Have Suggestion For Beachfront Park?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by HoosierCamp'nGirl, Dec 6, 2007.

1. HoosierCamp'nGirl

HoosierCamp'nGirl
    Expand Collapse

We are looking for a beachfront (or within walking distance) ocean park. We travel with a 27 ft travel trailer, F350, and 4 (as well behaved as can be) kids. We would like a ocean front stay on the east coast, northern Florida, Louisiana, or Mississippi. Everyone's reviews have been helpful to us finding great parks to stay at making us feel like we are "experienced" and have the inside scoop, even though 2007 was our first summer in our T.T. It's really nice knowing what to expect before you get somewhere and the tips about restaurants to telling us to look out for a certain stop sign are so appreciated. I'm so glad we found this site! Thanks Guys!
    Heather

2. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

i was just browsing the new reviews and two were there that you might be interested in.
    henderson beach state park
    destin rv resort
    i haven't been there, but the got some nice reviews. both are up in the florida panhandle. i'm sure the are other people on this site that will give you more and better info.at least i got you started.
    good luck

3. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hoosier....

It might help if you let your potential helpers know a few more specifics. When are you planning to take this trip: soon, January, next spring? What sort of park are you looking for: state park, plain RV park, a resort? What is important to you: full hookups, recreational (playground, pool, etc.) facilities for the kids, cable, WIFI? Otherwise, you will have people wasting their time suggesting nice parks that don't meet your needs and wants.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think you will find anything on coastal Louisiana. The Louisiana Gulf coast isn't exactly known for beaches. Plus, I see only two coastal towns with camprounds and they may not have recovered from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Many of the few near beach Mississippi parks have also been slow to reopen to the public. Additionally, you didn't mention Alabama. Gulf Shores has some nice parks.

Good luck.

4. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Check out Jetty Park at Port Canaveral Fl. Nice place, fishing pier, playground, etc Also, might check out Sebastian Inlet and Anastasia State parks in Fla. I think with the kids, Jetty Park would be good and you might catch a shuttle launch

5. Joe-n-Doe

Joe-n-Doe
    Expand Collapse

If Northeast Florida interests you, consider Ft. Clinch State Park on Amelia Island. Amelia Island is just North of Jacksonville. Ft. Clinch sits at the mouth of the St. Mary's River and separates Florida from Georgia. Across the river in Georgia is Cumberland Island National Park. There are 2 campground at Ft. Clinch, one on the beach and one on the Amelia/St. Mary's Rivers. There is actually a large moated, brick fort in the park that overlooks the mouth of the river. It is staffed with each day with recreators. If you are lucky, you'll see a Trident Sub from Kings Bay Naval Submarine Station entering or leaving.

I live less than 5 miles away and have not stayed there. Only visited the park many times.

6. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

We frequent Jekyll Island which is not on the beach, but a short bike ride to the beach. Jekyll is great with kids because there are bike trails on the entire island that are easy to ride. My 6 year old at the time rode the entire island in one day. We have also been to Topsail Hill near Destin. Not a lot of amenities for kids except the beach but it was great bike riding and the sites are extremely nice. We have also been to Myrtle Beach, but did not like the large campgrounds. Panama City Beach Rv Resort is also nice and it is a short walk to the beach. A lot of people like ST Andrews at PC, but we have never visited it. I hope this helps.

7. campdog1

campdog1
    Expand Collapse

There is Kathryn Hanna Abby (Hanna Park) in Jacksonville. It is a City park with miles of beach access. The campground is located in a heavily oak wooded portion just behind the dunes. We enjoy Hanna because the campsites are all full hook ups and have a lot of separation between them. Be sure to take your bicycles. There are a lot of bike trails and roadways. Some very good seafood restaurants in nearby Mayport.

8. flourpedal

flourpedal
    Expand Collapse

Definitely check out Hunting Island State Park right outside Beaufort, SC. It is a wonderful park, with electric and water hookups, clean showers, and nice volunteers that run the place. Check the reviews for it here on the site. I stayed there for a few days in November at the recommendation of a friend and it was a wonderful place! The site I occupied was right on the beachfront.
    I don't think you would be disappointed at all.

SS

9. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I would suggest you look at Beverly Beach Camptown in Beverly Beach, Florida, just north of Flagler Beach, Florida. This campground, which is about five miles from my house, is truly an oceanfront park. Whenever we go there, the front of our motorhome is literally hanging over the ocean and the seawall. Fantastic views. This is not an "oceanview" park, but is an "oceanfront park" with good restaurants nearby. A bit pricey but you will like it. Fishing is great there, also, and many people sit in front of their RV and fish right in the ocean.

10. Oakman

Oakman
    Expand Collapse

Have you looked at the Myrtle Beach, SC area? Ocean Lakes, Pirateland, and Lakewood are all at the beach and in an excellent area for kids. Lots to do in Myrtle Beach.

11. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I can sure second the suggestion on Katherine Hanna Park in Jacksonville, FL area. It is a city owned park. Very wood, 450 acres, walking distanc to beach, very clean and nice sites, fairly cheap, and the seafood in Mayport is out of this world. Only problem is that the Navy base is nearby and some helochopters fly around at 3,000 feet every once and a while. Didn't bother us. To see some photos, click below.

http://www.linandnancy.com/hanna1.html

12. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

We are thinking about trying Katherine Hanna between Christmas and New Years this year. Would like to know more specifics on the park for that time of year if you get a chance. We have heard good things about that park.

13. PENNY

PENNY
    Expand Collapse

:D We like Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine Beach, Fl. Beautiful campground, inexpensive and many activities and sites to see nearby. Also, we will be trying the Florida Keys this year and staying at John Pennekamp and Bahia Honda state parks. We have 2 teenage boys and a dog.
    On the Outerbanks of North Carolina, we like the KOA Rodanthe. Just walk over the dunes to the Ocean. We have stayed there in a travel trailer as well as in our current motorhome. Enjoy RVing, there is no better way to travel with a family.

14. Curb Appeal Materials.com

Curb Appeal Materials.com
    Expand Collapse

Best beach front RV park by far is Camping on the Gulf in Destin FL or www.campgulf.com Beautiful beach and water. Very clean bathroom SUITES with jimmy buffet piped in. This is on the beach and the best one we've found bar none. Nice area with good resturants and plenty of things to do. We go twice a year. B)