Great Product For Your Rv

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bud in Florida, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I just had steer safe installed on my 2000 Allegro Bay. Boy does it make a world of difference. Before I had very sensitive steering. Also, got a little wander when a big rig passed me. I had to keep both hands on the wheel and the unit would wander a bit on crowned roads.
    Had the steer safe installed at Camping World-- even had a coupon for 75% off installation. Now the unit just goes right down the middle of the road! No wander-- big rigs don't phase me! I can steer with one hand. Plus have the added protection if there is a blow out. This is a wonderful product. There is another product called Safety steer, which is a bit more expensive and does the same thing. I just love this product and would suggest all of you look into getting it on your unit!

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Bud,

I looked at one years ago. We did not buy it due to no problems to fix. Everything you said we now have. Two 18 wheel trucks can pass on each side as same time and I can not feel anything in steering wheel. No wander off any type of roads. Same time I replaced tires I had the MH checked to see if wheels were set correct, no problems were found. I understand from other RV people this "steer safe" works very well. The only problem we have found is in high winds out west. This year is was blowing 18 wheel trucks around same as our MH. We all had to slow to 45 MPH to stay on road. It is called cross winds, or west to east. I do not think anything would help this.

3. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

That is great John. I wouldn't add it if everything is satisfactory. My unit is a 2000 and the stearing was a little loose and required constant attention. Now I can drive with one hand. Great improvement. I put this on a Class C I had years ago and it helped that unit a bunch. I agree that I do not think it would help when "slab sided vehicles" are getting blown around!

4. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We purchased a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer as a new unit, but hated the steering system on the Workhorse chassis. After driving the unit a little over 700 miles, we had a rear stabilizer bar installed, by our local Camping World store, to correct a condition known as "the tail wagging the dog". What a difference !!! We have added other systems to the chassis steering and suspension, each making an improvement. Other additions were: "steer safe", and the replacement of the stock, (Monroe), shock absorbers with gas pressure "Bilstein" shocks. Note that for a reason unknown to myself, that for the 2003 Vacationer, Monroe shocks were used. They did not do the job, were sub-standard in comparison to the Bilsteins. Was told that the Monroes were used because the Bilsteins were not available, for whatever the reason. So each "add on" improved the handling and ride aspect. It is now a pleasure to drive---safely !!!

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Butch,

Please tell me more about rear stabilizer bars. We drive a 2005 37' Class A with toad. We have always felt that the back end sways too much. We previously owned a 35' coach that was the same brand (pulling the same toad) and it did not sway like this one does. We figured it must just be the 2 extra feet that made the difference. Is this condition what the rear stabilizer bar is for? We already have the steer safe system and think it helped a lot just like the other posters have said, but even with it we still have the rear end sway. Also do you mind if I ask what is the ballpark price for bar. Thanks for any information.

6. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Texasrvers:

The system I spoke of is called "Super Steer" and is a single bar with a mounting bracket on each end. On our Workhorse W-22 chassis, it mounts in the rear between the frame rail, on one end, and mounts to the center of the differential on the other end. It's purpose is to stop body roll. Without the stabilizer bar, the body rolls on the rear suspension, namely the springs assemblies. Take my word for it, "it works". After installation, even the wife commented on how nice the unit rode, no more sway going down the road. In fact she drives the motorhome, with toad, and has no problems. Tractor trailers pass us, cross winds, etc, without any rear end movement from the motorhome. It was scary before the installation. We purchased the assembly from Camping World, and had them install the bar and the steer safe at the same time at a cost of $ 910.00. The bar itself list for $ 554.00, but was on a special sale @ $ 390.00 at the time. Personally, I could not be more pleased with the outcome. When I posed the question to Workhorse as to why they did not include the bar on their chassis, their answer was that their engineers felt it was not needed. All I can say is bull, the long and short of it, from my position, is their cost. I have a very strong mechanical background for more than fifty years. Of course this is only my opinion, but again, we are well pleased with the outcome. Hope this material answered your questions, and or concerns.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Butch,

I really appreciate your information. I didn't mention that our motor home is on a Workhorse chassis also and therefore, probably does not have this bar. I just know that even when we are just driving straight down the road with no 18 wheelers passing or side wind blowing it really feels like the back end is fish tailing way too much. I will definitely look into the product. Thanks again.

8. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Texasrvers:

Super Steer does have a website, but do not have the ad handy. You describe the feeling of the rear of the coach fish tailing to a "tee". They refer to it as "the tail wagging the dog". You are most welcome, hope the information helps in solving your problem.

9. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I checked out the website. Thanks again.