Grilling Food In Banff/jasper Allowed Or Even Possible?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by paragon, Apr 29, 2013.

1. paragon

paragon
    Expand Collapse

My family and I have stayed in many state- and national parks in the USA but this summer we are going to Canada.

I can see various places where I need a fire permit to have a fire, but is that required to grill my dinner as well on a barbeque-grill? Also I can't seem to figure out whether or not there are even firepits/grills in any of the campgrounds in Banff or Jasper! Are there grills in the campsites (and if so, which?). So many US state parks have the grill right on the RV site which we think is awesome. We are coming in a rented RV in early June.

I'm sorry if I'm being daft and hope someone can help me out so I can plan our trip in the best possible way. :)

2. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Yes you can grill food on a barbecue but please make sure it is properly cleaned and put away after you have finished with it. There are a number of grizzly bears is the park and lots of black bears who would love the chance to help themselves to your grill and food given half a chance.

Here is the link to Banff National Park with details of prices and which campgrounds have fire pits
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/camping.aspx

Here is the link to their listof rules and regs., including the alcohol ban dates;
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/act...les-regles.aspx

This is the link to Jasper National Park;
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/activ/camping.aspx

You will also need to purchase a Park Pass which, if memory serves me correctly, is about $137 valid for 12 months.
    Alberta also has a number of Provincial Parks that do not require a park pass. Kananaskis being the most notable. I hope you have a great time.

3. paragon

paragon
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Hutch333id @ Apr 29 2013, 08:37 PM) [snapback]33244[/snapback]

Hi,

Yes you can grill food on a barbecue but please make sure it is properly cleaned and put away after you have finished with it. There are a number of grizzly bears is the park and lots of black bears who would love the chance to help themselves to your grill and food given half a chance.

Here is the link to Banff National Park with details of prices and which campgrounds have fire pits
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/camping.aspx

Here is the link to their listof rules and regs., including the alcohol ban dates;
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/act...les-regles.aspx

This is the link to Jasper National Park;
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/activ/camping.aspx

You will also need to purchase a Park Pass which, if memory serves me correctly, is about $137 valid for 12 months.
    Alberta also has a number of Provincial Parks that do not require a park pass. Kananaskis being the most notable. I hope you have a great time.

Thank you for the reply. Yes we never leave food or too much scent of it out! We are bear-aware. :)

However, in the ruleset you linked to, I still can't seem to find anything about grilling food? Also, is the fire permit required for that or is that for making a campfire?

4. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

The fire permits are just for having real fires. Grilling is allowed on barbecues without any form of permit.

Do please remember that gas is much more expensive than in the US and is also sold in liters. Also, our speeds are metric and the RCMP and Alberta Sheriffs aren't very forgiving. If you see a Dodge Caravan or Ford F150 parked on the shoulder lane, beware, it could be a photo radar speed trap.

Hope you have a great time. We're going the opposite way to you and heading down to Yellowstone for a couple of weeks in late June early July.

5. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

Just make sure your grill is a 'Weber'. No other grill Bar-B-Q's as good and lasts as long and they are bear proof.

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ May 3 2013, 07:20 PM) [snapback]33287[/snapback]

Just make sure your grill is a 'Weber'. No other grill Bar-B-Q's as good and lasts as long and they are bear proof.

I have a Weber but I was planning on putting it away each night. I assumed that leaving it out would not comply with the park's "Bare Campsite" policy.

7. paragon

paragon
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Hutch333id @ Apr 30 2013, 07:54 PM) [snapback]33258[/snapback]

Hi,

The fire permits are just for having real fires. Grilling is allowed on barbecues without any form of permit.

Do please remember that gas is much more expensive than in the US and is also sold in liters. Also, our speeds are metric and the RCMP and Alberta Sheriffs aren't very forgiving. If you see a Dodge Caravan or Ford F150 parked on the shoulder lane, beware, it could be a photo radar speed trap.

Hope you have a great time. We're going the opposite way to you and heading down to Yellowstone for a couple of weeks in late June early July.

Yellowstone is gorgeous. Been there twice and I have told my wife I want my ashes spread there somehow. ;-) We are used to the metric system being europeans, and have noticed that there are far more police/sheriffs on the roads in North America than over here, so always drive nice. :) Have a great trip, and thanks again!