Formaldhyde Odor In Campers

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by witherig, Jan 26, 2010.

1. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

we bought a new rockwood mini lite last august 2009.
    any suggestions on getting the formaldhyde odor out of campers .
    i have tried lemons, vinegar, charcoal,sprays nothing works.
    HELP!! can't stand the smell.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I do not think camper plants use formaldehyde now. If this is the case a lots of air may help but that stuff is hard to remove. Remember all the units our government picked up to help people who had lost everything from storm damage? Tons of the same units are in fields all over the south now and will never be used by anyone. Good luck! I would also contact the people who did the construct and see what they have to said about this problem. The carpet people use formaldehyde to made it and that will go away in time.

3. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

I agree with John Blue. Contact Forest River and see what they suggest. We have a 2009 Rockwood Superlite and had a few problems that our dealer wasn't interested in correcting. We called Forest River and they were very helpful in solving them. We ended up taking our 5'er back to the Rockwood manufacturing plant near Goshen, Indiana, and were treated with great professionalism (and they corrected the problems). I realize that you may be too far away to actually visit the plant, but FR seems very interested in keeping its customers satisfied....and, if only by phone, may be able to help.

4. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

We have purchased two new motor homes over the years. Both were purchased in warm weather in Arizona, and both had eye-stinging fumes.

A few days of open windows eliminated the smell in each case.

5. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

I would think a good airing out would help as well. At least a week.

6. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Feb 1 2010, 09:40 AM) [snapback]20816[/snapback]

I would think a good airing out would help as well. At least a week.

thanks for all the info. if it will ever warm up and quite raining in georgia so i can
    open doors and windows... ready for warm weather to go camping before we head out to yellowstone in june....

7. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

So did the ventilation help?

8. Krazy Koach

Krazy Koach
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(witherig @ Feb 2 2010, 11:02 AM) [snapback]20837[/snapback]

thanks for all the info. if it will ever warm up and quite raining in georgia so i can
    open doors and windows... ready for warm weather to go camping before we head out to yellowstone in june....

JSYK the smell is triggered off when formaldehyde gets wet when its dry no problem, those southern field trailers have not been levelled, maintained or caulked.