Going To Vt And Nh Next Summer

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Dr. Sus, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Dr. Sus

Dr. Sus
    Expand Collapse

We plan to take a trip to Vermont and New Hampshire next summer and want to stay in the mountains where the hiking is best. We have a 40-foot motor home. We would appreciate recommendations for campgrounds and hiking areas. We want to spend a week to 10 days in each state.

2. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

In NH the Kangamangus Highway and Mt Washington are good hiking area, as for a 40 footer, not sure where as I camped in the area with a pop up. Lost River is nice but not sure if you will fit, check them out.

3. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We have used a few of the campgrounds in NH, but also know of a couple that some friends had stayed at. Twin Tamaracks Family Camping & RV Resort, on route 104 east of Meredith, was okay but was not one that we would return to. In all honesty, I believe that the establishment was sold in the recent past two years and the short comings listed here may in fact have been corrected. The driveway area was unpaved and was on a steep incline off route 104. Dust was everywhere. Staff was not knowledgeable of the site ability to accomodate what size units, and they had their share of barking dogs. To say the least, we only stayed two days, and left. Chocorua Camping Village, at Chocorua was okay, had full hookups w/cable tv, and 50 amp service. Has numerous seasonal units, and in season I could see where this could be a problem. We were there in September 2005, and was quiet, and more or less had the place to ourselves. Would return again at this time of year. Barrington Shores Campground, on route 125 south of Rochester is a place that I would bypass. Just did not enjoy the stay in any form. Twin Mountain KOA, at Twin Mtn. on route 115 was given a good review by some friends, but personally have not been to. They were also to one in the North Conway area but the name escapes me.

Vermont Campgrounds are another story as most are older campgrounds with narrow short sites, and narrow roadways. They are also few in number.
    St. Johnsbury, "Moose River Campground" is the only one that we know a little about as a friend had used this cg, and was pleased with it. Only 30 amp service though.

4. NHIrish

NHIrish
    Expand Collapse

Hi. Might be able to help you with the NH side of things as we live in the heart of the White Mtns. Since we live here, we don't really ever camp here but ....if I were you and wanted to hike, I would recommend that you stay pretty much in the area of the map from Lincoln NH up through Franconia Notch, Crawford Notch, Pinkham Notch etc. The Kancamangus highway runs between Lincoln and Conway and is part of a "loop" through the area on Rte. 16, Rte. 2, Rte 3 and Rte. 302...great hiking trails throughout and plenty of campgrounds, although you will find the State campgrounds very sparse and lacking services....although big on natural beauty.

Hiking trails are really too numerous to mention, but try googling "NH hikes" and you will get a bunch of good hits.

With regard to campgrounds, and right about in the heart of the white mountains where I live is the Glen Ellis Family Campground....a real nice place with all the ammenities you could want including proximity to groceries etc. Within 30 minutes in every direction you have more hiking than you could do in a year, as well as a host of dining and shopping opportunities in the town of North Conway.

www.glenelliscampground.com

Any questions just ask...but you won't go wrong with the above IF you can still get in!

Also, up towards VT there is a campground you might want to check www.Mascomalake.com...seems to get good reviews.

5. Gala62

Gala62
    Expand Collapse

One CG that we liked was Sugar Ridge in Danville, VT
    http://www.sugarridgervpark.com/
    We were in a popup, so not too aware of the amenities for bigger rigs. Beautiful setting, nice campstore with crafts also. LOTS to do for kids, but they never seemed out of control. Also, you would be very close to the Northeast Kingdom part of the state which is the wildest and most remote.

In that area also is Lakeside Camping in Island Pond, VT
    http://www.lakesidecamping.com/
    Gorgeous setting, a bit more rustic but I saw plenty of big rigs in parts of the CG. Not as many planned things to do, but in this lovely setting who needs them! One thing I do remember is that the roads need to be regraded and smoothed - bumpy! There is also a train track close by but I really don't remember very many going through.

Have fun, we can't wait to get back to that part of the country!
    Gail

6. ctreichel

ctreichel
    Expand Collapse

NH- Wht mnts area has a lot to do, especially hiking, kayaking. It is beautiful. We are from Colorado originally and it reminded us of home, except more rivers, lakes, water! Franconia notch is a pretty place to hike and the kangamangus highway. We stayed in Goose Hollow CG, it should be able to accomodate a 40' rig. We had our camping group (NAFCA) there with over 150 rigs of all sizes and they had no problem with anyone. Well kept family CG, pool, river frontage, nice shaded spots. check it out!

7. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

There is great hiking in the Presidential Range (around Mt. Washington). It goes from leisurely 45 min. hikes to strenuous day hikes on to multi-day hut-to-hut hikes with the AMC huts. (better reserve if you want to use them) My favorite 45 min. hike, just to break the drive coming from Quebec, is from the Crawford Notch to a rock-ledge overlooking the south-eastern approach to the notch. On a beautiful clear day it is a spectacular view for very little effort. You can clearly see the glacier carved U-shape of the valley. For a strenuous day hike try the one more or less parallel to the Mt. Washington railroad.
    As for camping, we like to use Saco River Campground in North-Conway. It is just a regular, quiet campground that could use a little upgrading, but you are in easy walking distance from shopping and restaurants. There is lots of outlet shopping in the area, and as you like hiking, you might be interested to know that a 5 min. walk from the front end of the campground will bring you to a LL Bean factory outlet. Also, New Hampshire has no sales tax.
    For info on Saco River Campground you can check out the listings, they are fairly accurate