Fiberglass Versus Metal

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Apr 13, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

My Forest River Sunseeker 2860 (that I'm about to trade in for the model 3120) was white fiberglass exterior. Ok...., didn't mind it, but didn't notice anything extraordinary about it. Except the dealer had no problem wiping out a long scratch I put on it when I went over the Hood River Bridge in Oregon and hugged the bridge side too close when another truck came the other way.....

Now, the 3120 model I am going to pick up this week (also a Forest River Sunseeker) has a metal painted exterior.

Are there advantages and disadvantages to fiberglass versus metal? My RV dealer claims that the metal painted exterior is a "special Pacific Northwest" thingie that Forest River came up with. All I can think of is..... fiberglass wouldn't rust like metal would.... but why would Forest River want to make metal the "special pacific northwest" thingie?

JJ

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

DXSMac,

This is called more money. Here in FL I guess we need one called Palm Tree paint. They make paint for cars, airplanes, ships, Army tanks, and other items but not "special pacific northwest" paint. Sales people will tell you anything to make you happy. :p

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Apr 14 2008, 07:31 AM) [snapback]11169[/snapback]

DXSMac,

This is called more money. Here in FL I guess we need one called Palm Tree paint. They make paint for cars, airplanes, ships, Army tanks, and other items but not "special pacific northwest" paint. Sales people will tell you anything to make you happy. :p

That's what I thought. Practically every Sunseeker I ever saw had fiberglass exteriors. Now, I'm getting a metal one. I'm still thinking that in a humid environment such as Western Washington, fiberglass is better because it doesn't rust. (Eastern Washington is very dry, but people who don't live in WA think all of Washington is like Western Washington.....)

JJ

4. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Apr 13 2008, 01:43 PM) [snapback]11144[/snapback]

My RV dealer claims that the metal painted exterior is a "special Pacific Northwest" thingie that Forest River came up with.

Maybe under the paint is the name of Laura Palmer's killer :D

Only two more days til you pick up the new one - enjoy!

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

My RV is covered with a product known as "Filon". Does anyone know what paint would work on it and eternabond too? Thanks!

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Got my new RV! Found out I still have Fiberglass. I guess I had assumed that since it's painted in WILD RV COLORS, it was metal. The Sunseekers (Forest River) are usually white fiberglass. The reason mine is painted in WILD RV COLORS is because Forest River's "Brochure" at the dealer's indicates "We listened to our customers and came up with a special Pacific Northwest Package...." Like someone else said earlier, "Translation: Dealer can charge more!!!"

I've got automatic leveling jacks on this one. Trouble is, the controls for it were installed right between the front seats, that's the place I usually stuck the cat litter box! My poor kitty is going to be discombobulated. The cat tree I was using in the last model won't work in this model, so another issue for the cat!

JJ

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Yea, you finally got it. That's great. I think you will love all the new features that your other one didn't have, and I'm sure Kitty will adjust just fine. Our three cats (at the time we switched RV's) found their new favorite places very quickly. Just get on the road now!!

BTW how's that new digital TV that your RV is built around?

8. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Congratulations JJ - may all your miles be friendly.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 25 2008, 02:04 PM) [snapback]11336[/snapback]

BTW how's that new digital TV that your RV is built around?

Checked out the TV, it's digital!!!! Don't have to fuss with any silly coupon!!!! (However, the coupon I did order came, and I purchased a box, and just gave the box up with the Model 2860 I traded in.....)

JJ