How Do You Deal With Responses From The Campgrounds?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by AWMIII, Jun 7, 2007.

1. AWMIII

AWMIII
    Expand Collapse

Today I got an angry emailed response to a review that I submitted that I see as completely fair. How do you deal with that situation. Arguing with the cg owner via email is a no-win situtation.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Reviews submitted here are done anonymously. Unless you put your email address in your review (which I can't see the webmaster letting that slip by), I'm just curious, how did the campground owner know how to contact you?

3. AWMIII

AWMIII
    Expand Collapse

I think they have so few visiting campers that they knew who we were by our coments and had our email address from when we made our reservations.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

AWMIII,

Did you give out your e-mail address at this campground? I never write it down anytime we sign into a campground. Also how did owner know that you wrote the report? I have never found any e-mail addresses from anyone in comments. What you wrote up had to standout in campground owners mind. I would not answer his e-mail and let it die. Your IPS address is on his WiFi system but most park owners could not find owner of laptop if you do not have the correct software and know how to use it.

5. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Just curious, how many reviews have you done?

6. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I would not answer his e-mail and let it die.

I agree. Also, you can block their email address from your email so they can't send you anything else.

7. AWMIII

AWMIII
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jun 7 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]7230[/snapback]

AWMIII,

Did you give out your e-mail address at this campground? I never write it down anytime we sign into a campground. Also how did owner know that you wrote the report? I have never found any e-mail addresses from anyone in comments. What you wrote up had to standout in campground owners mind. I would not answer his e-mail and let it die. Your IPS address is on his WiFi system but most park owners could not find owner of laptop if you do not have the correct software and know how to use it.

I reserved online. Thats how they had my email. They did not have wifi. They also carbon copied our friends who referred us. I am going to respond once in a professional manner then let it die. After all, I rated them a 2/10 not a 1/10! It is the only review of the park on this syetem As far as how many reviews have I done? I have done 3 (2 positives and a negative), but I have been reading reviews here for a long time.

8. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

AWMMIII> It seems to me that this particular CG has more problems than just your 2 rating.

If it is a member of any of the campground organizations like Good Sams, FMCA or has a rating by TL or Woodalls, I'd suggest sending a copy of his email to those groups. They might be interested in responding on your behalf.

I am in agreement on not giving out your primary email address. Let the campground figure out how to contact you. It's their job, not your's. You can also get a free email account from Google or Yahoo and set up a spam blocker system. Use it for these situations.

Don't back off from your reviews. We all need the negatives as well as the positives.

Rick

9. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I'll be the one to ask. Where is this campground and what is it's name?

10. jillmaui

jillmaui
    Expand Collapse

11. dmsscs

dmsscs
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jillmaui @ Jun 9 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]7253[/snapback]

yeah!

It may be just me, but when I have a really bad experience in a park, I go to management to let them know what the problem is so they can take action to correct it if they feel it is a legitimate problem. I try to do it while the problem is active. If you are complaining a bout a noisy camper, don't wait till the next day when everything is nice, if they try to talk to the people they will just deny it, but if you have them come to the site while it is happening, no one can deny it. If there is a clogged toilet, let them know as soon as you see it so they can take action. Why would you wait til you were ready to leave then say the restrooms were messy? Give them the opportuniy to make it right, if they don't, if they ignore the situation, then review it poorly. But if you say the restrooms were a mess, but as soon as we told them, they sent some one to fix it, well, then they are responding appropriately. Most parks have regular cleaning schedules, if someone makes a mess between cleanings, I am sure they would like to know. So tell them in a nice way, hey someone wrote I Love Jimmy in poop on the walls of the thrid stall in. :blink: Then you can deal with the response from the campground face to face!

12. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

I never give my home phone, always a cell phone. I used "disposable" email addresses such as gmail.com.

In the past 10 years, I have only had one serious issue about a campground, and I had it with the owner. It was a KOA, so I complained, very loudly to the KOA customer service since the owner was not receptive.

I did get the satisfaction to know that he did not win the "Presidents Award" that year.

13. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

If you are comfortable that your review was objective and on target, move on. Sometimes the truth is hard to hear.

I had a similar situation a couple years ago in a slightly different way. I had given my opinion of a particularly rundown campground on a thread on an rv forum. The owner used the private mail function to rant and rave at me and BAN me forever from her park. Like I would ever go back there. I copied her response to the thread. People jumped in pro and con until a couple of folks local to the park decided to check it out for themselves and confirmed my observation that the place was an aging poorly maintained dump.

She got far more negative publicity by going after me than she ever got from one comment on a thread that would quickly have disappeared if she had let it go.

The place is still a dump.