How To Report An Incorrect Map Location

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by wpr, Jul 29, 2010.

1. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi everybody,

In the older topics I did not find any that addressed my question. I quite frequently check out the map locations of parks that interest me. Often I come across a map location shown that has the mention "Park location not yet verified". In that case I simply indicate the park's location if I know it. But quite often I find incorrect park locations given, off by a few hundred feet or up to more than 60 miles. Coy Lake Campground in Gagetown, New Brunswick, Canada comes to mind. As these locations are not under review, I can not correct them.

Now, how to I go about to report and/or correct the wrong information?

In other words, how can we all help to make this excellent site even better with more precise information?

2. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wprigge @ Jul 29 2010, 06:52 AM) [snapback]23215[/snapback]
    In other words, how can we all help to make this excellent site even better with more precise information?

You just did it!

This is the appropriate place to report map errors. We'll get it fixed.

Thanks.

3. lauriefla

lauriefla
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Denali @ Jul 29 2010, 12:01 PM) [snapback]23216[/snapback]

You just did it!

This is the appropriate place to report map errors. We'll get it fixed.

Thanks.

In that case, I have another correction to submit.. I found the error while looking through all the reviews, planning our trip. :D

This park review has Altoona spelled incorrectly.. (Altonna, PA) :blink:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Penns...ia/Altonna.html
    The campground is Wright's Orchard Station Campground.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Penns...ncansville.html
    This is the same campground..Wright's Orchard Station Campground... correctly placed in Duncansville, PA. :)

4. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(lauriefla @ Jul 31 2010, 07:43 PM) [snapback]23253[/snapback]

In that case, I have another correction to submit.. I found the error while looking through all the reviews, planning our trip. :D

This park review has Altoona spelled incorrectly.. (Altonna, PA) :blink:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Penns...ia/Altonna.html
    The campground is Wright's Orchard Station Campground.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Penns...ncansville.html
    This is the same campground..Wright's Orchard Station Campground... correctly placed in Duncansville, PA. :)

Thanks. We'll get it fixed.

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

This brings up another question. In posting a review, which is appropriate: putting down the location based on their mailing address or the physical location?

I posted a recent review where the mailing address was a town 25 miles from where the CG was physically located. Since mine was not the original review, and everyone had put the town based on mailing address, I did not change it.

Where this comes into play is if you find yourself somewhere on a map and are looklng for a campground there, you might not find one because it's posted based on a the mailing address.

I am also wondering if I had changed the info to the physical location, would the data base have picked up that new town?

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

RLM,

You point out good information. We try to stay with the physical location if possible. As you point out the mailing address can be miles away and now the map pin is way off as well. To change the data base information or change wrong information use the (Contact Us) at bottom of all pages. We try to keep the information correct here.

7. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Aug 1 2010, 06:06 PM) [snapback]23271[/snapback]

To change the data base information or change wrong information use the (Contact Us) at bottom of all pages. We try to keep the information correct here.

Will do, thanks.