Family Friendly In Central Fl?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by kemdignam, Aug 29, 2008.

1. kemdignam

kemdignam
    Expand Collapse

I just got a new Class A motorhome and I was looking for some family friendly RV resorts in the Central Florida area. We plan on going to Disney World a bunch, but I was looking for a little variety.

I have heard that River Ranch RV resort is nice as well as Ft. DeSoto.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Karen

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Both are nice, but different. You might want to joint Passport America half price campgrounds. Here icentralral Florida, we have many many choices. My favorite place is North Florida called Katherine Hanna Park. Use the internet to find what you wish. You will find space available and easy to get all year except Jan and Feb. Might be different this year with gas prices. You can find great spots with very little actual traveling here in Cnetral Florida

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Karen,

Yes, FL is full of very nice places to go. River Ranch and Fort De Soto are great. Pull up FL and look at all the cities or towns that have parks. You could spend years here in state and never see all the places we have. The state parks are very good as well. Lots of class A only parks from Ft. Myers down to Naples as well.

Have fun!!

4. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I would just second what others have said. I like Ft Desoto a lot, but it is not near Disney. The price there has gone up over $30 a night w/no sewer. I also like Jetty Park over at Port Canaveral. There are several nice state parks around Ocala. You can't beat Ft Wilderness and if you are a Fla resident you can get there as cheap as $41 a night during low season-- a real bargain if you also have a yearly pass. Not to mention there is a camping world, not 5 miles from the park to get those "must have" items

5. Fort Myers RVer

Fort Myers RVer
    Expand Collapse

Depending on what kind of activities you want, Peace River Campground in Arcadia is a great destination for ATV, Golf Cart, Fishing, and Fossill Hunting in the Peace River. It's a large campground located on the Peace River with lots of fun activities for families. We frequently stay there as it's close by and allows us to "get away" from Fort Myers for awhile.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Karen,

If you like CORE parks look at Ortona and W P Franklin off Hwy 80 out of Fort Myers. Great places to spend some time on the river and locks. Roads and sites are very good with 50 amps and water. Golden Age Passport with get you in for half price. At one time price on card was $4.00 per night in summer months only, what a good deal.

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi John,

The golden age pass is now a seniors pass. Have a look here (and scroll to bottom):

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

Regardless Core parks are wonderful places imho.

QUOTE(John Blue @ Sep 6 2008, 09:01 AM) [snapback]13093[/snapback]

Karen,

If you like CORE parks look at Ortona and W P Franklin off Hwy 80 out of Fort Myers. Great places to spend some time on the river and locks. Roads and sites are very good with 50 amps and water. Golden Age Passport with get you in for half price. At one time price on card was $4.00 per night in summer months only, what a good deal.

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

pianotuna,

Yes, I know but I have the old one yet. They look at my card and hand it back. At some point in time someone will change my old card out for the new one (seniors pass). Same price to me. :p