Florida-winter 2011

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Iceman567, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Iceman567

Iceman567
    Expand Collapse

New Forum member but long time Park Review user. It might seem a little early to be making plans for winter 2011. I know that many of the desirable parks fill up early, so we are making plans now (or next few months).

I have gone through city by city down the gulf using the Park Reviews by others to pick out some of the more desirable RV parks. We are looking at the months of October 1 until March 30, 2012.

Some of the RV parks we are looking at: Carabelle Beach RV Resort, Cedar Key RV Resort, Emerald Coast RV, Rock Crusher in Crystal River and possibly Quail Roost. Most of these had favorable reviews and prices monthly were reasonable.

We are parked right now in Sarasota and the monthly rates for winter 2011 are going up at least 25%, budget buster for sure. We would also be open to work camping.

Thanks for any additional help.

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Keep in mind that Rock Crusher Canyon has been taken back by the original owner. We have stayed there since the change in ownership and it is back to being a very nice place to stay. They do have work campers. We stayed their several months ago and they had 2 sites of their 400 available. If you are looking for right on the water look at the Ho Hum in the panhandle. I think they also have work campers.

3. tiredofit

tiredofit
    Expand Collapse

Carrabel and Emerald are both nice. Camping on the Gulf is busy and friendly and has nice winter guests. Windy. Top Sail is a very nice state park in Destin. Holiday Campground in Panacea is an old time place, but they are keeping it up. $400.00 plus electric this past winter. Ho-Hum has a good reputation, I just didn't care for it. Everything is gravel. It is right on the water so it is windy. It is also right on the road. Right on the road. We stayed at Rock Crusher Canyon this past winter and I really liked it, but it is a rural setting. Forget the Old Town area. All lonely and deserted. No cell service or internet, unless you use the park's wi-fi. Skip on down to the Crystal River area. A little less depressed, but still. One good thing that lasts about 30 seconds is the return of the whooping cranes to the Homosassa Wildlife Refuge in Jan. or Feb. Happens every year. Ultra light glider guiding the birds. Memorable. We also went swimming with the manatees at Crystal River in Dec. That's the height of the season for doing that sort of thing. Bucket list item. All of these places use work campers, except Holiday Campground. Family run. Either join Workamper.com or just send your resume to all of them. Email works.
    We will be retuning to the Ocala/The Villages area next winter. No water, but loved the area.

4. Iceman567

Iceman567
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for both the replies. We have signed up at 'Workamper' and have created a resume to send to prospective campground owners. I will send out e-mails and do some follow up phone calls as the time arises. We are just looking for a way to offset some of the costs given ga$ prices the way they are now and who knows by fall! Thanks for the input.

5. doubleaxlefifthwheel

doubleaxlefifthwheel
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Iceman567 @ Mar 17 2011, 11:22 AM) [snapback]25653[/snapback]

New Forum member but long time Park Review user. It might seem a little early to be making plans for winter 2011. I know that many of the desirable parks fill up early, so we are making plans now (or next few months).

I have gone through city by city down the gulf using the Park Reviews by others to pick out some of the more desirable RV parks. We are looking at the months of October 1 until March 30, 2012.

Some of the RV parks we are looking at: Carabelle Beach RV Resort, Cedar Key RV Resort, Emerald Coast RV, Rock Crusher in Crystal River and possibly Quail Roost. Most of these had favorable reviews and prices monthly were reasonable.

We are parked right now in Sarasota and the monthly rates for winter 2011 are going up at least 25%, budget buster for sure. We would also be open to work camping.

Thanks for any additional help.
    We have stayed at Rock Crusher a couple times and it is a top notch park. Close to stores and restaraunts. Staff are all friendly and very helpful.