Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by easyrider65_01, Mar 31, 2006.

1. easyrider65_01

easyrider65_01
    Expand Collapse

I am heading to the grand canyon for a weekend in May and I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions about where would be a good place to stay. I have stayed in Williams before (Railside RV ranch) and had a good stay, but I would like to go someplace that had more ambience and maybe one or two trees. Any input is greatly appreciated. :huh:

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I would recommend J&H RV Park in Flagtstaff. You will find the owner eccentric and with a wierd sense of humor but, all in all, a neat guy. You will also find a very well-kept park and a convenient location.

3. Doug and Cassi

Doug and Cassi
    Expand Collapse

There is a campground inside the park on the south rim. Hookups, not real spacey but close to the canyon, shuttles, etc., etc.

There are a lot of stickers (burrs) for dogs to bring inside the motorhome though.

4. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Easyrider:

We are currently staying at the Railside RV Ranch in Williams and it is okay, but the red mud will drive you crazy. In riding around Williams today, I observe that the new Grand Canyon Railway RV Park is just about ready and is, in fact, open. It has full hookups, a restaurant, a pet resort, and other amenities and, best of all, IT HAS PAVED SITES WITH NO RED MUD as do the other parks. The sites are long, they have pull throughs, the sites are wide, they have wi-fi and satellite tv, etc. I earlier recommend J&H RV Park in Flagstaff but I would pick this one over any other place in Williams or Flagstaff in a heartbeat! Their phone number is 928-635-4010.

5. eDecorating

eDecorating
    Expand Collapse

We recently went to the GC over spring break and stayed at the KOA North Williams. There isn't a lot of ambiance anywhere that we found, in any nearby CG. But we were also there during the Northern AZ snow storm last month!!

I would have to agree with the Flagstaff recommendation. It's much prettier there, although the drive to the GC would be much longer than from Williams.

Sorry, not much help other than to say your not going to get much ambiance from any CG in that area. The KOA directly off of I-40 appeared much nicer and scenic than any other CG we saw.

Good luck!!
    Pic from our vacation at the North Williams AZ KOA attached.... Not much to see!

6. easyrider65_01

easyrider65_01
    Expand Collapse

I already suffered with the red mud last february, in fact, my water hose still has red stains on it! it is a shame because I liked that park and the people were very nice, but I do not want to go back BECAUSE of the red mud. It was very frustrating. Thanks for the recommendation, I will look The Canyon Railway park. Thanks for all the input. You would think that a tourist destination like the grand canyon would be loaded with gorgeous, scenic campgrounds. Oh well, thanks again for the input. Happy Camping! :D

7. barry.peterson

barry.peterson
    Expand Collapse

We had planned to stay at some (name unremembered) park in Flagstaff but when we got there we weren't impressed. We stayed two nights at a fairly nice KOA campground.
    A suggestion: Go to the Lowell Observatory, it's great. We went during the day and got the tour and then I went beck that night to look through the telescopes and heard a great lecture. (Given by, I assume, a University student) I talked to one guy about what kind of telescope I should buy; it's still on my list. :D