Gas Prices In Canada V. Northern Us

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bud in Florida, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I am planning a trip out west and could come home either across Canada or down through the US. Is gas cheaper or more expensive in Canada vs. the US-- on average and assuming the dollar and Canadian dollar are on a par? Thanks

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

3. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi Bud,

The short answer: Gas is more expensive in Canada.

Details:

At this moment, the US dollar and the Canadian dollar are at par, but there may be wild swings in a relatively short time. Ex: In November the Canadian dollar was 10% higher than the US dollar. Economists predict (what that may be worth I don't know) that the tendency might be a Canadian dollar above par, as your current President does not seem very gifted to manage the economy.

At present regular gas is from 0.93$ to 1.19$ a litre. Gas is sold in litres in Canada, 3.79 litres make one US gallon, so a US gallon is from 3.52$ to 4.51$.

Generally speaking, diesel is a little cheaper than regular gas most of the year in most areas, but may be a little more tha regular gas in winter

To check out current gas prices in the US and Canada, here is a link:
    http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Hope this helps.

4. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Thanks so much. I checked some of those sites but was not sure if the price was liters-- I thought so, but was not sure-- so thanks a bunch

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Another thing. Are gas prices "controlled" in Canada? I was wondering because I noticed, at least in British Columbia:

1. Each city varied by 1 or two pennies
    2. Within one city, all gas stations charged the EXACT same price.

I found the No. 2 thing to be really odd! Well, it was convenient in that you didn't have to hunt for cheap prices, but it just seemed odd....

JJ

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi DXSMac,

Fuel prices are not controlled in Canada. There are more taxes on the fuel sold here than in USA which accounts for a major part of the higher price. In Regina where I live the cheapest price for regular gas is 99.9 and the highest price is 107.9. In US gallons that's a price spread of over 25 cents. Cheapest diesel here is at Flying J (branded Shell) at 97.9 (after flying J discount) and highest price is 104.9

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Feb 13 2008, 10:03 AM) [snapback]10262[/snapback]

Another thing. Are gas prices "controlled" in Canada? I was wondering because I noticed, at least in British Columbia:

1. Each city varied by 1 or two pennies
    2. Within one city, all gas stations charged the EXACT same price.

I found the No. 2 thing to be really odd! Well, it was convenient in that you didn't have to hunt for cheap prices, but it just seemed odd....

JJ

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Feb 13 2008, 12:58 PM) [snapback]10265[/snapback]

Hi DXSMac,

Fuel prices are not controlled in Canada. There are more taxes on the fuel sold here than in USA which accounts for a major part of the higher price. In Regina where I live the cheapest price for regular gas is 99.9 and the highest price is 107.9. In US gallons that's a price spread of over 25 cents. Cheapest diesel here is at Flying J (branded Shell) at 97.9 (after flying J discount) and highest price is 104.9

Thanks! It just looked like there was some type of "control" because in Vancouver, every station charged the EXACT same price.

JJ

8. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi DXSMac,

As of Today here are some prices in Vancouver.

102.4 Chevron
    102.4 Petro Canada
    103.9 Costco
    104.4 Esso, Shell,
    and the high price is:

114.1 Shell

Prices courtesy of Gas Buddy

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Feb 13 2008, 06:28 PM) [snapback]10267[/snapback]

Hi DXSMac,

As of Today here are some prices in Vancouver.

102.4 Chevron
    102.4 Petro Canada
    103.9 Costco
    104.4 Esso, Shell,
    and the high price is:

114.1 Shell

Prices courtesy of Gas Buddy

Ok, you have shown me the light. If those prices are "liter" prices, HOLY COW, what a ripoff!

JJ

10. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Yes, they are the price per liter, which translated to US gallons means a price differential of over 45 cents between the high and low price! Definitely worth looking around for the "best price" I'd say.