Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Baby Sister, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Baby Sister

Baby Sister
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone have a suggestion on a park near Glacier National Park that they would recommend? We are planning on being there in late June thru mid July. We have a travel trailer and want full hookups.

Thanks Baby Sister

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I would highly recommend the North American RV Park in Coram, MT. This park is a short drive from the entrance to Glacier National Park, is clean, neat, and spacious, and has some of the nicest people running it that I have every met. You will love this place!

3. bigredoes

bigredoes
    Expand Collapse

I have not stayed at the park in Coram, MT but drove past it numerous times during our exploring of the area....It looked very appealing. We stayed in Kalispell MT and although the park was adequate it was too far away from everything. Strongly encourage you to stay as close to the Park Entrance as possible. Not sure of the length of your vehicle but you may wish to stay inside the park itself. Also it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if you spent some time on both sides of the park - we stayed in Glacier Meadow RV park on the east side of the park for a few days and then moved over to the west. Glacier NP is huge - also remember there are strict length restrictions on what you may drive over the "Road to the Sun". Enjoy your stay it is (so far) the most spectacular NP I have seen.

4. Baby Sister

Baby Sister
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to both of you. Last time we were in Montana we stayed in Kalispell but I, too, thought that it was too far from the Park. We may stay there again for a few days while we scope out the parks closer to Glacier. I want to take the "bus" on the Going to the Sun Road so that my husband can enjoy the scenery without having to drive. We're also thinking of spending a week or so at Eagle Nest at Flathead Lake, anyone been there?

Thanks,
    Baby Sister

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Eagle's Nest in Polson is okay but, in my opinion, the Flathead River Resort just north of Polson is far, far superior. The KOA in Polson, to put it charitably, sucks.

6. Gracie & Chloe

Gracie & Chloe
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at West Glacier KOA several times and liked it a lot. It is more in the trees and not next to the highway.

We have found the Polson KOA to be a really nice place. It is not on the lake, but is on the hillside overlooking the lake. Flathead River Park is nice too, but with the highway and the boats, it's noisier than the KOA.

7. janchuckscw

janchuckscw
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Baby Sister @ Mar 13 2007, 04:42 PM) [snapback]6502[/snapback]

Does anyone have a suggestion on a park near Glacier National Park that they would recommend? We are planning on being there in late June thru mid July. We have a travel trailer and want full hookups.

Thanks Baby Sister

Canyon RV park and CG in Hungry Horse is 8 miles from the West Entrance to Glacier NP. It has full hookups (W,S,E) but no cable tv or WI-FI. The owners are friendly and helpful.

Chuck

8. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Gracie and Chloe must have stayed at different parks than I did. I have stayed at Flathead River Park three years in a row and have never seen or heard a boat, and the park is so far from the road that I have yet to hear any road noise.The sites and roads at Flathead River RV Park are paved and the sites are about 90 feet long. The Polson KOA on the other hand had, in my opinion, unlevel, short sites and poor roads, and was quite noisy from airplanes on the runway right next door to the campground.

9. Gracie & Chloe

Gracie & Chloe
    Expand Collapse

Flathead River Park was nice, but we preferred the KOA. Flathead River Park is easier for big rigs due to the size of the sites and the streets, but when we had our TT, the KOA was not a problem to get in and out with. We enjoyed the view from the KOA along with grass at the sites. We didn't have any airport traffic when we were there, so I can't comment on that. I did hear logging trucks using their jake brakes coming on to the bridge by Flathead RV Park. And with the bigger rig, I will stay at Flathead River Park simply due to the convenience. Just like the view and all from the KOA better.