Grand Canyon Rim To Rim Hike

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by campingandtravels.blogspot.com, Mar 8, 2009.

1. campingandtravels.blogspot.com

Hi,

My husband & I are good hikers and are entertaining hiking the Grand Canyon rim to rim. We think we'll plan to do this next year, 2010, but know we need to make plans now. Does anyone know of a good website or blog of people who have done this?

Thanks & Happy Travels!
    Suzanne
    www.campingandtravels.com

2. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

You can do a search on google. Put in rim to rim Grand Canyon. Gets lots of info.

3. Murfdogg87

Murfdogg87
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I haven't hiked the trail but have plans to do so in June this year. Here are two things of importance:
    1. Since the hike is more than 20 miles long you will likely need to spend at least one night in a campground. Accordingly you will need to apply for a Backcountry Permit from the National Park Service at the Grand Canyon NP to reserve a space or spaces in a campground or campgrounds. My trip will take three days and I have reserved one night each at 2 campgrounds. There is high demand for the permits and must be requested 4 or 5 months in advance by fax. Read carefully the information on the park's website. I faxed my request within 15 minutes after midnight (Arizona time) of the first day allowed and still did not get my first choice of dates.
    2. The road to the north rim is not open all year. From what I've read it is only open between mid-May and September/October.

Good luck to you!