Harpers Ferry KOA

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Laura, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Laura

Laura
    Expand Collapse

The location was great, the sites were below par, but the service was horrible. In a few cases, the hookups were 25 to 30 feet from the optimal location for parking your RV.

The store was well stocked, but the way you were treated meant that you would never go back in. It took forever to get checked in as they were very slow and misserable. They had price tags on items, but would not honor those tags and made it look like it was your fault for trying to buy it! They did not treat the children as well as other KOA's. They were nasty in enforcing their curfews (10 pm - and did not like us watching a movie on TV outside). They rode around in golf carts, and God help you if you were walking on that road! Charged extra for children & the dog!

I do not recommend this campground!

2. BiGKaT

BiGKaT
    Expand Collapse

I agree it is a bad campground. I talked with a work camper there who mentioned that many people he has talked to have expressed their dissatisfaction to him as management does not listen.
    I went there off season and they would not honor the discount cards. I was charged the same price (offseason) that was charged to everyone else. I asked them what the purpose of the cards were if I got charged the same as everyone else and they told me they "don't honor the cards " and the rates were reduced because of it being off season. They were not overly rude but, then again, they were not friendly either. I wrote a letter to KOA headquaters along with a copy of my receipt and they apologized for the behavior of that Campground. I then received a letter from the Harpers ferry campground telling me they were sorry that everyone has different expectations about campgrounds and that was the way they did things. They told me that KOA's are individually owned and not to judge all KOAs the same. It is odd that their policy is different from the policy of the Headquaters. I guess they get enough one time travelers that they don't need the repeat business.
    The pond they advertise was very small and dirty as well as having a film of oil on the surface. There was trash around the site, long overgrown grass in and around the storage yard . I was fortunate to get a metered site for the one night I was there and I didn't end up in the upper lot with the RV's stacked on top of each other. Of course, that is as fortunate as you can be to be stuck on the side of a campground facing a building. But it was much better than the alternatives.
    The site itself could be an excellent campground with better management. I have stayed in about a dozen KOA's and was pleased with everyone of them except for the Harpers Ferry site. Not that all of them were perfect but all the others so far have tried to make a stay as pleasant as possible.

3. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

We tried it last year in the fall and had a poor site too. The staff was rude and there was no service. I had to move a pole that held the trash can to getr my Motorhome out of the Pull through since there was not enough room to make the swing and not hit the unit infront of me. The only good thing was the nature presentation. I would notstay there again. In fact I just returned from the Hagerstown KOA and would not stay at any of them on the east coast again. They have all seemed very small, older and rundown.

4. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

I went to the review pages for Maryland to compare any other reviews but lo and behold no one has posted a review for this park. Wonder if any of the three of you would go ahead and leave an official review of the park for others to see. I suspect lots of visitors don't look to the discussion forum for the reviews. I sure didn't.

5. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Sunflyer @ Jul 1 2004, 08:45 PM)
    I went to the review pages for Maryland to compare any other reviews but lo and behold no one has posted a review for this park. Wonder if any of the three of you would go ahead and leave an official review of the park for others to see. I suspect lots of visitors don't look to the discussion forum for the reviews. I sure didn't.

Low and behold, Harper's Ferry KOA reviews are located in the West Virginia review pages...don't think you'd find them on the Maryland pages since the campground is in West Virginia. And, if you read those reviews they pretty much go along the lines with what these people have stated in this discussion. :rolleyes:

6. BiGKaT

BiGKaT
    Expand Collapse

Hi John,
    Too bad you didn't opt for the jellystone in Hagerstown. I stayed there twice last October and November and was very happy with them. Don't really know how they would be when completely full but the Staff was great to us. The first time I camped there it was almost empty, and the second time was about 3/4 full. Like the KOA's , a bit pricey, but very clean and well run. I almost stayed at that KOA, now I'm glad I didn't :)
    Bob

7. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

Ok now I feel stupid....of course you are right....it's on the other side of the river.
    DUHHHH!!!! :huh: :blink: :rolleyes:

8. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Sunflyer @ Jul 5 2004, 08:24 PM)
    Ok now I feel stupid....of course you are right....it's on the other side of the river.
    DUHHHH!!!! :huh: :blink: :rolleyes:

You're not stupid at all...I thought perhaps you got that information from the KOA website since I believe for many years they have been listing the Harper's Ferry KOA as being located in Maryland. I've questioned them many times as to why they do that, but have never gotten an answer.

9. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Hi BigKat,

I tried but they were full up that weekend. I am out in Iowa now in a wonderful little town campground for 10 dollars a night and am one of two MH in here right now.

John