supposed to get our first snow of the season tomorrow night with a high on Monday of 38. I am a transplanted Texan and do not like cold or snow. I would love to live in Florida except for the hurricanes!!!

12. Allen Gayken

Allen Gayken
    Expand Collapse

We manage the Icicle River RV Park in Leavenworth, Wa and the fall with it's color is beautiful here. The town is a German/Bavarian theme town (very well done) and is a very popular mountain area with rivers, hiking, fishing, bicycling, kyaking and of course shopping. The mountain peaks are 5-6 thousand feet and breathtaking. I'd recommend you include this on your route some time.... spring summer or fall. We're closed in the winter and off to Palm Springs.
    Allen and Virginia
    Full timers 4 years and counting :D

13. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Allan, what part of the state is Leavenworth in? We went to Seattle last year and I loved it and would like to return sometime. That was before we bought our motorhomeso haven't traveled there in it yet. It is snowing here in Denver now and has been since last night so I am ready to go somewhere - anywhere that isn't white right now. My Texas roots are crying out for warmth right now...

14. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl: Leavenworth is not far from Wenatchee and Chelan in Washington State. We were there last year and found it to be a delightful experience with beautiful scenery and excellent German food. We loved the Icicle River RV Resort in Leavenworth and will definitely be going back.

15. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Beastdriver, thanks for the info. I will definitely check out the rv park you mentioned as I trust your judgement. I am hoping to get hubby to go back up to Washington next spring or summer and Leavenworth sounds like a great little town. Haven't seen much from you lately, thought maybe you were off on some wonderful trip.

16. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl: Just got back from seven months on the road. We'll be leaving again in about two weeks for another month, this time for the Blue Ridge Parkway before it gets snowed in!

17. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl, Speaking of "snowed-in" how are you managing? I heard Colorado got the snow you said was forecast - have you convinced hubby to take you away? I assume it's not cold enough for the snow to stay, is it? Even I would agree it's too early! My birthday is in early November and I always wish for snow for my birthday. Last year was my 40th and the eve of my birthday we got dumped on! I was probably one of the few people in the city happy to have the snow.

18. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Campingirl, well we did get dumped on - in fact they had to close the highway all the way from Denver to Kansas which is about 200 miles. Today it is in the 50's and everything is melting and is supposed to be in the 70's by the weekend. Hubby taking me again anytime soon is just wishful thinking - at least for now - he is too busy at the office. In the spring we will be taking our annual caribbean cruise so guess my travel plans are on hold until then. He just winterized the rv 2 days ago, so I know it is isn't going anywhere until springtime. You weren't praying for snow over the past weekend and just forgot to specifiy a location, were you???

19. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Beastdriver - I didn't realize that you were full-timers. I am looking forward to the time when we can come and go as we please. I have already retired but hubby is still working. Hopefully he will be able to do so in 4 yrs. when he turns 50 and we can hit the road. Enjoy your upcoming trip.

20. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Oct 11 2005, 01:14 PM)
    Cheryl: Just got back from seven months on the road. We'll be leaving again in about two weeks for another month, this time for the Blue Ridge Parkway before it gets snowed in!
    [snapback]2792[/snapback]

I'm envious! You'll be on the BRP just at about at the peak of fall folliage! Enjoy!

My favorite fall folliage excursions have been anywhere in the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains....Route 6 in PA and the Lancaster/Gettysburg area of PA...the latter not only for the beautiful colored folliage, but for all the apples and pumpkins and such!