Foam Mattress Topper

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by stanleee, Aug 21, 2006.

1. stanleee

stanleee
    Expand Collapse

I have a memory foam mattress topper and noticed something has taken small chunks out of it since its been parked at home. Does anyone know what is getting to it and how to get rid of such animal or insect?That appears to be the only thing it has gone after. I don't leave food out on the camper.

2. lagerdaddy

lagerdaddy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(stanleee @ Aug 21 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]4907[/snapback]

I have a memory foam mattress topper and noticed something has taken small chunks out of it since its been parked at home. Does anyone know what is getting to it and how to get rid of such animal or insect?That appears to be the only thing it has gone after. I don't leave food out on the camper.

In my experience, field mice love these types of materials. Apparently they use it to nest in. I've always had good luck with traps, just don't let PETA find out about it LOL ;) but there are other less graphic solutions available at the hardware stores where you find the pest control. Good luck!

3. stanleee

stanleee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(lagerdaddy @ Aug 21 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]4911[/snapback]

QUOTE(stanleee @ Aug 21 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]4907[/snapback]

In my experience, field mice love these types of materials. Apparently they use it to nest in. I've always had good luck with traps, just don't let PETA find out about it LOL ;) but there are other less graphic solutions available at the hardware stores where you find the pest control. Good luck!

Will moth balls keep them out?

4. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

You need to find out how the mice are getting in to the camper and fixed that if you can find out where they entering also mothbalss will work and I have heard to use a roll of Bounce dryers sheets. Not sure if any other brand will work I guess the mice don't like the smell. Good luck

5. stanleee

stanleee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Meterman46 @ Aug 22 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]4916[/snapback]

You need to find out how the mice are getting in to the camper and fixed that if you can find out where they entering also mothbalss will work and I have heard to use a roll of Bounce dryers sheets. Not sure if any other brand will work I guess the mice don't like the smell. Good luck

Thanks all, I will look to find that out. Happy camping

6. Crittercove

Crittercove
    Expand Collapse

It is most likely field mice, but the previous writer is correct that you need to figure out how they are getting in before they really become a serious problem. We live out in the country and field mice are a constant. I love animals and would not kill them, but I will be the first to admit, once they establish themselves, they can be very destructive. They love to chew wiring. They chew clothes. They reproduce like crazy.

Field mice can get into the tiniest of places. Anything bigger than 1/4" and they can squeeze right through.

Peppermint oil seems to repel mice to a small extent, but the bottom line is - find the holes they are getting in and seal them up. To catch the ones already in there, I recommend Hav-A-Hart live traps. I have tried every humane trap known to man and they are all a joke except the Hav-A-Harts. Don't use a generic one, use the actual HAH brand. Put a little peanut butter on the trip plate and the trap snaps shut, capturing the little one alive and well. You take him out and release him in the woods.

If you do set a live trap, be sure to check it twice a day so the mice don't die from dehydration (which occurs in less than 24 hours due to the stress).

If I sound like a rodent expert, I actually am. Hmm, not sure that's something to brag about! :D