Garmin RV 785 is an oxymoron

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by amxpress, Dec 1, 2023.

1. amxpress

amxpress
    Expand Collapse

I've used a Garmin 465T RV GPS for a number of years with good results and decided to upgrade to a larger and newer RV GPS. I found a Garmin RV 785 that had only been used a year so I bought it. First thing I did was update to 2023 maps and newest firmware. My first trip was to the NC coast via US17 which is a 4 lane divided highway for the last 6 years. Being familiar with the highway, that's how I went. The GPS did not have the updated highway, showed me driving off road through a field. I then checked a number of RV parks they have listed seperately. I found a number that were either closed or had changed names. NOT updated. There were also a number of RV parks that were not listed but we had stayed there a few years ago.
    So, maps are not updated; RV parks are not updated; can't trust it to route me through highways that are best.
    With today's technology, there is no excuse for not having up to date data. I contacted Garmin who advised me to fill out an online form with any map or PIO correction. Right, that ain't going to happen. Anyone need a 7" GPS with bluetooth, a camera, and nice graphics? Let me know.

mdcamping and weighit like this.
  2. icanon

icanon
    Expand Collapse

Yep paying all that money for a gps and expecting to get what you paid for!
    Scary could end up getting lost or worst in a serious accident.

mdcamping likes this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Yeah I had noticed that a bunch of gas stops & RV parks on my garmin 890 were missing, most I think were the mom & pop type. ( I'm going to guess because of ownership changing frequently may have some part in this issue) Still a manageable problem to work around.

On another note heading home on the NJ TYPK, I had plugged in a stop/waypoint at a well known service station. My garmin kept trying to detour me off the highway before the stop. Being very familiar with the highway I just kept on going. As I approached the service station noticed the station was closed for renovation. This was a trip I had built months before, so maybe in this example the garmin did what it was suppose to do.

Mike