Grand Teton Stay

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by snorebel, Jul 18, 2009.

1. snorebel

snorebel
    Expand Collapse

can anyone help me out with 3/n stay 35ft fifth wheel. colter bay rv park or colter bay campground can get by without hook ups but prefer then on to Hill City SD any campground recomondations

2. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

The Colter Bay RV Park and the CB Campground are really very similar. In fact, they are side-by-side. The only major difference is that one has water and electricity on site....and the other does not. Both have good access to Lake Jackson, which is beautiful. Some of the sites in the RV Park have views of the lake through the trees, which I don't think is true of the campground (although one of the major campground loops was closed when we were there in June). There is a trail from the campground down to the lake, however, and it is an easy walk. The other major difference is the price, with the RV Park far more expensive. Both parks are in easy walking distance of the village.

3. MMLM

MMLM
    Expand Collapse

While in the Hill City SD area last August we stayed at the Mt Rushmore KOA for 2 nights. It's less than 10 mi from Mt Rushmore. Site was the last available, right across from the bathrooms. These were the cleanest restrooms I have ever seen in an RV park. No ambience whatsoever at many of the pull through sites though. There is a shuttle to Mt Rushmore. The resort has all the amenities a kid could ask for: pool, movies at night, water splash play area for small fry, water slide for smaller kids. There is a restaurant and reasonably well stocked store on site. Campsites very expensive, but many folks will enjoy the property and the location can't be beat.

This was the week before the Sturgis bike rally, and we wanted to stay in the area the following week, so we moved about 40 miles to Custer SD to Beaver Lake Campground. This is a family run place to the west of town with swimming pool, large water slide (extra cost but worth it, both my daughters 9 and 13 enjoyed it), and camp store. Very reasonably priced, friendly staff, clean restrooms. The unexpected fun twist was the rabbits, which the owners raise and which you may find under your trailer, beside the swimming pool, and which the kids delightfully chase around the property.

4. MMLM

MMLM
    Expand Collapse

I have a question about Colter Bay Campground vs CB RV park. We will be in the Tetons the first week of August this year and are just now planning our stay (we thought due to the recession crowds would be down - apparently NOT- Yellowstone NP sites basically completed booked for our 25ft trailer plus tow vehicle). Reservations can be made at the CB RV park but not at the campground. There are still spaces available at RV park. The reservation agent said the CB Campground (no hookups-understood-that's ok) is not filling up every night. What proportion of the sites there are large enough for us? Is it likely for us to get a space in the campground no first come first serve during prime season? Thanks in advance.

5. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MLMarek @ Jul 21 2009, 12:11 AM) [snapback]17634[/snapback]

I have a question about Colter Bay Campground vs CB RV park. We will be in the Tetons the first week of August this year and are just now planning our stay (we thought due to the recession crowds would be down - apparently NOT- Yellowstone NP sites basically completed booked for our 25ft trailer plus tow vehicle). Reservations can be made at the CB RV park but not at the campground. There are still spaces available at RV park. The reservation agent said the CB Campground (no hookups-understood-that's ok) is not filling up every night. What proportion of the sites there are large enough for us? Is it likely for us to get a space in the campground no first come first serve during prime season? Thanks in advance.

I would say about half the sites at CB Campground could handle your unit. Our fifth wheel is 28 feet and, with the truck, we are about 42 feet overall. Due to our special hitch, we need to be within 5 degrees of "straight on" to hook/unhook (what a joy that is!!) At CB, about half the sites on the C Loop would work for us....all of which were pull-thrus. The C Loop has the trail to the beach.

6. OregonPaula

OregonPaula
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(snorebel @ Jul 18 2009, 08:14 AM) [snapback]17581[/snapback]

can anyone help me out with 3/n stay 35ft fifth wheel. colter bay rv park or colter bay campground can get by without hook ups but prefer then on to Hill City SD any campground recomondations

7. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

MaineDon

If you are going to be there in the summer you will need to have reservations.