Half-price Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by slabman, Oct 28, 2007.

1. slabman

slabman
    Expand Collapse

We pulled into a campground in Ruidoso NM last night and noticed a sign on the door, saying "If you're rude, go away", or something to that effect. When the owner quoted the price, I mentioned the half-off club price to which he commented "those spots are already taken". So I chuckled and said "that's what they all say". I WAS laughing and trying to appeal to his humorous side, but I guess not. He handed back my registration slip. saying "You can't stay here, not going to put up with this". So we left.

Now I'm not a novice at this club thing. I see it as another way to market one's business, but I do get tired of them having an excuse for why it doesn't apply to you or I in too many instances. Once they have you on-site, who is going to leave? I think we should all understand what this marketing approach is all about and not expect too much.

The campground is the Bonito Sundance RV Park in Ruidoso NM.

2. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for sharing your experience. This type of information is exactly what is needed for the Rving public to make a decision, on an establishment, to spend your monies and time on. Thanks again.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Have you read the reviews for this park on this site? Very interesting. We like to go to Ruidoso so I have been reading them with interest for over a year now. I have never stayed at this park or even seen it for that matter, but when I first read the reviews I really questioned why most of the good reviews mentioned the owners name. I felt pretty sure he was writing all the good reviews, and one dissatisfied customer was writing all the bad ones. After reading this post I used the new feature to check out if I was right. As it turned out the bad reviews seem to be by different people who also wrote nice reviews about other parks. Ironically many of the good reviews were by people who had no others listed. Hmmmm. I have nothing against this park. I do not know anything other than what I've read here. I'm just commenting.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(slabman @ Oct 28 2007, 09:27 AM) [snapback]8879[/snapback]

We pulled into a campground in Ruidoso NM last night and noticed a sign on the door, saying "If you're rude, go away", or something to that effect. When the owner quoted the price, I mentioned the half-off club price to which he commented "those spots are already taken". So I chuckled and said "that's what they all say". I WAS laughing and trying to appeal to his humorous side, but I guess not. He handed back my registration slip. saying "You can't stay here, not going to put up with this". So we left.

Now I'm not a novice at this club thing. I see it as another way to market one's business, but I do get tired of them having an excuse for why it doesn't apply to you or I in too many instances. Once they have you on-site, who is going to leave? I think we should all understand what this marketing approach is all about and not expect too much.

Isn't that "bait and switch?" :angry:

JJ

5. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I recently signed up for Passport America. It is now offered at a campground I use often and have already saved the cost of membership-- but I would love to hear other people's experiences with Passport America. I did notice that some of the campgrounds do have limits on nights or seasons, but seems to me that if sites are available they should charge the published rate.

6. Joe-n-Doe

Joe-n-Doe
    Expand Collapse

We have used PPA and found most Parks to be adequate to good...and the price was right.

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Our only experience with a Passport America Cg was not good. We are not PA enrollees but our friends from Florida were and as we were traveling together we stayed at a PA Cg in upstate New York. The Cg was Seaway Island Resort at Fineview NY, in the Thousand Island area, and a review was written and posted on site. I realize that this was our only encounter with a PA Cg but once you are burned you shy away from all of them. The place should have been closed and bulldozed, what a dump!

8. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

While I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, two thoughts come to mind when I think about "discount" or "half-price" campgrounds: (1) You get what you pay for. (2) There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. :)

9. Lee and Jacque

Lee and Jacque
    Expand Collapse

We have been PA members for several years and have found most campgrounds to be average to very good with a few bad ones. After finding this site I always try to find the park we are considering visiting here to see what others have to say about it. I also never make reservations until we have seen the park.

We are full time in a motorhome and use this site often and really appreciate the help we have gotten from it.

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ Oct 29 2007, 07:24 AM) [snapback]8909[/snapback]

I recently signed up for Passport America. It is now offered at a campground I use often and have already saved the cost of membership-- but I would love to hear other people's experiences with Passport America. I did notice that some of the campgrounds do have limits on nights or seasons, but seems to me that if sites are available they should charge the published rate.

This was a timely topic. I happen to be staying in a PPA CG that I just reviewed and gave it a 2 rating. I’m in it only because it’s the only one in a place that I have to be. The pain of being in a dumpy facility is a bit less because I paid 50% of what I considered a high price to start with.

I’ve had a PPA card for a couple years and it’s also been my experience that at least half the campgrounds that offer that discount wouldn’t be up to most RVers standard. There are some very nice exceptions. I’ve used the card in a few four and five star places.

It’s true that you have to read the fine print on when and how a campground will honor the card. Even so, the PPA directory isn’t always up to date with that info. I have found it best to do a drive by and see if I want to be in the park to start with. If so, then I call them and ask if a PPA discount is available. Then I make my decision to keep going or not.

PPA is just another tool to save some bucks on campground fees. If you can get a 50% discount for 2-3 days then it will pay for itself. That can’t be said of the other cards with a 10% discount. And I’ve also been to some low standard parks that honor those cards.

And Beastdriver, the free lunch is at Golden Corral November 11 after 5 pm if you are a military veteran. They do it every year.

11. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

RLM: Thanks for the comment on the free lunch at the Golden Corral on Veterans Day. I go every year and, as a veteran who has paid a lot of dues, I assure you it ain't free.

12. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(slabman @ Oct 28 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]8879[/snapback]

The campground is the Bonito Sundance RV Park in Ruidoso NM.

[attachmentid=80]

Last I heard, he commited suicide. Very tragic. Aparently he stabbed himself in the back 5 times and then he threw himself off of freeway bridge. What a way to go.... LOL.

[attachmentid=81]

13. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Nov 1 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]8982[/snapback]

While I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, two thoughts come to mind when I think about "discount" or "half-price" campgrounds: (1) You get what you pay for. (2) There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. :)

Like Hillary Clinton says about Monica,.....

[attachmentid=82]

[attachmentid=84]