Hill Country - Texas

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jackie & Tony, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

OK - it' me again. I've read about how great Hill Country is. I need help - where is the "Hill Country"? We wanted to travel west on the I-10 from San Antonio, but if it's not too far off our path we would like to see some of the area. So, which towns and which routes are recommended?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Jackie and Tony,

I-10 runs right through the Texas “Hill Country.” If you look at a Texas map start at San Antonio which sits on the southeast corner of the region. Go north up I-35 to Austin. From there go northwest on Hwy 183 to about Goldthwaite. There isn’t a straight highway, but go on a line west to just south of San Angelo. Take Hwy 277 south to Hwy 90 in Del Rio. Take Hwy 90 east back to San Antonio and you have driven the approximate boundaries of the Hill Country.

Where to stay? I’ll answer that on your previous post.

Things to see and do? So much and so little time! In SA be sure to sample Mexican food. The flavor here is known as Tex-Mex. Best places—Los Barrios, Mi Tierra Cafe and Bakery (don't miss the bakery), La Margarita, and many more. Mi Tierra and La Margarita are both in the El Mercado area that Cheryl mentioned in your other post. BBQ—Rudy’s or County Line. (Sorry Cheryl, but Bill Miller’s doesn’t come close. But that’s just a local person’s opinion.) In Texas BBQ brisket is great. Burgers--Chris Madrid’s. As for sight seeing of course don’t miss the Alamo and the other missions which aren’t as well known but still interesting. The Riverwalk is a must, but this is the time that they drain and clean it. That only lasts about a week so it may have water again by the time you get here. See it whether it has water or not.

Hill Country towns and sites? Boerne (pronounced burney), Fredericksburg, Kerrville, New Braunfels and Gruene (pronounced green) are all known for antiques. Bandera has a cowboy flavor with dude ranches. Lyndon B. Johnson State Park near Johnson City has the Johnson home and ranch where Lady Bird still lives. The area around Marble Falls, Burnet, Inks Lake, Lake LBJ and Lake Buchanan is beautiful especially in spring when the bluebonnets bloom. We can get them as early as February if the weather is right. Will you be here that long? This area is also a winter home to bald eagles, and there is a cruise you can take to see them. Just outside of Fredericksburg is Enchanted Rock State Park. There’s also Longhorn Cavern and Natural Bridge Caverns which also has a wildlife park.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. If there’s anything special that you are interested in or if there are any specific activities you like to do or things you want to see, I’d be glad to help further. Welcome to our area and we hope you have a great time.

3. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Texasrvers, you have given us such a lot of great information, now we are going to research the campgrounds to see where we'll stay in the Hill country, after leaving SA.

4. PatJ3

PatJ3
    Expand Collapse

Try Fredrickburg RV Park in Fredericksburg. It does not have activities for kids, but is a nice clean park.

Thanks for listening.

5. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone have a favorite parks in Kerrville???

6. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Try Buckhorn Lake Resort in Kerrville. This is a top notch park that has been reviewed several times on this site.

7. J59T

J59T
    Expand Collapse

That Buchhorn Resort right on 10 is what ALL RV parks should strive to be like! It is gorgeous, quiet and very nice. Clean pool and spa area, nice wide concrete pads, etc. We only stayed 1 night, wish we coud've stayed longer.

Fredericksburg is great. I'd stay in Kerrville and take the day trip up to Fredericksburg and over to Stonewall to LBJ's ranch.

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Look at Schreiner State Park or Buckhorn Lake Resort at 800-568-6458 for the the good stuff. Did you get the motorhome fixed in Lafayette?

9. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Buckhorn or Guadalupe River Resort campgrounds...in that order.

If you have the time and want to do something a little different, I would suggest that you take a couple hours and tour the Mooney aircraft factory in Kerrville. Call them to see what days of the week the tours are given. 830-896-6000.

If your trip is in the April time frame, check out Enchanted Rock. There's no place better to see bluebonnets. Lotsa Kodak moments.

Rich

PS: And BBQ in this state means BEEF, not pork. (-:

10. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

Texasrvers and other Texans, do you think it's feasible to stay in Boerne and travel into San Antonio each day for a few days? We thought that staying at the Alamo Fiesta might be a good idea.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hi Jackie and Tony,

Yes, you can stay out in Boerne and drive in. Lots of people live out that far and drive in to work each day. We live 45 miles to the north of SA, and it is not a bad drive. Course we don't go in everyday. Just watch out for rush hour traffic. I-10 is notorious for its traffic jams. I would suggest waiting until after 9 am to go in and then be out before 4 pm or else wait until after 6:30 or 7 pm. You could have a nice dinner in town and then drive out.

Boerne is a quaint little town with lots of antique and craft stores. But it also has a big Walmart and HEB grocery. Alamo Fiesta sits on the south side of town right off I-10 so you can jump on it and you'll be in SA in no time.

Hope you have a great time here.

12. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

Oh thanks that's great. Approximately how long would it take to get downtown from Alamo Fiesta - presuming there are no traffic jams?

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Probably about 30-40 minutes without any heavy traffic.

14. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I should have said that 30-40 minutes should get you all the way to the downtown area. You'll actually start to see parts of SA 15 minutes after you start down I-10.

Hope you enjoy our city. (We lived there for 31 years, but reitred a little farther out "in the country.") Have fun.

15. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

Texasrvers, thanks you've been an awesome help - I might need to call upon you again before we get to Sn Antonio which should be around March 1st.

16. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

You are so welcome. Just give us a yell if you need to.