Fellow Pet Owners - How Do You Deal With Flea Control?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by bumpkinsnana, Dec 1, 2008.

1. bumpkinsnana

bumpkinsnana
    Expand Collapse

My DH and I travel with 2 dogs and 2 cats. After 4 months travelling in Oregon, I have recently noticed one of my dogs has a mild flea issue. I am looking to control this matter before it becomes a problem inside our 31' Class C. Since we have a small living space, I try to use products that are less toxic, as I have allergy issues. Any suggestions for treating the fleas and other pests we RVers are exposed to.

Thanks,

Bumpkinsnana

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

bumpkinsnana,

I wish I could help you, but our cat (used to have 3, 1 now) that travels with us never goes outdoors, even at our house. None of our cats have had fleas except when we first got them because they were all strays that we took in. When we began RVing I was afraid we would get fleas/ticks from places we stayed. Even though the pets never went outside, I was concerned the unwanted visitors would come in on our clothing and then get on the animals. Fortunately that hasn't happened so far. The only thing we have had are those little gnats that fly around the litter box. For that I just hang a "pest strip" near the box and that takes care of it. I'm not sure that would work for fleas, so you might try one of those flea medications that you put on the animal's neck. Or would that be too strong for your allergies? Maybe a veterinarian could make suggestions.

3. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

In the detergent aisle, get some 20 Mule Team Borax (they haven't changed their label in about 100 years). Sprinkle it around then sweep it up. They can't stand the boric acid in it.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

We have 4 dogs, 2 large and 2 small, and have not had a problem with fleas since I started using Sentinel Flavor Tabs several years ago. They prevent fleas as well as heartworms. You give one pill per month on the same day each month. It does require a vet's prescription - even from petmeds.com.

5. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(bumpkinsnana @ Dec 1 2008, 06:45 AM) [snapback]14248[/snapback]

My DH and I travel with 2 dogs and 2 cats. After 4 months travelling in Oregon, I have recently noticed one of my dogs has a mild flea issue. I am looking to control this matter before it becomes a problem inside our 31' Class C. Since we have a small living space, I try to use products that are less toxic, as I have allergy issues. Any suggestions for treating the fleas and other pests we RVers are exposed to.

Thanks,

Bumpkinsnana

As you are already aware, there is no such thing as a mild flea problem. You need to do (at least) two things: first, rid the environment (your RV) of fleas, and then two, rid your dog of them. I recommend that you "bomb" your RV with a good commercial grade fogger you can buy in any grocery store. The problem with this is twofold. You mentioned you have allergies and this may be impractical in that case. The other difficult part is that you will have to vacate the RV for a couple of hours and then air it out really well. To rid your dog of fleas, there are a number of ways including removing them - and most especially the flea eggs - by hand (hand picking or soap) or chemicals. Many people don't like chemicals but I always had success with them (we bred, raised and showed Shelties for 20 years). Once you rid the dog of fleas, Sentintel might be a good thing to consider. If you can't fog the RV, call a pest exterminator and have them do it after telling them of your allergies.

This will not be an easy problem to overcome if the flea eggs are already in place. If your dog only has some random fleas that jumper on board at some time, it will be easier. Good luck!

6. catman2130093

catman2130093
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(bumpkinsnana @ Dec 1 2008, 07:45 AM) [snapback]14248[/snapback]

Thanks,

Bumpkinsnana

I have two cats and I use "Revolution" flea,tick, and heartworm treatment. I have tried the off the shelf stuff (waste of $)-I used to use "Program" for fleas and "HeartGard" for heart worms. It's all expensive sadly, but the "Revolution" is easy to apply (drops on the neck) and it includes the heartworm/tick stuff too. I tworks out to cost virtually the same as the "Program" supplemented with "HeartGard". I've used Revolution exclusively for the last 10 years, no fleas, no problems. Good luck with whatever you decide..

7. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We have been fulltiming for 6 years with cats. We presently have two that go out on a leash. We used to use Frontline and this year we are using Hartz flea collars with good results. In October we wee in Arkansas where we know there were fleas and no problem. Good luck in your travels.

8. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(bumpkinsnana @ Dec 1 2008, 07:45 AM) [snapback]14248[/snapback]

Thanks,

Bumpkinsnana

With 2 dogs and 2 cats in a 32 foot class C and Allergies?

I wonder how you breathe and survive from all the animal dander in your coaches atmosphere. My wife is allergic to animal dander and she cannot go anyplace near where animals have been, or be around people that harbor so much pet love in their coaches. It is a fact of life we are forced to accept.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

It is a fact of life we are forced to accept.

This sounds as if you would like to have a pet but can't. If so, try taking your wife to a yorkie breeder's or a yorkie/poo. They don't shed (no dander) and are considered to be "hypo-allergenic" by most people. You could have her "visit" with the dogs to see how she reacts before thinking about purchasing one. If you really don't want a pet, then just disregard this post. No hard feeling either way.

10. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Jan 6 2009, 08:29 PM) [snapback]14754[/snapback]

This sounds as if you would like to have a pet but can't. If so, try taking your wife to a yorkie breeder's or a Yorkie/poo. They don't shed (no dander) and are considered to be "hypo-allergenic" by most people. You could have her "visit" with the dogs to see how she reacts before thinking about purchasing one. If you really don't want a pet, then just disregard this post. No hard feeling either way.

Cheryl
    We are told it is not the dog hair, but the skin the animal sheds is the medical problem and is what attacks the lung tissue. When she is near a person or their pet, they have this on their clothes which causes the release of histamines, causing the fluid buildup in the lungs. People that have this condition actually feel as if they are drowning. Since most animals groom themselves with their tongue, if she is licked by a animal, she develops a hive where the tongue touched her skin from the dander the animal gets on its tongue. Motels are a real concern, and most pet owners are oblivious to the medical problem for some folks that their loved one creates.

My cousin has a Yorkie, and same effect. Wife cannot be around their pet.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

It was just a thought. My son has asthma and it is aggravated by his allergies. However, the yorkie/poos do not bother him. I have one at my house and he has one at his apartment at college. Just goes to show how different allergies can be.
    You could get one of those FurReal pets. The one called Bisquit is very "lifelike". :lol:

12. 2Doodles

2Doodles
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Dec 1 2008, 05:22 PM) [snapback]14261[/snapback]

In the detergent aisle, get some 20 Mule Team Borax (they haven't changed their label in about 100 years). Sprinkle it around then sweep it up. They can't stand the boric acid in it.

Someone else just told me about this Borax trick today to freshen my carpets and said it'll kill flea eggs in the carpet. I have my two bigs dogs on K9 Advantix year round- no problems...but I still have that doggy smell and wanted to freshen up my carpets. Good luck.

13. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I do use borax for other things, but if I use it on my RV, will keep fleas out? I will be in Kentucky this summer for two months, and I'm concerned about fleas. My cat, 11 years old, has never had to take flea or heartworm medication, it's not much of an issue where I live.

If I keep kitty indoors, should I still worry? TexasRVers says she hasn't had a problem, but I'm still worried. I will probably check in with a vet when I get to Kentucky.

JJ

14. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

JJ,
    What part of Kentucky will you be in?

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

JJ,

You are right. At one time or another we have had 3, 2, or 1 cat(s) with us for the past 9 years of RVing. Not one flea ever and we have never used any of the flea control products. Course I know that in some parts of the country at certain times of the year there can be lots of fleas. We have just been lucky.

16. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl, I'm going to Jamestown, will be volunteering with US Fish and Wildlife. My "time" will be July 4 - Labor Day. I've been to Kentucky before, I LOVE Kentucky! When I worked full time, I spent 3 months in Breckenridge in the 90's with US Dept of Agriculture auditing a few farmers, and in the 1980's, I spent two weeks in Lexington at one of the Army Depots when I was with Department of Defense.

During my "days off" I am hoping to sneak up to Lexington, I LOVE Lexington. I just love that "Transylvania" look that all the buildings have there....

JJ

17. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

JJ
    My Dad's family reunion is in Kentucky every July (mid-month). We always stay at Cave Run Lake. It's near Morehead.

18. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

HOpe I can run into you on a day off, Cheryl!

I'm looking forward to this assignment!

JJ

19. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

It would be nice to meet you, but unfortunately we will only be there for 3 days.