Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by TitaniumRon, Feb 19, 2009.

1. TitaniumRon

TitaniumRon
    Expand Collapse

Hello All,

I've started my research for camping in/around the Grand Canyon in 2010 (ok I'm REAL early) however I'm having a hard time find a decent cg. My rig is 37' which limits my choices within the park. My biggest requirement is to not be crammed in like a sardine. Other than that it would be nice to have full h/u. It seems the "wide open west" really isn't that. At this point I've even considered what they call "dispersed" camping in the Kaibab Forest. If it helps, a cg like Cherry Creek SP, Denver or Grizzly, Yellowstone would be perfect.

2. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Trailer Village in the park itself (south rim) is pretty good. We were not able to get in there last year because it was fully booked in May, but we drove and walked through to check it out for future years. The sites are not all crammed together and it is partially wooded. The best thing, however, is its proximity to the rim itself. It's an easy walk to many of the popular viewpoints and also on the free shuttle route. I would recommend reservations well in advance if you decide to stay there.

3. TitaniumRon

TitaniumRon
    Expand Collapse

Trailer Village??? Yes, it's location to the rim is a big plus considering the drive to other campgrounds. However, there seems to be mixed reviews (here). Anything from "dump" to "improving". I would hate to drive 28 hrs (MI) to stay at a "dump".

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

TitaniumRon,
    It appears as though the reviews you refer to (calling it a dump, etc) are not for the campground inside of the park, but for a campground called Camper Village. I believe it is south of the Canyon. I tried to verify this, but the link is not working. However, if you click on the "View on Map" button, it does show it south of the park.
    We stayed at the campground inside of the park, but it was back in 1996. Hopefully, you'll get some responses from others that have stayed more recently.

5. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl is right. Camper Village is a private park just south of the southern entrance to the park on Highway 64. On the other hand , Trailer Village is in the park within walking distance of the rim and many facilities. The reviews here are generally positive. It is run by a consessionaire and you access their website from the review page. It is probably no Grizzly (outside Yellowstone), but sounds better than most campgrounds in national parks. From the reviews, it seems like you are not giving things like full hook-ups, access to services and food, etc. if you stay at Trailer Village. Unless all you plan on doing is staying one night and looking at the "hole", no other RV park in the area can be more convenient for visiting GCNP.

6. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Trailer Village April of '07. Full hook ups. Have a HDT. A 25 ft semi truck and we pull a 35 ft trailer. There are a few tight turns, but made it in and out without hitting anything. We were in site #E-27. Pull thru. Very unlevel side to side, but had enough boards to get the job done. No cell phone service there.

Stayed there almost a week. Beautiful area, free shuttle bus, went on lots of hikes. Went to lots of ranger talks. To us it was worth staying at Trailer Village.

7. campingandtravels.blogspot.com

Hi,
    We're staying at the RV Trailer village next month (March). Would prefer to stay at the NPS campground, but given the possible cold weather, we thought full hook-ups would be nice. Cost is $30/night. Will write our review here, or you can check the review as well when we post on our website (linked below). Check back.

Happy Travels!
    Suzanne
    www.campingandtravels.com

8. TitaniumRon

TitaniumRon
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for your replies. I guess one "village" is not necessarily the same as another :).

-Ron

9. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

The G C is a great place to visit. I'm sure you will enjoy. We stayed in the Village last September. Had this RV Park not been so well located near many of the vistas we would have been pretty disappointed. We went for a number of walks through the site and noted that there were very few level sites. We saw rigs that had self levelers using planks etc to help get level. Picnic tables were concreted into place and few were strategically placed. Not many shade trees around. It is old and in need of an upgrade. If you load Google Earth the coordinates are latitude 36° 3'13.52"N longditude 112° 6'47.27"W. Still, because it is where it is, we were happy to be there.

FYI. Book well in advance for any extras you may want to take in. Helicopter tours, Burro ride down into the canyon, Raft trips etc were all booked up when we were there. (We visited on a whim.) Also, there is no fuel available in the Village. There is fuel available at the East Rim View Point and south in the little town just outside of the National Park Entrance.

On your way the the G C don't miss out seeing Mesa Verde (great RV Park near the ruins), Monument Valley (didn't overnight there), and Arches National Park (lots of nice RV Parks in Moab Utah).

Darrell

10. TitaniumRon

TitaniumRon
    Expand Collapse

Wow! Great info Darrell. Thanks.